Home Cigar 101

Gurkha Titan = road flare?

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
Not here to bash another Titan - I've smoked 10 or so, and yes, three have had issues, including the infamous "exploding Gurkha", one I dubbed "Lewis & Clark" - that stick canoed like no other, and one that was simply not that good (I'm being generous on that one, it was simply ....very bad)

But this Gurkha Titan I smoked Sunday takes the cake. Let me first say the flavor was decent, the burn decent, the draw a tad tight, but noting to worry about.
But in between puffs?? This cigar put out smoke like a freaking road flare!!
I've never seen anything remotely like it..........ever.
I'd take a puff, and hold the cigar, and it would just start smoking like nobody's business. I had to hold the dang stick as far away from me as possible. I thought the cigar was on fire! No matter what I did, it would just sit there and smoke away, looking like a cigar smoke bomb!
This continued until the final third of the stick, at which point the issue resolved itself.

Anyone else ever have a really "smokey" cigar?
What could be the cause of this phenomena?

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    All of the Liga Privada line produce a lot of resting smoke. I don't consider it a bad thing though.

the only cigar I remember having "offensive" resting smoke, though, was the Cain F. The smoke was extremely harsh, and lingered badly. That's why I don't smoke them. I thought the cigar was pretty good, but the offensive resting smoke really turned me off to them.
  • spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    The Undercrowns that I have had that were fresh seemed to burn like that. With some down time and a lower humidity, the ones I smoke now don't seem to be as bad.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    spindrift:
    The Undercrowns that I have had that were fresh seemed to burn like that. With some down time and a lower humidity, the ones I smoke now don't seem to be as bad.
    Three undercrowns all the same.. I have never seem a greater output on a resting cigar as with this brand. Great cigar, just a smoke bomb.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    kaspera79:
    spindrift:
    Three undercrowns all the same.. I have never seem a greater output on a resting cigar as with this brand. Great cigar, just a smoke bomb.
    Has an undercrown Monday and it smoked like I was trying to signal custers last stand. Crazy how much smoke the thing had.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    LOLLLLLLLL----My buddy and I said you have a better chance of surviving sucking a tailpipe for a night than you do with 2 people in a locked car smoking Undercrowns.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Most dark oily sticks tend to put out smoke like this. LP and Undercrown are perfect examples.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    I had a good laugh when I read this post. I have a Titan in the box some place and after hearing about the smoke output makes me want to fire this hog up. I'm just worried that if I do torch this stick up that the neighbors don't call the fire department. LOL.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    RampMonkey:
    I had a good laugh when I read this post. I have a Titan in the box some place and after hearing about the smoke output makes me want to fire this hog up. I'm just worried that if I do torch this stick up that the neighbors don't call the fire department. LOL.
    I think sent you a Titan once.....
    if that has a sticker on it that says "6/14" - then it's from the same batch.....ha!....good luck Aaron!
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Never paid much attention to the resting smoke on A Titan. It sounds like A interesting subject for A experiment. I plan to make it my morning smoke tomorrow. I'll post on the amount of smoke afterwards.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Never paid much attention to the resting smoke on A Titan. It sounds like A interesting subject for A experiment. I plan to make it my morning smoke tomorrow. I'll post on the amount of smoke afterwards.
    You might not notice a thing - this was the first Titan that I noticed that ever had this issue.
    But I will smoke another out of that batch to see what happens - if the second one is a smoke bomb as well.....then there's something going on.....really high "oil" content maybe??

KingoftheCove:
    RBeckom:
    You might not notice a thing - this was the first Titan that I noticed that ever had this issue.
    But I will smoke another out of that batch to see what happens - if the second one is a smoke bomb as well.....then there's something going on.....really high "oil" content maybe??

Still it's As good of A reason to smoke A cigar as any other I can think of. It doesn't take much of A reason for me to smoke anyways.... :-)
    RBeckom:

This experiment will have to wait. I forgot that I sent my last Titan out in A bomb this week.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is it that makes some cigars smoke more than others? You mentioned oil content, any thing else? And if it smokes a lot while resting, does that mean it will also create thick clouds of smoke when you puff? I love Smokey cigars!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    What is it that makes some cigars smoke more than others? You mentioned oil content, any thing else? And if it smokes a lot while resting, does that mean it will also create thick clouds of smoke when you puff? I love Smokey cigars!

The size of some of these monsters.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    RBeckom:
    RBeckom:

This experiment will have to wait. I forgot that I sent my last Titan out in A bomb this week.
    I got you covered, brother. I'll toss one in with the Morados and stuff when I ship it out on Mionday.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    Not here to bash another Titan - I've smoked 10 or so, and yes, three have had issues, including the infamous "exploding Gurkha", one I dubbed "Lewis & Clark" - that stick canoed like no other, and one that was simply not that good (I'm being generous on that one, it was simply ....very bad)

But this Gurkha Titan I smoked Sunday takes the cake. Let me first say the flavor was decent, the burn decent, the draw a tad tight, but noting to worry about.
    But in between puffs?? This cigar put out smoke like a freaking road flare!!
    I've never seen anything remotely like it..........ever.
    I'd take a puff, and hold the cigar, and it would just start smoking like nobody's business. I had to hold the dang stick as far away from me as possible. I thought the cigar was on fire! No matter what I did, it would just sit there and smoke away, looking like a cigar smoke bomb!
    This continued until the final third of the stick, at which point the issue resolved itself.

Anyone else ever have a really "smokey" cigar?
    What could be the cause of this phenomena?

Well, at least you know if you have no flares you could just like a Gurkha titan up ;) In all seriousness though, sorry to hear
    BigT06:
    RBeckom:
    RBeckom:

I got you covered, brother. I'll toss one in with the Morados and stuff when I ship it out on Mionday.

Many thanks.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    Fresh LP9s are volcanoes. pissed off volcanoes! but i loooovvvveee the creamy smoke they give off. Mine are now over 2 years old and burn much cooler and with alot less smoke... and they arent as sweet... But the coffee and leather come through soooooo much better now. just really miss that amazing molasses flavor.