Home Cigar 101

Butane and a Lighter

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Anyone know which is the best butane to use for a lighter? Calibri is what I have been using but I saw that ixar has some as well as vector. Also anyone know how long a can will last before it goes bad?

Comments

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I use Vector in mine, works like a champ. Don't quite know what you mean by butane going bad, but I have only filled my lighter 6 to 7 times and the can still feels about as heavy as it did when I bought it.

Only other fuel I have used is some crap by Ronson, stuff was garbage.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I love the Vector Fuel. Works great in my Vector and my Xikar
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    cool, I guess I'll order some vector!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I use Lava butane, 5x refined and supposedly the cleanest burning butane out there.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    thanks jozer, yeah that's what vector says it is too.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have Prometheus, Colibri, Zippo and Nibo. The Zippo is what the local B&M sells and recommends with the Colibri lighters. I didn't buy it. My friend got it for me as a present along with the dual flame Colibri lighter.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    This kinda got me thinking.....(dumb question....be gentle). I had 2 lighters go bad on me, both single torches and one a colibir. One would only light for about 1/2 a second the other developed a leak at the filling valve stem. In both i've been using Ronson butane(yeah...the stuff you buy at any drug store), did that screw them up? Is there really any diffrence? Look forward to opinions.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Maybe the one that would light but then go out could have been caused by that. Dunno, it almost sounds like a clog of some sort if there isnot enough butane present to keep a steady flame.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    This kinda got me thinking.....(dumb question....be gentle). I had 2 lighters go bad on me, both single torches and one a colibir. One would only light for about 1/2 a second the other developed a leak at the filling valve stem. In both i've been using Ronson butane(yeah...the stuff you buy at any drug store), did that screw them up? Is there really any diffrence? Look forward to opinions.
    maybe. with the one that only lights for a moment, that may have been caused by the cheap fuel. there are ways to fix it.... maybe. i would upgrade to Vector (now that colibri fuel will be hard to find)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ... or "downgrade" to cedar matches. thats what i use to light at the shop i go to a lot. its kind of a cool service they have.