Home Cigar 101

aging question

I've recently smoked three of the five vegas Miami's within two weeks of receiving them. Each one seemed to have a really tight draw and a bad burn. They seemed to canoe and go out no matter what I tried. I lit them properly, and smoked on a calm evening and did not rush.
My question is, will aging cigars or letting them rest for a while loosen up the draw and help the burn issues?

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    It might, Marshall. Depends on what's causing the problems. If they're poorly constructed -- overfilled, it sounds like -- age probably won't help much. If they're just a little of sorts from having been rolled and shipped through various climates, age could be just the thing. Either way, you can't go wrong by resting them some.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I would doubt the problem is an overfilled cigar, my reason is that I've not had any 5 Vegas Miamis that had a tight draw. More likely, in my experience, the problem is due to humidity, more specifically too high a humidity that causes the fillers to expand and choke off the air passages. What RH do you maintain Marshall? If you keep your humidor at 70%, try lowering it to 65% and then see how the cigars smoke after you maintain that RH for a while. And if your humidity is not that high, then perhaps I'm wrong, in which case I honestly don't know what the problem is.
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246

j0z3r:
    I would doubt the problem is an overfilled cigar, my reason is that I've not had any 5 Vegas Miamis that had a tight draw. More likely, in my experience, the problem is due to humidity, more specifically too high a humidity that causes the fillers to expand and choke off the air passages. What RH do you maintain Marshall? If you keep your humidor at 70%, try lowering it to 65% and then see how the cigars smoke after you maintain that RH for a while. And if your humidity is not that high, then perhaps I'm wrong, in which case I honestly don't know what the problem is.

This.

God knows how many times this happens to me in the summer until i get wise and readjust my humidor location and humidifier itself.  Im hoping to be extra cautious and have a good run this summer.

• I smoked them before I got my humi set up. I kept them in the shipping bag with a water pillow, which is supposed to maintain 67%. I had some sol cubanos in there too, and they smoked fine.