Home Cigar 101

Air Travel

JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
Ok, I'm finnaly taking a trip to Vegas for some well deserved debauchery next weekend and I would like to take a few sticks with me. I do have a travel humidor so I think I'm ok there. However, what about my cutter and lighter? With the continuing changes in TSA rules, does anyone have any good advice for this noob? Oh and I hate checking baggage and would rather carry on. Will that cause me problems? thanks Jeff Viva Las Vegas

Comments

• bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    The cutter should be ok, but I think the lighter would be the problem. Regular disposable type lighters are acceptable, but any sort of jet or butane lighters are not.

If you check the TSA website, there should be a breakdown of things that are/aren't ok.

Have fun!
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I think you might catch some flak for both items. Lighters are banned from carry on and checked baggage. That brings up a story, I was in a new zealand airport and I had just bought a new amazing lighter a few days earlier. I had stashed it in my checked baggage because that was alright to do in the US at the time. The lady at the desk asked me if I had any lighters and I said that I did. She said that I would need to part ways with it and I think she noticed I was pretty down about the idea so she leaned over the desk and whispered in my ear, put it in your pocket and try to get through security, you will have a better chance to keep it than if its in your checked bag. So, I did exactly that, when I got to the xray machine I put the lighter in the tub with my money clip and camera and no one said a word. Anyway, I think TSA would have a tizzy over the cutter since it could be broken and turned into a blade.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Duh. TSA Website.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    yeah it all really sucks. so if you want to smoke a cigar while flying to a place you need to buy another lighter at where every your going? that is f'ing pathetic. I could see maybe on a carry on but on a checked bag? wow, things have changed since I flew in 2003..
  • SirChillSirChill Posts: 2

Do a search for the Colibri Tranzpack Lighter case. Its US DOT approved to hold your lighter in your checked luggage whey flying the friendly skies. It runs about $15 I believe? I know it works for domestic flights so it'll cover your Vegas trip just fine other than still not allowing you to carry it on. I'm hoping it works for international flights too for an upcoming trip out of the country where I plan to enjoy a few cuban cigars :-)

SirChill:

Do a search for the Colibri Tranzpack Lighter case. Its US DOT approved to hold your lighter in your checked luggage whey flying the friendly skies. It runs about $15 I believe? I know it works for domestic flights so it'll cover your Vegas trip just fine other than still not allowing you to carry it on. I'm hoping it works for international flights too for an upcoming trip out of the country where I plan to enjoy a few cuban cigars :-)

wow, thanks. It is sad when we have to conform to this...
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    My advice would be to put your lighter in a piece of PVC pipe, glue the ends of it shut, then strap a wrist watch around it and drill a hole and run several wires into the pipe. Next you stick that in your carry on and get ready for the full cavity search! haha KIDDING KIDDING!!!! Well... Unless you're into that sort of thing. eeew
  • SirChillSirChill Posts: 2

PuroFreak:
    My advice would be to put your lighter in a piece of PVC pipe, glue the ends of it shut, then strap a wrist watch around it and drill a hole and run several wires into the pipe. Next you stick that in your carry on and get ready for the full cavity search! haha KIDDING KIDDING!!!! Well... Unless you're into that sort of thing. eeew

Big Smile [:D] ha! I think I will pass on the cavity search & stick with the lighter container lol To each their own right?

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    SirChill:

PuroFreak:

Big Smile [:D] ha! I think I will pass on the cavity search & stick with the lighter container lol To each their own right?

Exactly! Not that there is anything wrong with that... haha
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    SirChill:

wow, thanks. It is sad when we have to conform to this...
    yet again, the rights of the individual being eroded for the sake of the "people"
    no kidding. like gun control, oh let's make it such a pain in the butt for joe snuffy to buy a gun but gangster bob has assault rifles... makes no sense. I keep telling myself I need to get a m14 carbine...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    mmmmm m14 carbine

i want one too!