Home Ratings & Reviews

Salem's Lot, a noob's review and reflections

I know there are many review posts here, but I wanted to do one from a very new noob's point of view. I don't know about the rest of the noobs here, but my pallet is not well developed yet, I don't know the wrappers, names of sizes etc. All I know is the name of the cigar and the taste, and whether I like it or not. This is a post where I want to post my thoughts on the cigars I smoke and I want other noobs to as well. Also, I want it to show how we will grow in our knowledge of cigars, and their wrappers, and sizes and anything else. I want this to be a post of progression for all us noobs and I think there are a lot of us.....Salem's lot...of reviews. So let it begin:

Today I smoked an A. Fuente Gran Reserva. It was a very short cigar. The appearance was a dark chocolate color. The smell was earthy. It cut easily and tasted very good pre-light at the mouth. This was the easiest to light of any cigar I have ever lit. Or it might be due to my trusty new Xikar lighter, I don't know. It lit easily and evenly and stayed even throughout the smoke.

Once lit, the draw was easy, but firm. No problem there. The taste of the cigar was of deep leather and some hints of pepper. I found it rather bold and it was a nice surprise. To me, it was the boldest cigar I have yet to smoke, but it was not overpowering. On into the smoke, surprisingly, it became a little more mellow, especially after the first ash came off.

All too soon, it was finished and I had to put it out. It was an excellent cigar and experience. I'm looking forward to my next A. Fuente! image

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Nice review. I'm glad you're expanding your horizons and developing your palate. One thing though. That's an Arturo Fuente Sungrown. Almost every Fuente has "Gran Reserva" on the band. Figuring out the different blends between the Fuentes can be confusing for new cigar enthusiasts.
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    wwhwang:
    Nice review. I'm glad you're expanding your horizons and developing your palate. One thing though. That's an Arturo Fuente Sungrown. Almost every Fuente has "Gran Reserva" on the band. Figuring out the different blends between the Fuentes can be confusing for new cigar enthusiasts.
    Oh, thank you, I did not know that. How do you know....it's not on the wrapper? (I don't think). Thank you.....I'm here to learn and is the purpose of this thread).
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    actually i believe thats a fuente hemingway short story. new banding.
    fuentejps:
    I looked it up and it does look like the pic of a Short Story.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Salem:
    wwhwang:
    Oh, thank you, I did not know that. How do you know....it's not on the wrapper? (I don't think). Thank you.....I'm here to learn and is the purpose of this thread).
    It can still be confusing sometimes, but the differences between the bands are almost unnoticable. Fuentejps might be right though. I haven't seen many other Fuentes that are perfectos, but I haven't hear of any band re-design.

The classic AF are just the red and gold bands with a little bit of green. Usually has a cedar sleeve with a green ribbon. AF Sungrown is the red and gold band with a bit of black with a black ribbon under the cedar sleeve (though the sungrown is usually a parejo and not a perfecto). AF Magnum R is red and gold with more red and gold under the words "Rosado Gran Reserva". AF Hemingway is the same band as the classic AF, but all Hemingways are perfectos (though like Fuentejps said, it may be rebanded now).
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    wwhwang:
    Salem:
    wwhwang:
    It can still be confusing sometimes, but the differences between the bands are almost unnoticable. Fuentejps might be right though. I haven't seen many other Fuentes that are perfectos, but I haven't hear of any band re-design.

The classic AF are just the red and gold bands with a little bit of green. Usually has a cedar sleeve with a green ribbon. AF Sungrown is the red and gold band with a bit of black with a black ribbon under the cedar sleeve (though the sungrown is usually a parejo and not a perfecto). AF Magnum R is red and gold with more red and gold under the words "Rosado Gran Reserva". AF Hemingway is the same band as the classic AF, but all Hemingways are perfectos (though like Fuentejps said, it may be rebanded now).
    Ehhh... Actually the Classics have green, Sungrown, Hemi, and Don Carlos have black under the band, Anejo has white.

The cigar in the picture above is a Hemingway Short Story. The only perfectos Fuente makes are the Hemingways.

I did a pretty long write up that should help you figure out what Fuente you have... A few posts down
    Thank you guys. I sure didn't realize it was so complicated!! :)
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hemingways FTW.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Great review, Rhonda. I've yet to have a bad Fuente. The Short Story has been one of my "I gotta try that" sticks for a long time now. Seems to be time for a journey to the B&M...
    Since I'm so new and in my infancy about cigars, I like to look up everything I can about a cigar before I smoke it. I didn't have as much time to do this today, but I did know I was smoking a very special cigar and that was relatively hard to get at times. Here's something I found about it, that I would usually look up beforehand.

".What goes into the perfect Short Story or any Fuente Hemingway? It starts with a select blend of Dominican leaves used for the filler and binder. You can almost taste the way of life enjoyed here in each puff – relaxed, familial, warm, and easy. These perfectos offer up a sumptuous feast of woody undertones overlaid with earthy nutmeg, cinnamon, and the aroma of a freshly cut hayfield. The Cameroon wrapper completes a well-balanced palate with a bit of spice that lingers, inviting the smoker to cool it off with a mouthful of a favorite complementary beverage. Maduro wrappers are used, too, but in very limited production, and are hard to find, though highly sought and enjoyed for their more robust flavor. Keep your eyes open around Christmas and again at Father’s Day, when the Fuentes obligingly open the vault and let a few more escape to the utter satisfaction of those who consume them."
    Toombes:
    Great review, Rhonda. I've yet to have a bad Fuente. The Short Story has been one of my "I gotta try that" sticks for a long time now. Seems to be time for a journey to the B&M...
    I do hope to improve my reviews as time goes by. And since you're a noob here Toombes, I would love for you to post your own reviews here too along with other noobs!
    Salem:
    Toombes:
    I do hope to improve my reviews as time goes by. And since you're a noob here Toombes, I would love for you to post your own reviews here too along with other noobs!

Just posted one on the Unholy Cocktail I had earlier this afternoon. Thanks for the invitation to mangle your thread with my mindless rantings.
    Toombes:
    Salem:
    Toombes:

Just posted one on the Unholy Cocktail I had earlier this afternoon. Thanks for the invitation to mangle your thread with my mindless rantings.
    I want all noobs to post here. Throw your review right on in here! Copy and paste it if you would like to go to the trouble!
    Old thread, but oh well... Had my first Unholy Cocktail today while freezing my butt off because of a 10mph wind blowing across my porch, but enough of the small talk. Pre-light it gave off an unearthly tobacco aroma with what appeared to be leather and pepper trying to hide in the background. Firm draw, but a quick stab with a draw-poker fixed that. A bit spicy on the dry draw. Toasting brought out the leather and black pepper even more, along with the natural sweetness of the Maduro wrapper. The first draw, after a brief rest once lit, hit me like a ton of bricks. This puppy was pretty strong. I've had the Shorty, which is supposedly stronger than the Cocktail, but this one was apparently on steroids. Less than an inch into the stick I was wishing I had something in my stomach besides coffee... But, not to be called a wienie, I powered through. Blasts of black pepper, leather, spice, cedar and what I believe to be black licorice coated my pallete while exhaling clouds of billowy white smoke. Sadly, shortly after finishing only half of the stick I began to pick up a bit of ammonia/tar taste. Taking longer breaks between draws proved to help, but only briefly. Alas, my smoke break was over. All in all, I consider the Unholy Cocktail to be one serious azz-kicking smoke, which I will happily enjoy again. After a good meal, of course... "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."- Winston Churchill
    Toombes:
    Old thread, but oh well... Had my first Unholy Cocktail today while freezing my butt off because of a 10mph wind blowing across my porch, but enough of the small talk. Pre-light it gave off an unearthly tobacco aroma with what appeared to be leather and pepper trying to hide in the background. Firm draw, but a quick stab with a draw-poker fixed that. A bit spicy on the dry draw. Toasting brought out the leather and black pepper even more, along with the natural sweetness of the Maduro wrapper. The first draw, after a brief rest once lit, hit me like a ton of bricks. This puppy was pretty strong. I've had the Shorty, which is supposedly stronger than the Cocktail, but this one was apparently on steroids. Less than an inch into the stick I was wishing I had something in my stomach besides coffee... But, not to be called a wienie, I powered through. Blasts of black pepper, leather, spice, cedar and what I believe to be black licorice coated my pallete while exhaling clouds of billowy white smoke. Sadly, shortly after finishing only half of the stick I began to pick up a bit of ammonia/tar taste. Taking longer breaks between draws proved to help, but only briefly. Alas, my smoke break was over. All in all, I consider the Unholy Cocktail to be one serious azz-kicking smoke, which I will happily enjoy again. After a good meal, of course... "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."- Winston Churchill
    Nice review Toombes, though it sounds like you got your butt almost whipped by that cigar, lol!!
    Salem:
    Toombes:
    Nice review Toombes, though it sounds like you got your butt almost whipped by that cigar, lol!!

Almost, Salem, but I was wearing my big-boy pants and managed to come out on top!
    Toombes:
    Salem:
    Toombes:

Almost, Salem, but I was wearing my big-boy pants and managed to come out on top!
    LOL! I'm glad you had your big boy pants on!!!!
    Salem:
    Toombes:
    Salem:
    Toombes:

LOL! I'm glad you had your big boy pants on!!!!

Well, I did have to pull them back up after this stick nearly spanked me but I got in the lucky kick and won...
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    the don carlos and hemingway lines are my favorite. mid last summer the band changed. i luv the shiorty but just not quit enough sometimes, my fave little cigar is the hem work of art then the classic.
    Now I know we have some noobs smoking!! How 'bout a review?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    fuentejps:
    yup, and a good cigar. Nice review Salem!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Salem, you should give a work of art or work of art maduro a try.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Salem, you should give a work of art or work of art maduro a try.
    I bet that is a good A. Fuente! I don't have one of those in my Humi. Maybe I'll buy one.
    Gots a review for ya, Salem!
    Man O' War Puro Authentico
    Nice aroma of leather and black pepper. Smooth, almost seamless wrapper. Really dig the pigtail and shaggy foot. Clipped with my Colibra Firebird cutter, thanks to my buddy Brian. Super easy, open pre-light draw that left a taste of cedar on the lips.
    Toasting the foot gave off hints of wood and spice. A few puffs to get it lit and we're off! After a minute or so to rest, the first draw hits like a ton of bricks! I definitely wasn't expecting this much body from a Corona size cigar. Thick, creamy, almost chewy smoke that hangs in the air until the breeze blows it away. I perceived notes of leather, black pepper, spices and a mild sweetness on the finish, sorta uncommon with a Habano wrapper I believe. The silvery ash held on until at least 2" into the stick before letting gravity have its way.
    The middle of the stick held just as much power as the first third, in all actuality the PA held its own throughout the entire stick. After the middle third, the flavors were still as intense as on the first draw but are now becoming smoother and more blended. Unfortunately for me, the party ended all too soon as I put the 1-1/2" nub in the ashtray.
    I thoroughly enjoyed my first experience with the MoWPA and hope to revisit it again, soon. This one had about 2-3 weeks in the humidor, but I'm curious to see how much the flavors change after a few months or even a year.
    Toombes:
    Gots a review for ya, Salem!
    Man O' War Puro Authentico
    Nice aroma of leather and black pepper. Smooth, almost seamless wrapper. Really dig the pigtail and shaggy foot. Clipped with my Colibra Firebird cutter, thanks to my buddy Brian. Super easy, open pre-light draw that left a taste of cedar on the lips.
    Toasting the foot gave off hints of wood and spice. A few puffs to get it lit and we're off! After a minute or so to rest, the first draw hits like a ton of bricks! I definitely wasn't expecting this much body from a Corona size cigar. Thick, creamy, almost chewy smoke that hangs in the air until the breeze blows it away. I perceived notes of leather, black pepper, spices and a mild sweetness on the finish, sorta uncommon with a Habano wrapper I believe. The silvery ash held on until at least 2" into the stick before letting gravity have its way.
    The middle of the stick held just as much power as the first third, in all actuality the PA held its own throughout the entire stick. After the middle third, the flavors were still as intense as on the first draw but are now becoming smoother and more blended. Unfortunately for me, the party ended all too soon as I put the 1-1/2" nub in the ashtray.
    I thoroughly enjoyed my first experience with the MoWPA and hope to revisit it again, soon. This one had about 2-3 weeks in the humidor, but I'm curious to see how much the flavors change after a few months or even a year.
    That was an excellent review!!!
    A.J. Fernandez Fresh Rolled Corona
    I know this sounds terrible, but I honestly can't remember who sent this one to me... I've gotten a few packages in the last bit and I neglected to write anything down. Sorry, whoever donated this...
    I've had this one resting for a week or so and my curiosity finally got the best of me. A pre-light sniff revealed a hint of... ammonia! GASP!! Say it ain't so, A. J.! Not to be deterred, I clipped the head with my Colibri Firebird and set it down to rest while the pot filled with freshly ground Sumatran coffee. The "dry" draw left hints of earth and cedar behind. Hey, this is getting better!
    Toasting the foot brought out more cedar and the sweet aroma of leather. All this one needed was a few puffs to bring on the aforementioned flavors, and then some. I discovered leather(most predominant), cedar, earth and a little oak. I was amazed at the amount of smoke such a small stick could produce.
    The first 1/3 was exquisite. A nice silvery ash that refused to fall until well into the second 1/3 of the smoke. By now, the flavors had started to blend into a taste experience like no other I've encountered. This Corona held it's own compared to other, bigger, vitolas of similar blending. I smoked it down to around 1" and was a bit sad when I had to put it down because my fingers were getting a bit scorched. It paired excellently with the coffee I was drinking and should go pretty well with a small batch bourbon or good single malt. This is an exceptional smoke anytime of the day. I believe an order is in my future...
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    I know this sounds terrible, but I honestly can't remember who sent this one to me... I've gotten a few packages in the last bit and I neglected to write anything down. Sorry, whoever donated this...
    I've had this one resting for a week or so and my curiosity finally got the best of me. A pre-light sniff revealed a hint of... ammonia! GASP!! Say it ain't so, A. J.! Not to be deterred, I clipped the head with my Colibri Firebird and set it down to rest while the pot filled with freshly ground Sumatran coffee. The "dry" draw left hints of earth and cedar behind. Hey, this is getting better!
    Toasting the foot brought out more cedar and the sweet aroma of leather. All this one needed was a few puffs to bring on the aforementioned flavors, and then some. I discovered leather(most predominant), cedar, earth and a little oak. I was amazed at the amount of smoke such a small stick could produce.
    The first 1/3 was exquisite. A nice silvery ash that refused to fall until well into the second 1/3 of the smoke. By now, the flavors had started to blend into a taste experience like no other I've encountered. This Corona held it's own compared to other, bigger, vitolas of similar blending. I smoked it down to around 1" and was a bit sad when I had to put it down because my fingers were getting a bit scorched. It paired excellently with the coffee I was drinking and should go pretty well with a small batch bourbon or good single malt. This is an exceptional smoke anytime of the day. I believe an order is in my future...
    nice review brother. I have yet to try AJs fresh rolled. Maybe I'll add to my must purchase list.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    danielzreyes:
    Toombes:
    nice review brother. I have yet to try AJs fresh rolled. Maybe I'll add to my must purchase list.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by them. Gonna be placing an order for a box very soon.