Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    Perdomo Patriarch tonight. Decent smoke, burned good and draw was perfect, though it seemed a little underfilled as it felt squishy and was difficult to cut as a result. I thought at first that it might have been too humid, but the lack of any burn issues at all makes me think otherwise. Oh well, good smoke nonetheless.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've wondered about the Patriarch...I just love Perdomo cigars and want to try everything they make.

Spring is in the air here in good old Southern CA, the weather has been beautiful during the day and the nights pretty nice too falling to the mid-50's...given that, I decided to step out for one more tonight, a favorite of mine in the Padilla Signature 1932, the Churchill, to keep me occupied while I finished up some reading. Man, what an excellent cigar, a nice woody undertone, some moderate, while not overwhelming, pepper and an all around bang up flavor delivered in a perfect draw and razor sharp burn. I don't think there is much more I could ask for in a cigar.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Just got done with a Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte Churchill. Excellent burn and draw, tons of smoke. Flavor was pretty decent, and developed alot as I smoked it down, hitting a really nice spot about 3-4 inches in, but I prefer the double Maduro.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well I didn't get to smoke as much as I would have liked on my days off, but I did get to have a few good smokes on saturday night.

Started the night with an ISOM Cohiba that was great! My friend had his ISOM Monte and he really enjoyed that too. We were having a couple drinks and watching the UFC fights too. After that we took a little break then had a Cuesta-Rey Centro Fino Sun Grown. This is a good smoke and I never hear much about it around here but I've had a couple and have really enjoyed both. My last smoke of the night was a ITC 10th Toro. This was my first ITC and it was a really good smoke. I honestly prefer the Decade and think it is by far the better blend.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I use to like the ITC quite a bit but now I much prefer the Decade Puro , I to think its the better blend
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I had a Decade last night. Not as good as the first one I had but still nice and tasty. Got a bunch left. Maybe 7 or 8. Not sure when I got it. I ordered some from Tim back in September/October but I also got a few from a B&M months before that. I didn't seperate them because I didn't have room.
  • Options
    Just finished an El Mejor Espresso. I loved it, I am going to have to smoke a MX2 and one of these in the same day to determine which I prefer, it is that good. Started off just okay, but less than an inch in, it really picked up and continued to get smoother and better the rest of the smoke. I smoked it down until it was burning my fingers, definately one of the best sticks I have had in a while.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I broke my Gurkha streak for a day to go with old reliable .. Bauza. Once again, Great in every way. This one had 18 months on it. Age only makes these better and better.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Alien

Have a bunch, wish I knew. Could have thrown a couple in your pack. Assume you have tried the 5 Vegas A - think that is better than just about all the maduros I have tried.

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Tonight will probably be an 8-5-8 Maduro. Never had one of these. I'm pretty excited about it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    Tonight will probably be an 8-5-8 Maduro. Never had one of these. I'm pretty excited about it.
    is that a AF?
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I'm smoking an Oliva V Torp in the comfort of my new place. Our sun porch will become my new smoking abode, and tonight it's getting it's christening experience. I have an exhaust fan running in a window and a space heater pumping out some warmer air. I'm sitting on an old fold out chair with my laptop on my knees. Couldn't ask for much more tonight!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    dutyje:
    is that a AF?
    Ya
  • Options
    bbc020:
    I'm smoking an Oliva V Torp in the comfort of my new place. Our sun porch will become my new smoking abode, and tonight it's getting it's christening experience. I have an exhaust fan running in a window and a space heater pumping out some warmer air. I'm sitting on an old fold out chair with my laptop on my knees. Couldn't ask for much more tonight!
    Is that what they're calling strippers these days? Creative :)
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Tonight I'm smoking a 5 Vegas Relic that Joe sent me as part of a recent trade... I was gonna let this thing rest for a while, but I just couldn't resist... I've been wanting to try one since I first saw them being introduced...

My take? The burn and construction is perfect..

The taste... Very peppery in a very good way... Lots of leathery, earthy goodness in there... There's a domanent taste in there that I just can't put my finger on to describe.. It's a slightly sweeter taste, but I can't really place it beyond that... Whatever it is, at first I was almost put off by it.. But now I'm warming up to it and it's really starting to please me... I just wish I could figure it out....
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    I had a Cusano 18 paired maduro. I didn't really care for it. Lacks a bit in the flavor department - the main flavor I was getting was the flavor of burnt toast. I might try another one though. Maybe I just got a bad one out of the box.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    rusirius:
    Tonight I'm smoking a 5 Vegas Relic that Joe sent me as part of a recent trade... I was gonna let this thing rest for a while, but I just couldn't resist... I've been wanting to try one since I first saw them being introduced...

The taste... Very peppery in a very good way... Lots of leathery, earthy goodness in there... There's a domanent taste in there that I just can't put my finger on to describe.. It's a slightly sweeter taste, but I can't really place it beyond that... Whatever it is, at first I was almost put off by it.. But now I'm warming up to it and it's really starting to please me... I just wish I could figure it out....

I smoked one of these the other day, that was sent to me by Leonard.
    That taste you speak of was very dominant in the stick I smoked too. I couldn't figure it out either but when I finally gave up and let the wife take it over I described it to her as an almost coconut flavor,
    She liked it, and finished it off.
    Burn, look, construction all perfect... but that taste... I just don't know
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    It was a two cigar day for yours trully. I had a Benchmade fresh out of the box Joe sent me, then a Playboy Altadis that I believe Duty sent me quite some time back. Both were quite good. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on the Benchmade but I thought it was pretty good.

The Playboy was excellent the epitomy of the EcSu cigar, thanks goes to both of you guys.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Smoked a 5 Vegas Miami that I just got. It was ok. I think that it was to moist. It started to get better at the end but I was not impressed. I've got 4 more to age and see how they evolve.
  • Options
    Had me a gurkha turk, a very creamy smoke with an okay aroma and mild flavor. some coffee like hints, some chocolate, and some other goodness which my limited tasted detected. For a cigar in the gurkha line that isn't really $$$ I was both surprised and lucky as I will be getting more. I compare it to a 5 vegas Gold. Though maybe better, I would need to smoke them back to back and several to really say that but it is damn good. I do think the vegas gold had a better aroma. That made my work van smell like vanilla!!
  • Options
    laker1963:
    rusirius:

I smoked one of these the other day, that was sent to me by Leonard.
    That taste you speak of was very dominant in the stick I smoked too. I couldn't figure it out either but when I finally gave up and let the wife take it over I described it to her as an almost coconut flavor,
    She liked it, and finished it off.
    Burn, look, construction all perfect... but that taste... I just don't know
    I've been eying this cigar, thanks for this review guys. Now I just need to get my paws on a stick or two...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    rusirius:

Nutty perhaps? That was a dominant flavor I picked up on.
  • Options
    I sent you no Playboy, Maddy, but I have raved about them a few times on here... I've only ever sent you one stick. The Gurkha G5 Avenger. It was a stowaway in A Pass Deux. What size was the Playboy? I really enjoyed the toro. The robusto seemed a little more bland. They're fairly mild, but oh-so-tasty. Tastes like a long-filler version of the ccom Cuban Cabinet.

The Fuente maduro I had tonight was very good, but nothing to write home about. Especially since I smoked it at home, I guess. It's a proper classic maduro, but I think I like the original Cammy better. Construction was a bit off. The wrapper had an extraneous piece that seemed to have been patched onto the cigar about 1/3 of the way in. This released itself as the cherry drew near, and revealed a small nick in the wrapper. Didn't affect the smoke at all, and may have even helped it. I've never seen something like this before. Seemed like a cheap hack job to fix a bad leaf, but at least it worked flawlessly.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    I sent you no Playboy, Maddy, but I have raved about them a few times on here... I've only ever sent you one stick. The Gurkha G5 Avenger. It was a stowaway in A Pass Deux. What size was the Playboy? I really enjoyed the toro. The robusto seemed a little more bland. They're fairly mild, but oh-so-tasty. Tastes like a long-filler version of the ccom Cuban Cabinet.
    Heh ... I assumed it came from you but I just checked the spreadsheet it was actually from a guy on another forum. My bad. Still a very good stogie.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I just checked the spreadsheet
    Nerd
  • Options
    bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    I'm smoking my 1st Nub Conn. tonight that's been in the humi about 2 weeks. Boy this thing is good. Got a few more in there I'll have to dig out.
  • Options
    Joel_H.Joel_H. Posts: 101
    I burned a Vegas Gold and must say i really enjoyed it from start to finish, It was a really relaxing evening on the patio with a good smoke and watching deer feeding out in a corn field behind our house.
  • Options
    sdip:

Alien

Have a bunch, wish I knew. Could have thrown a couple in your pack. Assume you have tried the 5 Vegas A - think that is better than just about all the maduros I have tried.

No biggie, I have a couple here, got three in a sampler. Yeah, the 5 Vegas A is up there, but like I said, I am torn between the El Mejor and the MX2 as my favorite Maduro. They really are quite different, but both very good. I think it would really come down to what mood I am in to decide which would be my favorite. The El Mejor is alot more relaxing, super creamy and mellow, whereas the MX2 is alot more robust and flavorful.

Had a Gurkha Symphony earlier at my best friend's promotion party and found out something very interesting. Kirkland (Costco brand) Blueberry Pomegranite Vita-Water may very well be the perfect drink to complement that stick, lol. The light, crisp taste of it really popped with the creamy nutty taste of the cigar. I was really suprised at how well they paired.

Finished off the night with a Graycliff 1666, a great stick as usual.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Nothing for me in the last few days... It's pretty cool out in the evenings and raining like crazy here so I'm READY for the weekend! Supposed to be back up in the 70s with sunny skies!
  • Options
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    I just checked the spreadsheet
    Nerd
    Pot.