Home Cigar 101

Tupperdor smell

bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
Been lurking here for a month or so now, but just now posting.

I recently picked up one of the smaller sized Sterilite food containers for overflow for my 50ct desktop (thanks sprint sale!). After giving it a few washings and sitting a couple of days with newspaper it still has a bit of a smell to it. I didn't realize until afterwards that colored newspaper doesn't work and I don't have plain black and white.

I also saw an alternative that you can use plain charcoal and it should work the same. It's been sitting like that for about two days now and I can't tell a difference yet.

Has anyone else tried this method? How long should it take to rid the smell? Any other suggestions for ways to get rid of it?

Comments

• Un_SubUn_Sub Posts: 210
    Can't help you there Brother, But welcome to the chaos!!!! DUCK!!!
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Haven't used the charcoal, but I've used baking soda on a plate for my coolers. I usually let them sit for 24 hours, with the lid open a bit. If I still smell anything, I give them another day. All newspaper has done for me was make the cooler smell like newspaper, but it has worked for some, so I wouldn't completely discount it.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome dude. Haven't tried charcoal but I've had success with regular newspaper and baking soda.
    It took about a 1 - 1.5 weeks for the smell to disappear. I also changed the newspaper and baking soda out every 2 days and that seemed to help too.

Maybe the same would work for you if you tried putting in new charcoal? Just a thought.....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I had avoided baking soda because I didn't think I had any, but just looked some more and found a box.

We'll see how that turns out. Thanks for the suggestions and welcomes!
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    What are you using to wash it out? A little mild dish soap and you should be alright. Use warm water also. Crumple up enough news paper so that it fills it up, but don't stuff it too tight. I've not had any problems with this method, but maybe the colored news paper does make a difference? Good luck though and let us know how it goes!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome bbass2.

Not sure what you have but if it's a plastic smell you may want to just leave it open for a few days to let the additives leach out. Washing it will remove the surface residues, then set it outside in the sun if possible, to air it out.

Wiping it out with alcohol will work too, not whiskey but isopropanol, evaporates quickly with no scent. After the smell seems to be gone close it up for a day then take a sniff. Some plastics can stink for a while if they're made from recycled or cheap materials.

Sounds like you need a large humi brother.
    It's one of the Sterilite containers that locks on each side, so yes it's a plastic smell. I'll give that a shot if I don't notice any changes soon going the baking soda route. Thanks for the suggestions! I only smoke once or twice a week at this point so the desktop and this will be okay for now with a years'ish rotation. We'll see how well I fare with that mindset :P
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Not sure what the weather is like there but the best thing to rid smell is sit it in the hot sun for a few days...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I put several spanish cedar panels in mine and I absolutely love the smell of the tobacco and spanish cedar together when I open it ... think I'll go take a whiff now .
    Just updating this in case someone else runs into the same problem. I tried about everything I could find on the internet to get the smell out of that sterilite container with no noticable difference. Baking soda, sun, vinegar + water, charcoal, etc etc. All were tried for at least three days each.

Finally I got fed up and found the Lock and Lock brand containers at the store. A few days in the sun, cedar from the local b&m, and I'm good to go. It worked out nicely because it's actually a little bigger than the Sterilite.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.