Home Cigar 101

Weird marcks on Cigars

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to LOVE cigars, I even quit smoking (cigarettes) in order for me to enjoy cigars even more.

I've been trying to find my cigar, I have the size (5.5 X 50, 5 X 50) Robusto mainly, but im still trying different cigars. My favorite by far as we speak is the NUB; I cannot find it here in Mexico, but my uncle Paul form NY brings me some when he comes to visit. I like to call it "The Coraz

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    pics would help.
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    Green spots and white dust could be mold or green spots could be sun spots and the white dust could be plume. Mold is bad. Plume is good. Plume or bloom is a fine white powder or dust which forms on cigars when oils exude from the tobacco as a result of aging. Plume is a good sign that a cigar has been properly aged, and it can easily be brushed off. Not to be confused with mold, which is a bluish fungus that stains the wrapper. (about.com definition) Decent article with pics on the differences: http://puffingcigars.com/cigar-faq/bloom-plume-and-mold/70/
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    Green spots and white dust could be mold or green spots could be sun spots and the white dust could be plume. Mold is bad. Plume is good.

Plume or bloom is a fine white powder or dust which forms on cigars when oils exude from the tobacco as a result of aging. Plume is a good sign that a cigar has been properly aged, and it can easily be brushed off. Not to be confused with mold, which is a bluish fungus that stains the wrapper. (about.com definition)

Decent article with pics on the differences: http://puffingcigars.com/cigar-faq/bloom-plume-and-mold/70/

all the bloom/plume that i have come in contact with also seemed to sparkle a bit.

i dont know if blume makes a cigar better, but it is a sign that the cigar has a bit of age to it.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Bloom/plume doesnt actually make it better. Like you said it just shows that its aged properly.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    all the bloom/plume that i have come in contact with also seemed to sparkle a bit.

i dont know if blume makes a cigar better, but it is a sign that the cigar has a bit of age to it.
    The owner of a small shop I go into time to time told me a guy gave him a box of cigars that had plum on all the cigars because he thought they had mold. kind of funny, good for the shop owner...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:

The owner of a small shop I go into time to time told me a guy gave him a box of cigars that had plum on all the cigars because he thought they had mold. kind of funny, good for the shop owner...

Kinda crappy on the shop-owners part ( a person we will asume knows what the he-ll he's looking at and has adequate cigar knowledge) to in my opinion take advantage of the guy (and then be ballsey enough to tell about it). I would probably not support his shop because who knows what else he would pull if he would take advantage of a customer instead of trying to help and educate therefore maybe gaining a customer for life....just a pi$$ poor way to run a shop in my opinion and I would probably told him so....( maybe you can tell I hate ripoffs)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Yeah I agree with that Gene, to knowingly deceive someone, even if you are deceiving them by omission, is a pretty **** way to deal with people...especially as a business owner dealing with a customer.

I have read somewhere (and that doesn't make it true) that plume/bloom does not necessarily indicate a well aged cigar. Certain circumstances, such as a temperature shock, can cause the oils to rise to the surface of the wrapper leaf and crystallize. Again, take it with a grain of salt, because I don't know how factually correct the source is, but it is something to think about regarding the presence of plume.
    wow. i woulda walked out of that shop and never come back.
  • Thank you all very much, your information has been very helpful.

you all enjoy your smoke!

• jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I have seen green spots, particularly on light wrappers. not sure what that is, maybe water spots, im sure the cigar rollers sweat a little, lol. mold is usually fuzzy and grows on the surface like a plant, usually doesnt sit flat. if your still not sure, isolate the cigar and see if it grows.
    jihiggs:
    isolate the cigar and see if it grows.
    or just brush it off (if you can) and smoke it. it shouldnt kill ya.
    j0z3r:
    Yeah I agree with that Gene, to knowingly deceive someone, even if you are deceiving them by omission, is a pretty **** way to deal with people...especially as a business owner dealing with a customer.

I have read somewhere (and that doesn't make it true) that plume/bloom does not necessarily indicate a well aged cigar. Certain circumstances, such as a temperature shock, can cause the oils to rise to the surface of the wrapper leaf and crystallize. Again, take it with a grain of salt, because I don't know how factually correct the source is, but it is something to think about regarding the presence of plume.
    I've talked with the guy and he's very nice. I think I might have forgot the whole story, I don't think he pulled one over the customer. but if he did, I agree it would be sh*tty
    kuzi16:
    jihiggs:
    what if your smoking a cigar and a beetle comes out? that would be a shock...
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    jihiggs:
    I would freak out, then I would cry. LOL!
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    jihiggs:
    ever hear your cigar crackle or pop when you smoke?

beetle eggs.

delish.
    thats a joke BTW
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    jihiggs:

beetle eggs.

delish.
    That explains the omelette flavor I picked up once
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    kuzi16:
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    jihiggs:

beetle eggs.

delish.
    Snap, Crackle, Pop. Just like Rice Crispies
    okay so I was being funny but seems some of you have had some crispy beetles...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    rwheelwright:
    kuzi16:
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    jihiggs:

beetle eggs.

delish.
    Snap, Crackle, Pop. Just like Rice Crispies

They are actually not that bad with Sierra Mist to wash them down ;)