Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I had a Perdomo ESV second with a cup of coffee this afternoon. It was chilly out, so I knew I would want the coffee. Since the ESV is a great pairing with coffee, my cigar choice was easy.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    Padilla Signature 1948. I've never been disappointed in any of Ernesto's blends, but I think this one may have just knocked the Obsidian out of first place as my favorite of theirs. If you enjoy Corojos you owe it to yourself to try this one.
    I do enjoy Corojo's, so I guess I have to try that one, lol. I liked the '32, but really prefer the Obsidian and the Habano. I will pick up a couple of the '48s next time I make an order though, gotta give it a shot now.

Just finished a Carlos Torano Virtuoso I got from Brandon in a F'n'G package. I really enjoyed this stick, on the full side of medium but not too powerful. Very enjoyable though, the Carlos Torano streak continues, I have yet to have one I didn't really dig.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Since you guys were sick - I thought I would try to get as much smoke down as possible. Burn off that silly scillia hair off my throat. Don't want any germs catching there...

Had a Padilla Miami with my coffee this morning. Little smoother than the Habano, and much more complex. Great smoke.

Had a special G this afternoon another fine smoke. Late afternoon a nub cameroon. It started out nice but kind of developed into nothing much.

I'm having a large gauge Laflor at the moment. I thought it was the double ligero, but it might just be the ligero. This is really an intersting smoke. When I get some room - I think I need a box of these... I also need a second job just to support my cigar habit....
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Two-smoke day for me...Ashton VSG in the afternoon and tonight my first Padilla habano...always love the VSG and the habano was great too. It's pretty powerful, but still smooth and creamy. More please.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I too was cranking out extra smoke to make up for you sickies. Started off with an A Fuente Gran Reserva something-or-other, 5x46 or so with a tapered head, and it was good. After that was a CI Anniversary epicure, another good one. Still later was a Gran Habano 3 Siglos, it was ok, I'm not so crazy about the GH cigars as I was 6 months ago, the Nicaraguan fever has really taken hold. Not too long ago I finished up with a Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion, did I mention Nicaraguan fever?, it was pretty darn tasty, though it kept wanting to tunnel on me, I blame this partially on the wind that's been blowing all day. Might go out for yet another cigar tonight, gotta do my part for you indisposed ones.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Going with a new one tonight, Indian Tabac Limited Edition that I got in a pass from pheebs.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Got to enjoy another tonight.Perdomo Lot 23 chruchill maduro.Very pleasant smoke.Great burn good draw.Woody and leathery.Leather seems to be my favorite flavor and aroma for smokes  right now.Wish I knew more about different tabaccos to be able to pick out ones with the flavors I desire.
  • Options
    gaberox:
    Got to enjoy another tonight.Perdomo Lot 23 chruchill maduro.Very pleasant smoke.Great burn good draw.Woody and leathery.Leather seems to be my favorite flavor and aroma for smokes  right now.Wish I knew more about different tabaccos to be able to pick out ones with the flavors I desire.
    If you like Perdomo and enjoy a leathery flavor/aroma, I'd say look into Nicaraguan tobacco. Perdomo cigars use primarily Nica fillers, and I think Nica tobacco gives a lot of the leathery quality.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Garen B:
    Going with a new one tonight, Indian Tabac Limited Edition that I got in a pass from pheebs.
    hope ya like it. I don't remember if that was the maduro or the natural but both are good.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I too was cranking out extra smoke to make up for you sickies. Started off with an A Fuente Gran Reserva something-or-other, 5x46 or so with a tapered head, and it was good. After that was a CI Anniversary epicure, another good one. Still later was a Gran Habano 3 Siglos, it was ok, I'm not so crazy about the GH cigars as I was 6 months ago, the Nicaraguan fever has really taken hold. Not too long ago I finished up with a Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion, did I mention Nicaraguan fever?, it was pretty darn tasty, though it kept wanting to tunnel on me, I blame this partially on the wind that's been blowing all day. Might go out for yet another cigar tonight, gotta do my part for you indisposed ones.
    Hey Joe, that was probably the Arturo Fuentes Cuban Corona you had. That fits the description 5.2x 45 with tapered head sort of sweet wrapper, I really like that one. I continue to be a fan of the Gran Habano 3 Siglos. Haven't had one for a few months, but have several growing older in my humidor. Five today joe, sounds like you are doing your part demonstrating how a weekend should be spent. I was working on a project in my basement most of the day. No time to enjoy a cigar.
  • Options
    That size sounds about right to me Kas, though I didn't notice a sweetened tip (edit: nevermind that, I re-read your post, you didn't say sweetened tip), then again I was reading and perhaps a bit preoccupied. I only just tried the Gran Reserva line a few weeks ago, but I'm fairly impressed with it after burning through 4 of them. A good mild cigar, perfect for kicking off the day.

You get around to trying one of those Perdomo ESV '91 seconds yet?
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    That size sounds about right to me Kas, though I didn't notice a sweetened tip (edit: nevermind that, I re-read your post, you didn't say sweetened tip), then again I was reading and perhaps a bit preoccupied. I only just tried the Gran Reserva line a few weeks ago, but I'm fairly impressed with it after burning through 4 of them. A good mild cigar, perfect for kicking off the day.

You get around to trying one of those Perdomo ESV '91 seconds yet?
    I have smoked many different A Fuentes cigars but, up until I recieved the Cuban Corona in a game here was a new one to me. The tapered head makes it somewhat unique and easier to identify. And the sweetness was just a hint that keeps you interested and not the sweetness that makes you want to toss it out. I am 99% sure that is the one. I like the size too, the perfect size for my drive home.
  • Options
    Yeah, I know what you mean, the size is good, and that slight sweetness to the wrapper is like an added bonus. As I mentioned, I've only had 4, all were different sizes that I received in a free sample, but the cuban corona and 8-5-8 were the standouts in my mind, I think I liked the 8-5-8 a bit more, but both were pretty darn good.
  • Options
    Had a Padron Maduro earlier tonight at a cookout, man that was a good stick. I am gonna have to pick up a few more of those. After the food was gone, we started up a poker game and I lit up an El Mejor Emerald. As usual, it was a great smoke. The more of the El Mejors I smoke, the more I like them.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Another CAO Brazilia 7x50 today.Very tight draw which was too bad.Still a good smoke and the last one third gave off good amounts of smoke.Great flavor throughout and still enjoyable.Burned very even at least,no touch ups with nice tight white/grey ash.These are really good though two out of the three Ive had had draw issues.Smoked it down to nothing as its going to be my last cigar till Saturday.Dont know how Im going to make till then.I just love my cigars,whish the better half could understand my want to smoke more than once a week.Oh well the sacrafices we make for our loved ones.Wish I had one more on hand to enjoy right now.No humidor for me until I get a better income.
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    Smoked a C.com Cameroon label after lunch. Was a good smoke. Can always depend on them to be good. I've yet to have a bad one. Then after dinner I had a 5 Vegas A Anomaly. It had all sorts of issues. About 1/2" into it the wrapper burst then started to come apart in the middle. I held it together through the first half but gave up.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Continued on the Padilla track today, with an Achilles Salomon.
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Had a Camacho Coyolar robusto earlier after I nearly fell off the roof "spring cleaning" the gutters...tasted like opening my mouth and holding a pepper shaker over it.
  • Options
    RP vintage 92 tonight. Great as usual, except for a semi-tight draw that was somewhat of a pain in the ***.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Well the 3 day weekend did not go as planned (plenty of cigars and grillin). Friday was the day I became ill after lunch and pretty much rained on that days party. Saturday went over to the in-laws early to help with yard mowing their home and some rental property they own. Was already done after arriving with equipment (done by neighbor)....spent time visiting with father in law who just finished 4 weeks radiation treatments for brain cancer. He was looking really spent and really feeling bad and tired. After spending good amount of time there wife and I went to a nice restaraunt for relaxing evening ( after which I planned on making up for Fridays lost smokes ), Not to be, received a call at restaraunt about 1/2 way thru meal from wifes mom, pops having trouble breathing and cannot get breath feeling smothered...we leave restaraunt at breakneck speed fearing toll of radiation has given him a heart attack. Must threaten to call ambulance before he allows us to take him to hospital, get there around 7:30 pm Saturday night. Battery of tests and 4-5 hours later we are told he has bloodclots in lungs ...one very large one in right lung and many small ones in left lung...they will put in a "filter" to keep any more going thru heart and into lungs sometime Sunday morning. I come home sunday morn about 3:00 a.m. to take care of dogs , catch 2 hours sleep and take clothes and other items back to hospital. Sunday surgery filter successfully put in about 10:30 and he's in a private room by 11:30. Cancer full scans scheduled for Monday now pushed forward to Tuesday but he will stay in hospital till then. They cannot use blood thinners to treat the bloodclots in lungs because of the bleeding on the brain he had previous to the brain tumor removal about 30 plus days ago.Just got home a little while ago ...too wiped and certainly not in the mood for a stogie now as I am dragging serious a$$....need to hit the sheets as I have a 8:00 am meeting to conduct ohh about 10 hours ...Good news and most important thing is pops is stable and eating tonight ...damn he's a warrior ...
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    I am so sorry Gene... You, your wife, and your family are in our thoughts..
  • Options
    I am thinking about you and your family gene, Pops does sound like a tough old guy.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    I am thinking about you and your family gene, Pops does sound like a tough old guy.
    The luko household is also sending well wishes pops' way.
  • Options
    Wow. That's a lot of drama for one weekend, gm. Glad to hear pops is doing better now. Just make sure you don't run yourself down. 8 o'clock meetings can go *** themselves, ya know?

I, meanwhile, have had a glorious day. The weather was just gorgeous -- low 70s, bright sunshine. I did some riding this afternoon; got some errands run in the process. In the early evening I sat out and had a Yuengling and a 5 Vegas Gold robusto. Now I'm enjoying a Nub Connie, for comparison.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    G-Man, sorry about the rough weekend.

Nothing for me today.. just got back from a (very) long day on the rock. Great climbing, and I pulled some really hard stuff. I was mentally as strong as I've ever been, and my gear skills seem to have improved over the extended layoff.

Urby, I'll be curious to see how the mild Connie face-off goes with the Nub.
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    Started the morning with an Oliva Connecticut - this is the new Oliva that just came out last week. Great flavor - similar to the G. Mid-afternoon I lit up a CAO Gold and then around 10:00 tonight, I lit up my last cigar of the weekend - CAO Brazilia. I probably won't have anything else until Wednesday night.
  • Options
    I'd hate to have to make a living on the difference, doody, but I think I still prefer the 5 Vegas. The Nub did show me more than I remembered, but the Gold still has the edge on it.

Now I'm sparking up this CAO Italia that maddy sent me aeons ago.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Gene, sorry to hear about all that, I'm very glad he's doing better.

Today my poker game was a bust. had to cancel that but my bud came over and we just chilled. I had my last gurkha beauty which had about 5 months on it and damn was it good. Then had a Aston VSG wizard. Wow, that was fantastic. 2 more cigars which need a box purchase.
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Hope all goes well for you Gene.

I just smoked a CAO CX2 (toro). About an inch into it wind gusts and rain started. I tried to stick with it but only got about 2/3 smoked before I started freezing my ass off..
  • Options
    urbino:
    I sat out and had a Yuengling
    Lucky basturd. That is hands down my favorite lager, and of course you can't get them here.

Had an El Mejor Espresso earlier at a buddy's house after we got done shooting the pistols. Man, I really really dig those El Mejors, the Emeralds and Espressos.