Home Cigar 101

Suggestions....

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
Okay, here is my plan. I want to buy a box of cigars and a small humidor. I plan to smoke one of these cigars when my kid is born, then one each year on his/her birthday. On their 18th birthday, smoke the last two with him/her and give them the humidor. So what I am looking for here is suggestions on cigars with excellent aging potential, for about $250 a box or less. Right now I am considering these:

AF Don Carlos
AF Hemmingway
Gurkha Centurian
Gurkha Beast (if I can find a deal on 'em like last month)
Liga Privada

I was also thinking about possibly going the route of a limited production cigar, something that in 18 years won't exist, to kind of make it more special. Any ideas/reccomendations are welcome.

Comments

• VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Probably the centurian. To be honest when i originally read the premise of your idea OpusX came to mind, but thats far beyond your price range for a box. But anyways, you might consider seeing if a local B&M will store your humidor for you, because i can already see what wiill happen with a humidor you only take 1 cigar out of per year. Eventually you're going to forget to recharge humidifcation weekly and its going to get ugly. Maybe some of the other guys have a suggestion on a longer term humidifcation system, but i suspect it would be one of those larger automated ones. I dont know what the recharge cycle is on them...probably a lot better than beads or small humidor based solutions. Naturally far more expensive though. And i wish i could figure out why the space bar and tab key arent having any effect anymore and producing a wall of text.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    I would go with one of the AF cigars, the Don Carlos would probably be the best for keeping that long. A suggestion on a diferent Cigar would be Litto Gomez Chisel Puro 2008 come in boxes of 20 now instead of 50. Different blend for every year, and will have the year distinction for each box.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    as far a a classic smoke, I would go with the AF Don Carlos. Great full bodied smoke that will age magnificently
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    My vote is Don Carlos
  • JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    The way things are going, you can sell the 2 cigars on their 18th birthday on the black market (cigars will be $12894 each due to taxes by then) and put them through college, law school and retire at the same time.  Big Smile [:D]
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking Opus X as well, and honestly, if I could get them for $20 or less a stick, I would go that route. I am still looking, I've got about 7-8 months until I need to make a purchase, lol. A smoking buddy at work reccomended CAO Vision to me, I will have to look into them. I was also looking at the Gurkha Platinum, but I'm not sure how aging the cigars in glass tubos will work.

My plan as of now is to get a list together and then buy singles of each stick on the list. After I try them all, I will figure out which one I enjoy the most and which has the best aging potential. I want this to be an excellent cigar, for obvious reasons, and I want it to be a "special occasion" cigar, so going over $250 is doable, just that that was kind of my starting point. I'm not plopping down a grand on a box or anything, but I may go a little over the $250 mark.

As far as aging them myself, I don't see it being a problem. I'll just check them every week or so, and I will have a cabinet humidor in the next 2-4 years, so I don't see that being an issue.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Is your list the only cigars you are thinking about? If not, then I'd recommend a box of Padron Anniversary 1964, pick your size, I'd go for the toro (imperial) myself, in the natural wrapper. I think that cigar has some aging potential to it.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    well I don't know where you can get the centurians in a box, though they are great cigars. most of the time they are sold in bundles. The beast is a great cigar and comes in a box of 35 and the cheapest I've seen it for is a little under 400. The Opus X is more than that or maybe for a small size about that. The don carlos I've heard is a very good cigar, though I've only had the GOF line. But that was damn good. The liga is a good cigar and about at the price range you have set. If I were you I'd go for either the Beast, Opus X or an Ashton VSG box. I love them VSG's. However all of these are a lot more than your price of 200ish, but they all should age well. The liga is the only one I've had and you can get a box for about the 200ish range. I really enjoyed that guy too, and I'm sure it would be even better with some years on it. Great idea BTW...
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    From your list, alien, I'll join the crowd and vote for the Don Carlos. But j0z3r and Feebs have good suggestions, too, with the Padron Anniversary 1964 and the Ashton VSG. You might also check out some of the annual special edition lines that various makers put out. I know Avo does one every year, cuz I was just reading about it over the weekend, but there are others, too.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the opus, but also agree that it's pricey. I could see the Padron aniversarios aging very nicely. However, you also mentioned something limited edition, that wouldn't be around in 18 years. Have you considered the 5 Vegas Limitada? For the money you'd drop on a box of those, you could pick up a couple opus x's and GOF's (the GOF's have the year they were rolled banded on them) and store those as a few bonus sticks to pass on with the humi (and of course one of each to keep for yourself).
    alienmisprint:
    Okay, here is my plan. I want to buy a box of cigars and a small humidor. I plan to smoke one of these cigars when my kid is born, then one each year on his/her birthday. On their 18th birthday, smoke the last two with him/her and give them the humidor. So what I am looking for here is suggestions on cigars with excellent aging potential, for about $250 a box or less. Right now I am considering these:

AF Don Carlos
    AF Hemmingway
    Gurkha Centurian
    Liga Privada

I was also thinking about possibly going the route of a limited production cigar, something that in 18 years won't exist, to kind of make it more special. Any ideas/reccomendations are welcome.

This is my suggestion Tony .... I would stay with the Don Carlos , why argue with perfection , you increase the chance (IMHO) he/she will enjoy it. When you smoke each cigar keep the cello and the band. On the back of the band record that days weather, what it was like when you smoked the cigar. Take a small sheet of paper and on the day he or she is born write about your experiece that day, time of birth ,your excitement, anything news worthy about the birth day and then roll it up & put it in the cello of that cigar and keep it in the humi with the rest. Each year when you smoke one of the stogies take a note paper and write down important things/events in your child's life that year, first words, first lost tooth, entering school,first boyfriend/girlfriend, sports , and your reflections and thoughts etc you get the point ....each year roll these up and put in that years empty cigar cello and date it . When they turn 18 present it to them ...should be a really nice present with a personal part of yourself attached .....just thought that would be a cool idea ...maybe a little corny but different Gene
    gmill880:
    alienmisprint:

AF Don Carlos
    AF Hemmingway
    Gurkha Centurian
    Liga Privada

This is my suggestion Tony .... I would stay with the Don Carlos , why argue with perfection , you increase the chance (IMHO) he/she will enjoy it. When you smoke each cigar keep the cello and the band. On the back of the band record that days weather, what it was like when you smoked the cigar. Take a small sheet of paper and on the day he or she is born write about your experiece that day, time of birth ,your excitement, anything news worthy about the birth day and then roll it up & put it in the cello of that cigar and keep it in the humi with the rest. Each year when you smoke one of the stogies take a note paper and write down important things/events in your child's life that year, first words, first lost tooth, entering school,first boyfriend/girlfriend, sports , and your reflections and thoughts etc you get the point ....each year roll these up and put in that years empty cigar cello and date it . When they turn 18 present it to them ...should be a really nice present with a personal part of yourself attached .....just thought that would be a cool idea ...maybe a little corny but different Gene
    Sounds like a killer idea to me Gene. When I have a child, I may have to borrow this idea.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I might add a Oliva V (Maduro if you can find them) and/or Camacho Triple Maduro. I may have to steal this idea also come October.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    If you are going to age 18 years then you need something that is full bodies that will not mellow out too much after 18 years. My first thought was OpusX but price is a big factor. Then I thought about the Don Carlos and as much as I like them I don't know how mellow they will get with that much age. I don't think the Beast will hold up that long. Padrom came to mind. I see people mentioned 1964 but I was thinking more along the lines of 1926 because of the strength. Just my opinion. Hell, buy a box of each :-)
    rwheelwright:
    Just my opinion. Hell, buy a box of each :-)

I'm with wheelie here....can't go wrong with more!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Sorry, I had to add this

Stiflers Mom: "Aged 18 Years. Just the way I like it!"
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im gunna put my vite in for the don carlos.
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    kuzi16:
    im gunna put my vite in for the don carlos.

I'm undecided on my vite...
  • robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219

My only question is can you really age a cigar for twenty years, and what would it taste like? Personally, I don't think I would have the patience to do this and would probably smoke the cigars unless you get a seperate humidore for everyday smokes.  Robert

"Happiness is a long ash".

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Yes Robert, you can age a cigar for 20 years. Will it be anything like it was fresh? Doubt it, heck it probably would be vastly different from one aged 5 years, don't even know if it would be good, but it would be different. As far as the patience goes, well you're not alone there, something like this would take a great deal of determination, but I think it would be worth it...I'll let ya know in 10 years when I smoke one of the cigars I'm not touching for that time period. The best way I can think of to solve that problem is to have some to smoke and some to save, that's the way I'm doing it, at least then the temptation is minimal.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I agree with J0z3r here. If you can find the opus at retail price, buy up a few of whatever size you'd like (or multiple sizes to see the difference ring gauge can make on flavor profiles), smoke one now, another a year from now and another in 5 or 10 years. I also find it easier to resist temptation if I have a stock of cigars I haven't tried yet just laying around calling my name. You never know what cigar is going to be your favorite until you try what's out there.

Also, keep in mind that it's stronger cigars that will typically age better, so don't go aging your 5 vegas golds or Ashton Classics. Go for the opus or an Ashton VSG or a Peppin Cuban Classic.

Robert, you also hit on a good point. I keep 3 humidors - one for every day smokes and stuff I'll share with anyone, one with overstock stuff and things I don't really want to share and one that's strictly an aging humidor. All my high end, expensive cigars go in there for as long as possible. Again, I'll usually purchase more than one and try one relatively fresh to make sure I'm going to like the cigar after aging.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    That is an awesome idea Gene. If I ever have another kid, I am going to do this, but I doubt I will since it has been 13 years since my last 2 and my wife's baby making machine was disassembled when those 2 were born. Maybe for the grandkids though but hopefully tht's not any time soon.
    Gene-that is an awesome idea, thank you for suggesting it. I will definately be doing this, my wife loves the idea as well.

When I said before I was going to buy a box, I meant I was going to buy 20 cigars, bundle/box/singles, however I can get 20 of 'em. Thank you all for the suggestions, but the B&M I went by here today had just gotten some Opus X in, and the Robustos are just over $10 each, so I think I am going to go that route. I should be able to get over there and pick them up tomorrow or Wednesday, I'll try to keep you all posted.
    No problem bro I am glad you and the misses liked the idea. The Opus X is a grand cigar as well. Excellent choice ...
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    I think the OpusX was the right move, mainly because they're going to be aging so long. Thats one thing ive always heard noted about the OpusX, it ages magnificently. When you suggested your idea, OpusX just kept blinking in my head as the right cigar for this plan. That being said, im amazed you're able to get robustos for 10 a piece, thats one hell of a deal.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311

alienmisprint:
    Gene-that is an awesome idea, thank you for suggesting it. I will definately be doing this, my wife loves the idea as well.

When I said before I was going to buy a box, I meant I was going to buy 20 cigars, bundle/box/singles, however I can get 20 of 'em. Thank you all for the suggestions, but the B&M I went by here today had just gotten some Opus X in, and the Robustos are just over $10 each, so I think I am going to go that route. I should be able to get over there and pick them up tomorrow or Wednesday, I'll try to keep you all posted.

Most places will only let you buy 3 to 5 at a time. If you can get 20 at once that is a great deal. Good luck.

Picked 'em today. I got what was left of the box of Perfecxion No. 4 (13 of them) and 7 of the Perfecxion No. 5 for a little over $200. They were completely out of the other sizes they had, but it was still a really good deal, so I jumped on it. I also found a shop in Wilmington that sells Gurkha Beasts for about $10 each too, lol, so I might end up getting those too. Thanks again for all the recommendations.
    Good score bro'
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Thats funny that I haven't noticed this thread until now. I have 3 Opus X in my humidor that I am aging for 18 years as well. I bought them last year when my son was born so I can age them for when he graduates high school. One for him, one for my friend Nick, and one for me. I like your idea of buying a box and smoking one each year but I don't have the funds for that right now so I'll have to settle for just aging the singles.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Twenty Opuses for twenty bucks? I'd say you done damn good, alien. Now let's get to the important part: have you considered putting me in your will?