Home Ratings & Reviews

AF #77 Shark - Review

Here is my noobie review of the AF #77 Shark I had last night. Marker was also smoking a #55, which we dubbed "The Barracuda"...both of us were very impressed.

Initially the cigar was a tad dry from a wrapper standpoint and you can see where there was a slight crack and an unravel in the wrapper, possibly from transport and I couldn't let this thing sit in my humi any longer!! The draw was great, almost light, but enough resistance...glad I didn't cut it any higher on the cigar. It started off with great notes of chocolate and sweetness, somewhat what I was expecting, but stronger in reality. I picked up more of the nutty notes than I did the cream(the smoke was creamy, but it wasn't like a My Father 2010LE butter-cream), but there were moments where it seemed like the cigar had something that I just couldn't put my foot on(I'm sure would develop with age). The start of this cigar is one of the best starts to a cigar I have had in a while!

Now I am just about to the break in the cigar from round to square and the same chocolate, nut, and sweetness just continues to get amplified to a higher level. These notes started to get complimented by a slight toasty flavor and the creaminess is now here that I was missing in the first 1/3rd. I am really digging this cigar at this point and Marker and I start to talk about how we should have bought DDs box earlier in the day ;)

I am down to about the last 1/3rd or just a tad more. I have lost most of the nutty flavor and it is more of a chocolate, toasty, leathery, cream, a light spice...more "natural" tasting if you would. Nothing is really blindsiding me with flavor on this cigar, but all flavors I love that were put together incredibly well...this will not be my last shark! The burn and construction is great on this cigar, even for being slightly dry, it still burned well and didn't need any touch-ups; I did a few because I am picky and didn't want to risk any potential mishaps.

Down to around the 1/4mark now and it has dropped the chocolate notes now as well and the remaining flavors seem to get amplified: creamy, leather, spice, and maybe even black licorice. The ash as you can see is very gray and holds quite well, easily could have only ashed twice with this cigar. I was surprised that I didn't seem to get hit by any sort of nicotine buzz or anything to knock me off of my feet, which I prefer not to if possible.

All in all, a great cigar that I would buy again easily if they were more readily available. It would receive solid ratings in my book and aging these would be a fun project!

Comments

• OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Nicely done!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Noobie review my butt! EXCELLENT job Shaun, you should do reviews more often!

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    The Sniper:
    Noobie review my butt! EXCELLENT job Shaun, you should do reviews more often!

Marker and I have a site up and running, but we are doing some fine tuning before we take it to the next level...details to come when it's launched :)
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I had a shark from 2007 about a month back, actually on new years and it was fantastic!!!! It is a great cigar and I'm looking to purchase a box of the 46's as I hear they are great as well.

Great review, agree with it very much!
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Great review, Shaun. I burned one this evening and besides most of the flavor profile you noted, I had pronounced nutmeg alternating with the licorice.

Steve2010:
    Great review, Shaun. I burned one this evening and besides most of the flavor profile you noted, I had pronounced nutmeg alternating with the licorice.

Ahh, great to know Steve. I am trying to get more familiar with a lot of those spices, but it takes time. I will try and see if I get those notes when I smoke another one. I know it seemed rather "nutty" but I smoked a CoRo before it and that was intense with creamy and nutty notes so some might have carried over.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Good review brother! I can't wait to smoke one of those bad boys!
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    mmmm.....i havent hade one in months. might have to break open the box from 09.
    those should be getting close to being ready to smoke
  • spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    Good job Shaun...
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Good review Shaun. My favorite is the perfection #4. You get a bit more of the wrapper flavor in the smaller ring size. Either way, Anejos rule. Buy boxes and start aging them. Mmmmmmm!
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Difference between the Shark and other Anejos?
    scarlin:
    Difference between the Shark and other Anejos?
    Just sizes(vitolas).
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Nice review man