Home Cigar 101
Options

Temperature damage to cigar?

Greetings everyone, I'm Amadameus - new to cigars, as can clearly be seen.

I usually allow the well-stocked tobacconist down my street keep everything in their walk-in humidor (it also smells delicious, and any excuse to go step in there is good enough for me) and pull a cigar or two as I need.

Most of the cigars in their humidor are also cellophane-wrapped, which helps to keep them from drying as they wait in my *** pocket during the trip to my location of choice. However, on some rare occasions my plans change, and I simply set the (still wrapped in cellophane) cigar on the dash of my car to wait until I have time to smoke it.

My question is, it gets quite cold up here in Wisconsin. So does my car, so do those cigars. Since they're wrapped in plastic I can't see them being damaged as far as humidity, but can cold temperatures damage a cigar? I've noticed they cut much worse.

Best regards to all and happy smoking!

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    You may want to invest in a watertight container like one called Pelican.. I recieved one here from a member Ron rdnstn a while ago, and I use it everyday.. Either that or a travel humidor.. This is a better way to protect your investments. And sometime I will pre-cut my cigars in the house in the winter to avoid a " cold cut" and wrapper damage. I know what you mean since I live in the Chicago area.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    A travel humidor is a great investment. I bought a little 5 cigar travel humi for my business trip to Denver. Worked like a charm and kept all my smokes fresh.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kaspera79:
    You may want to invest in a watertight container like one called Pelican.. I recieved one here from a member Ron rdnstn a while ago, and I use it everyday.. Either that or a travel humidor.. This is a better way to protect your investments. And sometime I will pre-cut my cigars in the house in the winter to avoid a " cold cut" and wrapper damage. I know what you mean since I live in the Chicago area.

I have a Pelican container as well (compliments of rdnstn) and I use it every day at my office---a great little cigar holder that works great with a water pillow. You def need to invest in one of these. Leaving it to chance in the cold like that is just wasting money and hampering what may be a great smoking experience, and you won't be able to tell the smokes real flavor and what you really like or dislike....JMHO ...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the cellophane only protects it from physical damage, not damage from hot/cold or humid/dry.

beyond that the guys above me gave great advice.
    cigar.com sells a travel humidor here. its a good travel humi. I have the large version
    ....works like a dream.
  • Options
    Hey kuzi, that link shows up... Product not available.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well these guys have addressed the question pretty well, the only thing I have to add is that I cannot believe that the forum censors the B R E A S T word from a post. Last time I checked, this wasn't a swear word or even a semi-dirty word.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Hey kuzi, that link shows up... Product not available.
    does not!

after i fixed it...
  • Options
    Whatever joe, I don't know if that is a new addition to the words that get the stars, or if it was just never used before. I guess we must place our cigars in our shirt pocket form now on.