Home Ratings & Reviews

Man O' War Phalanx

BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
As I type this, the nub of my first Phalanx is burning in my ash tray...

This cigar is good. Real good.

I can tell it is young... meaning there is a "grassy" taste to it that I suspect will evolve into a more earthiness with some rest, and a bit of harshness that can be described only as "young".

That being said, it is still a good cigar, and shows potential of being a real home run with some age on it. Like the Diesel Unholy Cocktail, I would say the magic mark for these is gonna be 18 months.

The flavors that are there are a nice leather, a bit of pepper and spice, and a nice oaky note. There's also a charred meat taste that is quite enjoyable. The maduro wrapper does not add as much sweetness as I expected, but you can still tell it's def a maduro wrapper. All in all, it really feels like this blend was created for a habano or corojo wrapper, and then just tweaked to fit the maduro. From my understanding of it, that's basically what happened, but it was tweaked by a genius, and he made it work! And you can tell it's AJ. More specifically, you can tell it's a Man O' War. I'm glad for that fact, as the brand deserves to be recognized by any blend baring it's label.

I am VERY happy I got a box of these, and will prob pick up another to bury deep in the cooler for some long term aging. I definitely recommend this cigar to any MoW fan, and any AJ fan. If a MoW with a maduro wrapper is something you've been wanting (like most of us have!) you won't be disappointed with this cigar.

Construction was PERFECT. Burn/draw were PERFECT. Smoke output was great. When these things shake the "young" feel/taste, they will be absolutely awesome. This blend will def hold up to long term aging, but even fresh, it is good. A little less body than I was expecting, but that isn't to say it's a bad thing. This cigar was solid medium bodied, and even crept into med-full in the 2nd half. Get some of these. You won't be sorry.

Burn time to the nub was 1hr 45 min.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Comments

• Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Nice review, thanks for sharing!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the review! I couldn't resist a MOW with a maduro wrapper so I picked up a box of these, they're resting in the cooler. I think I'll let them sit for a while before firing one up. It's nice to hear you think they will age well since that is what I was hoping for.

Alex said these are the same blend as the MOW maduro from the War Chest, just different primings. He didn't say if the primings on these were higher or lower.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Nice review Todd!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Nice nice review . I've noticed this charred meat taste in other aj blends , this sounds like a cigar for me .
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Awesome review. I've got a Little Devil headed my way in the near future. Can't wait to try it.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    like i said after my first rott, another homerun for aj
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    AJ for President !!!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I may have to get a box of these.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    phobicsquirrel:
    I may have to get a box of these.
    +1
    How would these be measured to say the ruination?
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    phobicsquirrel:
    How would these be measured to say the ruination?
    More similar to the Original MoW than the Ruination. But the maduro wrapper is dif, of course. But the blend is def closer to the original than the Ruination. In terms of body, not even close to the Ruination. These Phalanx are med to med/full at the most. And that's SUPER fresh. They will mellow and smooth out with some rest, so I would figure them to be a solid medium body by the time they are at their pique.
    Ah, nice, thanks. I figured the ruination would be fuller, but that's cool that they are close the mow.
    btw if anyone wants to trade something for one of these hit me a line.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    phobicsquirrel:
    btw if anyone wants to trade something for one of these hit me a line.
    I got you brother. PM sent.
    BigT06 got me covered, thanks!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Did you see my PM Pheebs? Or was this message meant for me?
    Check your pm's Doug.
    BigT really spoiled me, can't thank him enough.