Home General Discussion

What do some of your most favorite cigars taste like?

Just checking on you guys that have developed your taste when you smoke cigars. I'm still developing my palate, but I think it's getting better. I taste a little leather, some pepper, creaminess in some, and when I smoke the kind, I taste chocolate/coffee. What flavors do you encounter with your very favorite cigars?

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya know, with me it's kinda strange. The more cigars I try in the course of searching for "The" one, the more they all taste like.... cigars. I know my palate is developing somewhat because I can tolerate fuller-bodied smokes more than when I began but, still, they pretty much taste like cigars.

I'm getting ready to start trying some of the infused sticks that I've been turning up my nose at until now. I think maybe the Java line or something similar may be interesting. Early on in my cigar obsession there was a blend by one of Rocky Patel's companies called "Fire". It was made by Indian Tabac. I really loved that blend but after a while he discontinued it and now they can't be found anywhere. All part of life in the search for the perfect smoke, I guess.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    most of my favorite cigars recently have a creamy musk taste. another favorite is a nuttier taste. i also enjoy a subtle sweetness.
  • joshvoigtjoshvoigt Posts: 325
    Tobacco. Most of my cigars taste like tobacco
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    chocolate and sweet cream. I also enjoy the nutty taste sometimes. just plain tobacco taste sucks.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    I like a rich creamy taste and texture to the smoke, hints of sweetness/chocolate.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a difficult question to answer. I like a bit of pepper thru the nose, and I like hints of coco and coffee,
    I've had some that just coat your palate with a subtle flavor that I cant quite place ( licorice is the closest I can come up with) but it just leaves me craving more. The Torano exodus 1959 is one of these(RCY gifted me some) It's tuff to stop at one.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    for me its usually one of three profiles, depending on my mood

1. Lots of leather, a bit of spice and sweetness an a medium finish - Something like a aged Diesel UHC

2. Creamy, nutty, oaky, and musty with a looooooooong finish - I get some of those from an avo domaine or a camacho diploma after theve rested for a while.

3. I'm also an ex chewer though so sometimes I crave cigars that really emphasize the taste of rich tobacco - and for me its a DPG Blue and a Diesel unlimited.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the cigar. With the Obsidian, I picked up a lot of cedar, some leather and a hint of chocolate. The Macanudo Cru Royale I had a few weeks ago was full of pepper and spice. I've smoked, on and off, since college(20 yrs ago) and I still don't consider my palette to be "educated", but it seems that every new cigar gives me something different.
  • jasonusa1jasonusa1 Posts: 729
    Weeeeeeeeeed
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woody ,nutty ,creamy. Or spicy, leathery. Or sweet, chocolaty
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    For me, my favorite flavors are fruit (stone fruits, cherries, raisins, apple), really oily leather, floral flavors, herbal flavors (thinking Rafael Gonzalez here), Cinnamon, Nutmeg, musk. Not a huge fan of the darker stuff, chocolate, coffee, black pepper, most of the time... but there are exceptions. It happens. Looking at this list, no wonder I am such an Opus ***...
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I like cigars that taste of strong tobacco with A lot of spice and pepper. Leather and cedar are bonuses that keep the cigars interesting.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    jasonusa1:
    Weeeeeeeeeed
    Where do your cigar blends come from? I've had a few that taste like this but could not pinpoint the location.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Salem:
    Just checking on you guys that have developed your taste when you smoke cigars. I'm still developing my palate, but I think it's getting better. I taste a little leather, some pepper, creaminess in some, and when I smoke the kind, I taste chocolate/coffee. What flavors do you encounter with your very favorite cigars?
    I haven't smoke any cigars lately cuz of work, but I taste my favorite flavors in the SL habano, spice , pepper, little leather and cream. Found a new favorite called rp vintage 2003. Nice cigar. Only smoked 2 so far. But they are nice. Creamy, just a tad peppery.

"Long ashes my friends."