Home Cigar 101

Why are some of my wrappers unraveling?

jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
They've been at 65 - 70% humidity and temp wise, no more than 75 degrees F (usually 65 - 70 degrees F).

Sorry if someone already made this post. I tried to use the "search" feature but couldn't quite find what I wanted. As such, please excuse this newb.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    How do you cut your cigars? If you take too much off the cap, there is nothing to hold it together. When I cut a cigar (excluding torpedos) I try to take off a sliver of tobacco about as thick as a dime, this keeps the cap structure intact but also allows for a full and open draw.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Yep. What Joe said. You could also try using a punch just to be sure.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Something you didnt mention and we havent asked so far is, WHERE are they unraveling at? If its at teh shoulder of the stick, I would bet dollars to donuts Kuzi is probably right about cutting too deep. Its a mistake I made for a long time myself.

However, if its at the middle or the foot, it could be bad construction on that particular stick, or it might be a humidity issue, or a possible combination of both. A quick fix while youre smoking is to GENTLY pull the part thats unwrapping back, moisten your finger with saliva, put it under the part thats unraveling and then press the unraveling part of the wrapper down over where you just moistened it.

Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesnt, but its worth a shot to not have to ditch a good cigar. Hope this helped.

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Depending where it's unwrapping I'll slide the band down to hold it in place .
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had this problem a couple times recently as well....Kuzi had a good explanation on the noob tube thread. CLICKHERE

kuzi16:
    could be a few things causing that wrapper to peel. could be construction issues. could be humidity issues. if your cigar is way over humidified then it could be an issue. if it is properly humidified and the air where you are smoking has very high humidity that will cause issues.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jliu:
    They've been at 65 - 70% humidity and temp wise, no more than 75 degrees F (usually 65 - 70 degrees F). Sorry if someone already made this post. I tried to use the "search" feature but couldn't quite find what I wanted. As such, please excuse this newb.
    If you can, check the calibration on your hygrometer to see if it is accurate. If your sticks are unravelling in the middle of the stick and it happens to different sticks of different makers then I would bet your humidity is low regardless of what your hygrometer is reading.
    If it is coming apart at the head of the stick, then it is likely that you are cutting too much off the cap and there is nothing left to hold the stick together. Look for the cap line on the stick before cutting it and ensure that you stay above that line or your stick will unravel.
    You can purchase liquid pectin (fruit glue basically) and this works awesome for repairs anywhere on a cigar. It is flavorless and does NOT affect the burn. It is cheap and can be purchased at almost any grocery store.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys.  thanks so much for the input.  it's raveling at the middle.  i should have clarified that from the get go.  in terms of proper cutting, for the longest time i've cut below the cap.  finally learned the lesson. 

i'll just try to use that saliva method.  before that, i'm going to re-calibrate my digital hygrometer. 

kinda sucked.  it just happened to my MoW Armada a few weeks ago.  still a delicious stick though.  just not very pleasing to look at. 

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sometimes you just get a fragile wrapper. I've had it happen countless times where, through no fault of my own, the wrapper cracks in the middle and begins a slow unraveling. I don't know that there is really anything you can do to prevent this as you just never know when it will happen. Keeping my cigars closer to 70* has helped a lot in my situation, being in a more arid climate, higher rh is less of a problem in my experience.