Home Cigar 101

Mold on cigars.

RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
What cigars are more susceptible to mold? Are cedar wrapped cigars more prone to mold?

Comments

• chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    I don't know why for sure but from my personal experience AF anejo, and tubo cigars seem to be the most prone to mold.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    RBeckom:
    What cigars are more susceptible to mold? Are cedar wrapped cigars more prone to mold?
    Sure, tubos, cedar sleeved sticks, all tend to be more prone to mold... BUT the benefits of cedar sleeves, and tubos outweigh the risk to me... And anyway, if you have a solid setup, then you have nothing to worry about. Keep that RH under 70, and you'll never have to worry. Keep it at 63-65, and you're golden!
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    RBeckom:
    Sure, tubos, cedar sleeved sticks, all tend to be more prone to mold... BUT the benefits of cedar sleeves, and tubos outweigh the risk to me... And anyway, if you have a solid setup, then you have nothing to worry about. Keep that RH under 70, and you'll never have to worry. Keep it at 63-65, and you're golden!

Thanks for the information. I recently saw mold for the first time on A cedar wrapped A F in my brothers humidor and his humidity and temperature is always spot on. I have several cedar wrapped cigars that I continually check just to be on the safe side.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About a month ago there was a thread about mold on cedar wrapped and Tubos, seemed a lot of people were finding mold scared me so when I got home I removed the cedar wraps on all mine.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    About a month ago there was a thread about mold on cedar wrapped and Tubos, seemed a lot of people were finding mold scared me so when I got home I removed the cedar wraps on all mine.

I'm thinking about doing the same.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Rhamlin:

I'm thinking about doing the same.
    I did this too. My cigars that are in tubes that can be opened I leave in the tubes and open them up and check them every now and then. All my cedar sleeve wrapped sticks have had the cedar sleeve removed. Whatever loss I may suffer from having the cedar's affect on the cigar is something I've made my peace with. For me, it's not worth it to open up an anejo and find a bunch of mold that may have made its way into the filler or other cigars.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Rhamlin:

Yep, me too. I found tiny mold spots on a cedar wrapped RYJ in a tubo. It came that way when I purchased it in the heavy hitters sampler as I hadn't opened it and had just received it. I have a couple cedar wrapped cigars now that I checked and are good. The cedar slid well without damaging the wrapper so I put them back on.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    The only mold I've seen was at a local B&M recently.
    They had 5-6 full boxes of Camachos that were just covered in what looked like a white, moldy residue. (Sorry, I don't remember specific blends/vitolas.)
    But they also had other boxes of Camachos that were completely fine, and everything else in their humidor looked to be ok as well. It was only those few boxes of Camachos that looked to have a problem.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:
    RBeckom:
    They had 5-6 full boxes of Camachos that were just covered in what looked like a white, moldy residue. (Sorry, I don't remember specific blends/vitolas.)
    But they also had other boxes of Camachos that were completely fine, and everything else in their humidor looked to be ok as well. It was only those few boxes of Camachos that looked to have a problem.
    Sure it was mold? Mold is spotty, fuzzy and three dimensional. Plume is dusty, covers the cigar entirely and is more two dimensional (like dust).
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    and is very hard to wipe away. mold is fluffy, plume looks more like small white crystals or powder.
    bigharpoon:
    jgibv:
    RBeckom:
    Sure it was mold? Mold is spotty, fuzzy and three dimensional. Plume is dusty, covers the cigar entirely and is more two dimensional (like dust).
    No, I guess I'm not sure. I wasn't aware of the differences between mold/plume (I didn't even know what plume was, sorry) and I didn't get a real close look at it while I was at the B&M.
    I did just read a couple other threads about plume though and between that info, and from what you've described, I'm leaning towards plume since it covered the cigar entirely.

Next time I'm at that shop I'll look again and try to snap a pic.

jgibv:
    bigharpoon:
    jgibv:
    RBeckom:
    No, I guess I'm not sure. I wasn't aware of the differences between mold/plume (I didn't even know what plume was, sorry) and I didn't get a real close look at it while I was at the B&M.
    I did just read a couple other threads about plume though and between that info, and from what you've described, I'm leaning towards plume since it covered the cigar entirely.

Better still, BUY THEM!!! Camachos with plume...heaven!!! Do you remember what they were?
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    bigharpoon:
    jgibv:
    bigharpoon:
    jgibv:
    RBeckom:

Better still, BUY THEM!!! Camachos with plume...heaven!!! Do you remember what they were?
    All your Plumed Camachos are belong to us!!!
    bigharpoon:
    No I don't...I only got a brief glance at them from across the humi. And the only reason I saw them at all was because of their white-ish color, it just stood out from all of the other, brown cigars. Next time I'm over there I'll look and post a pic so you all can let me know for sure if it's plume or mold.

Plume is pretty rare, they'd have to have been aged very well. I'd go back and have another look and talk with the owner if it is plume you should grab a handful.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Rhamlin:
    Plume is pretty rare
    Can't stress this enough. The appearance of actual, honest to goodness plume is VERY rare. Like, pretty likely to never happen, most of the time. It is not, however, as uncommon, sadly, to have moldy, or downright dusty cigars, that are mistaken for plumed. But yeah, if you actually, truly do have plume in your lifetime, congratulations. It took some miraculous, planetary alignment level ish for that to happen. If you think you have plume, and aren't 100%, it's 99% likely that you have mold, and or dust.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I stopped by a local lounge tonight to try and find a nice cigar for my wife to buy me for my bday. Its easier if I pick it out and she pick it up. It a common ground thing...I don't pick out her shoes, she doesn't pick out my cigars! Any way, there had to be 15 boxes with mold in them! I brougt it to the cashiers attention and she said its normal. As long as its not in the foot, they are ok. WTF!! Thats not the point here woman! Your cigars have mold on them!!! There was even a box that had the mold in the grain of the wood! The *** was light green and I swear it could have cured AIDS! My wife, who doesn't smoke cigars, took one look and agreed that its mold. She even said that it looks like the stuff that grows on old bread! I couldn't believe it. I guess she thought I was some chump who doesn't know the difference. However...I did buy a T52. I inspected it thoroughly and ensured no other boxes around it had the plague. It is in a seaedl ziplock bag and I will smoke it tomorrow. That bag isn't even going near the winedor!
    Holy crap dude, I hope that's not the only B&M in your area. I don't think I would trust anything bought there. The owner better get his head on straight before he starts losing his customers.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    My wife has been with me almost every time I've went. She made a comment last night that we are always in the place by ourself. No one is ever there. Hopefully they tighten up their program and lower their monthly membership fee.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I bought some two weeks ago that were moldy...and got an exchange, a coupel guys helped me in the what you got today forum. That being said, went back today....guess what was wiped off tha box of cigars and they haven't sold?? I also found this on CA's website whihc in my opinion is BS. I have two cigars with plume...and they are obviously plume, sparkle, does not wipe off, old cigars I found stashed in a humi at a crappy B&M closeout bin. The ones I got that were moldy...were obvious once it was pointed out by the BOTL's here and i did a little searching online. The more i have looked into this, the more I see people thinking mold is plume...and it is no where near what it should be since I've compared the two. Here is the CA article...it says you can wipe off plume and that mold is blue and won't be wiped off...i found my experience to be quite the opposite. http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/Is-it-the-Plume_5492
    Yeah sounds like a typo, been lucky enough never to have mold except on the foam pucks. All mold Ive seen pictures of has been whiteish, I did have some black mold on my first humidifier that put a scare in me but luckily it didn't spread any further.