Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Books...

2»

Comments

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Reading "Pathfinder" by Orson Scott Card. One of his newer ones. Great so far.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Just decided recently to tackle the Illiad and the Odyssey. I don't know WTF was going through my head. But now I have to do it...liking the Illiad so far...but damn these are long...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Just finished "The Big Short"; how Wall St. almost brought down the entire global economy, threw millions out of work and caused millions more to loose their homes, and got away with it clean (with million dolar bonuses for themselves for doing such a good job), courtesy of the US taxpayers.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Reading Crewel Lye bye Piers Anthony
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    lilwing88:
    Just finished The Given Day by Dennis Lehayne...... Just started Fragment by Fahy. So far, pretty interesting.
    Love his books.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    james40:
    A friend from work recommended some books a long time ago. That person has moved on and I'm trying to remember the name of the series. I'm hoping someone here can help with a vague hint.

It revolved around being on ships (think clippers, schooners, trade ships, all wood, etc.) and it might have been between 1400-1800's. I remember it being really descriptive of what life on the ships were actually like. And I believe it was a fairly long series.

Horatio Hornblower?
    That would have been my guess too.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    In the past 6 months I've finished Dracula, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, The Time Machine, The Island of Doctor Moreau, The Invisible Man, The War of the Worlds, The First Men in the Moon, and Frankenstein. I just bought The Divine Comedy, Paradise Lost, and Moby D!ck.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Russ55:
    In the past 6 months I've finished Dracula, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, The Time Machine, The Island of Doctor Moreau, The Invisible Man, The War of the Worlds, The First Men in the Moon, and Frankenstein. I just bought The Divine Comedy, Paradise Lost, and Moby D!ck.
    The Divine Comedy is a great read.
    Inferno is my favorite of the series, but the others aren't far behind.

• Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ljl:
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Sometimes you can see what makes a classic.
    man
    i havent read that in a decade.

i should.
    Poor John the savage. Just couldn't catch a break.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I'm reading "A Clash Of Kings" by George R.R. Martin. Started it immediately after finnishing "A Game Of Thrones". I'm loving these books! Tyrion Lannister's quickly becoming one of my favorite characters in contemporary literature.
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    I'm reading "A Clash Of Kings" by George R.R. Martin. Started it immediately after finnishing "A Game Of Thrones". I'm loving these books! Tyrion Lannister's quickly becoming one of my favorite characters in contemporary literature.
    Is he the guy that bones his sister on a regular basis?
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Russ55:
    The Divine Comedy is a great read.
    Inferno is my favorite of the series, but the others aren't far behind.

Yeah, probably going to start with Dante, been wanting to read that for a while.
  • Options
    Digging into "The Screwtape Letters" by C. S. Lewis. I've read it 4 times already but it's been a while.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    y2pascoe:
    That would be Jaime Lannister. Tyrion is the midget brother...and a great character.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    y2pascoe:
    That would be Jaime Lannister. Tyrion is the midget brother...and a great character.
    Oh that's right. He is a neat character. Interesting family...
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    kuzi16:
    ljl:
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Sometimes you can see what makes a classic.
    man
    i havent read that in a decade.

i should.
    Poor John the savage. Just couldn't catch a break.
    Why read the book, when we're living the reality show?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just finished "Punching Out: One Year in a Closing Auto Plant" by Paul Clemens. It was a very interesting read since I deal with a lot of automotive suppliers with my work.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Just finished reading Anthem by Ayn Rand. Now, back to the H.P. Lovecraft anthology...
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to revive this thread.

One of my favorite things to do is to kick back in my recliner and read a book......now that i have a humidor and starting to pick up the hobby, that will include smoking a cigar.

I'l give a quick plot summary and review of the books that I read. I read all kinds of genres of books so these will be all over the place:

Just got done reading The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

Scifi

The plans for a device that allows you to "step" between alternate earths were posted on the internet and all that was needed was a few basics from radio shack and a potato....so virtually everyone can do it.

After the stepping started it is found that human life hasn't evolved anywhere else and there are millions of earths open for settlement or abuse.

The book follows a singular character that finds out that he doesn't need the device to step and doesn't have any ill effects after stepping like many do.

Review:

Love this book and would HIGHLY suggest this to anyone. It has a scifi feel to it, but also a wild west type feel because of the exploration of the unknown.

it seems that it is setting up to be a trilogy or at least there will be sequel. So if you don't like books that span over a series stay away. there are plenty of unanswered questions at the end.

I would love to hear if there is anyone else who is an avid reader and what you have liked/disliked in the past.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I read a lot of sci fi and/or nerd fantasy, non fiction reminds me too much of school, though oddly I love history. Anywho. All time favorite book is The Stand by SK, got me in to reading as a teenager. Some other ones I like off the top of my head are The Lon Tobyn Chronicles, The Dark Tower series, The Avatar Trilogy and Godspeed. I'm currently reading The Summoner, which I think is part of the Necromancer series, not sure though without looking at it. End nerd mode ;)
  • Options
    I started "This Book is Full of Spiders" by David Wong about two weeks ago. The work schedule hasn't allowed me much time to do much besides sleep lately.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I love to read. SciFi is one of my favorite genres, especially Golden Age stuff. Newer stuff I like in the field includes William Gibson, David Brin's Uplift books, and Nancy Kress' Sleepless series.

The most recent book I finished was R. A. Dickey's memoir, Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball.

I really enjoyed the book. Dickey was an English Lit major at UT, and it shows. He's been through some traumatizing stuff, but persevered. He's not a saint, but he's honest about that, too. And the guy's a big Star Wars fan. Can't go wrong with that.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    I love to read. SciFi is one of my favorite genres, especially Golden Age stuff. Newer stuff I like in the field includes William Gibson, David Brin's Uplift books, and Nancy Kress' Sleepless series.

The most recent book I finished was R. A. Dickey's memoir, Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball.

I really enjoyed the book. Dickey was an English Lit major at UT, and it shows. He's been through some traumatizing stuff, but persevered. He's not a saint, but he's honest about that, too. And the guy's a big Star Wars fan. Can't go wrong with that.
    He better like Trek too..
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    ] He better like Trek too..

Don't know about him, but I do!

My whole family has been watching TNG together, straight through on Amazon Prime. We're in the final season right now. I forgot how many truly great episodes there were. Kind of cheesy, but one of my favorites was Darmok. It's a great example of true SF for TV, not space opera. My wife is amazed at how many details I remember when she asks if an episode is appropriate for the kids. Pretty much anything with Lwaxana is assumed to be too risque for the 8 YO.

But when I was young, I don't remember hating the Riker character this much. We're trying to figure out why he has no sense of personal space. He's always up in everybody's business.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Year Zero by Rob Reid

A patent lawyer is visited by 2 aliens and told that the earth is the richest planet in the galaxy because our music is considered the best in the galaxy and the rest of the galaxy has been illegally copying our music.

So the earth is in danger of being destroyed because of the debt that the galaxy owes the Earth.

it is a very funny satiric novel that blends social commentary on our out of control patent system.

If you liked Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy you will like this book.

It was a fun quick read.