Home Ratings & Reviews

Black Market

I had one today... after all the hype, it was a pretty big let down. I found it incredibly boring - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't really enjoyable. It was just sort of....meh.

Comments

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Really? you got any more you want to get rid of? lol
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Sorry to hear it was a bad experience for you bro. Its probably the one Alec Bradley stick Ive thought "Yeah, that could be a box purchase" about after I smoked it. Maybe it was because I HADNT heard any of the hype (yes, I live under a rock LOL) that made it a pleasant surprise for me.

• Un_SubUn_Sub Posts: 210
    I am smoking one as I write this, and I have to agree. It is a damn site better than the dog rockets I was smoking that came with my humidor, but not what I was expecting. It could be that my palate is young and just in shock of smoking something better than what I had previously smoked.
    I did however enjoy the wrapper bouquet, after the first inch it took on a subtle vanilla spice aroma and at about 1/3 it took on a subtle leather aroma. My palate isn't mature enough to distinguish the flavors as they are very mild. I thought I would enjoy a mild cigar more than the kick you in the teeth stogie, but I really wanted a lot from this cigar and it just didn't deliver for me.
    Just my .02 cents worth!!!
    Un_Sub:
    I am smoking one as I write this, and I have to agree. It is a damn site better than the dog rockets I was smoking that came with my humidor, but not what I was expecting. It could be that my palate is young and just in shock of smoking something better than what I had previously smoked.
    I did however enjoy the wrapper bouquet, after the first inch it took on a subtle vanilla spice aroma and at about 1/3 it took on a subtle leather aroma. My palate isn't mature enough to distinguish the flavors as they are very mild. I thought I would enjoy a mild cigar more than the kick you in the teeth stogie, but I really wanted a lot from this cigar and it just didn't deliver for me.
    The Kid:
    The Kid:
    Un_Sub:
    The Kid:

I got the 2011 best in show,it had 2 in it,so there is only 1 left.
    Un_Sub:
    The Kid:
    Un_Sub:
    The Kid:

I would suggest smoking it and giving it another go sometime in the future!!
    The Kid:
    Un_Sub:
    The Kid:
    Un_Sub:
    The Kid:

I would suggest smoking it and giving it another go sometime in the future!!

that's probably a good idea, leave it in the humi and let it and my palate grow up a little!!!!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    To each his own...I found a crazy box deal and am ordering one any day now, waiting for Ccom to get them so we can price match. This is one of my faves in my noob experiences and lived up to the hype in my opinion.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I'm starting to believe in that post by kuzi in another thread that talked about mouth ph and other factors that affect taste because the Black Markets I have had have been anything but mild. I am also starting to think that there is far more variation, stick to stick, than people want you to believe.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    I am also starting to think that there is far more variation, stick to stick, than people want you to believe.
    in every cigar or that particular blend?
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    kuzi16:
    Roberto99:
    I am also starting to think that there is far more variation, stick to stick, than people want you to believe.
    in every cigar or that particular blend?
    My comment in that moment was implying handmade cigars in general. Your question is fair enough though, I've tried several brands that have been pretty consistent and actually I would say that alec bradley has been one of those brands. I don't know enough about black markets to say one way or another. It still seems odd to me that I can have such disparate experiences stick to stick and it not be related to the make up of the individual cigar.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    to me it makes perfect sense.
    taste has so many factors that are outside of the tobacco or cigar itself. everything from how hydrated you are, to who you are hanging out with, to the humidity in the air, to what you had for lunch can have an effect on how you perceive the cigar.
    taste is so subjective that the cigar is (in my mind) the only consistent element in the mix.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    taste has so many factors that are outside of the tobacco or cigar itself. everything from how hydrated you are, to who you are hanging out with, to the humidity in the air, to what you had for lunch can have an effect on how you perceive the cigar.
    taste is so subjective that the cigar is (in my mind) the only consistent element in the mix.

This is a excellent statement that I had not put that much thought into some of those things Kuzi . Thanks for bringing that/those up , good man .
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    oldsoulrevival:
    I had one today... after all the hype, it was a pretty big let down. I found it incredibly boring - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't really enjoyable. It was just sort of....meh.
    I had a handfull of them and felt the same way. Just didn't float my boat.
  • I liked them. I have only had one but it was pretty good. Give another try in the future.
  • SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    I've smoked probably 20 or 30 of them, and enjoy them quite a bit. They have a distinctive flavor profile, that I can see would be hit or miss according to palate preferences.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear it. I had my first one few days ago and it kinda reminded me of the old rp vintage 1990s. I enjoyed it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    kuzi16:
    This is an awesome point Kuz, and totally true. I have had times personally where I have LOVED a cigar I normally think very little of, simply because I was with a good friend, having a good drink, or whatever, and the entire experience served to elevate the otherwise unimpressive cigar. Conversely, I've smoked examples of cigars that would normally be among my favorites, but because I wasn't feeling great, was in a poor mood, the weather was gross, etc., it didn't live up to the expectations. In fact, I would go so far as to say that one's expectations can even have an effect on the experience. If I go into a cigar excited about it, with a preconceived notion that I'm gonna love it, I think the odds are that I will find it more enjoyable.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Keep reading / hearing about this stick.Trying to keep and an open mind about it. Just have to get around to picking one up at the local shop. Thanks for the info gents.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had the one from COTM the other day, I enjoyed the flavor quite a bit, perhaps not complex, but very tasty. The problem was the draw, very tight, but it might have been just this one. Not sure if I'd spring the $ for it, but then I'm a cheap bastid anyway.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Sorry that you had a bad experience with this stick. One of my favorite sticks right now.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Because Catfishblues is an awesome human being I had on of these at our herf last week. I really liked it and commented numerous times throughout the smoke that both the flavor remained very consistent and it had a flavor that I liked very much but couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was. Draw was a tad tight but not so much that it detracted from it in anyway and the strength, for me atleast, fell solidly in the medium range. All that being said I'm going to the b&m today to smoke/pickup more because of that mysterious flavor I'm still trying to pick out. Almost like a cross between cotton candy and smokiness from a campfire...
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Dude...gotta let me know when you're heading out
    Jetmech_63:
    Because Catfishblues is an awesome human being I had on of these at our herf last week. I really liked it and commented numerous times throughout the smoke that both the flavor remained very consistent and it had a flavor that I liked very much but couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was. Draw was a tad tight but not so much that it detracted from it in anyway and the strength, for me atleast, fell solidly in the medium range. All that being said I'm going to the b&m today to smoke/pickup more because of that mysterious flavor I'm still trying to pick out. Almost like a cross between cotton candy and smokiness from a campfire...
    How bout roasted marshmallow???
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've yet to buy a Black Market or a Fine and Rare because so far the ENTIRE AB line has been just 'meh' to me. I'll try one some day, along with a Tempus Maduro, but I just can't get into AB. Before Prensado won cigar of the year I was treating them like yard 'gars. I still would if I had any left.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Dude...gotta let me know when you're heading out
    My bad bro! I'll drop you a text next time, didn't get a chance to go today though:(