Home Cigar 101

Scissor cutters, which one to get?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
I've been wanting to get some scisssor cutters for awhile and ditch the guillotine. Any recommendations? I saw the latest ccom mag has the MTX set for $35. Anyone use those or prefer a different brand? Thanks, J.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The MTX is awesome James, you'll never need another cutter, since I got mine it is the only cutter I use anymore.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    The MTX is awesome James, you'll never need another cutter, since I got mine it is the only cutter I use anymore.
    I like mine so much, I bought 2; 1 for home, 1 to travel with. Will probably get another one just to leave in the locker at the B&M.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    j0z3r:
    I saw yours at the herf and it looks awesome. It was quick, fast, and precise. That's what I want.

Thanks for the two confirmations on this one. Going to pick it up for sure now.
    Opps
    oops
    Oops
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    Question, why scissors instead of a guillotine? Just personal preference? Any pros or cons on scissors vs guillotines?
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    asianbiker8:
    Question, why scissors instead of a guillotine? Just personal preference? Any pros or cons on scissors vs guillotines?
    Personally I like the control that the scissors allow. Where a guillotine essentially "squeezes" the cigar before actually cutting it, with scissors you have control over how much tension you apply to the actual cigar. Joe and I both cut the same way which is running the scissors blades along the wrapper gently and then just peeling the wrapper off.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    XiKar MTX are the bomb.
    http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/2677 Has anyone tried this Cuban crafters revolucion three blade scissor?
    asianbiker8:
    http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/2677 Has anyone tried this Cuban crafters revolucion three blade scissor?
    I'm not sure if I have the CC model or a copycat, but it's garbage. The one time I tried to use it, all it did was snag and tear the wrapper.
    bandyt09:
    asianbiker8:
    Personally I like the control that the scissors allow. Where a guillotine essentially "squeezes" the cigar before actually cutting it, with scissors you have control over how much tension you apply to the actual cigar. Joe and I both cut the same way which is running the scissors blades along the wrapper gently and then just peeling the wrapper off.
    In addition to what Todd says, with which I agree completely, I enjoy being able to control the size of the opening I make. Using my scissors to score the cap, I'm able to make a much smaller opening than a guillotine affords but larger than what a punch offers. Also, this style of cutting leaves no loose tobacco bits to try and spit out.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I borrowed Todd's scissors for a couple weeks then bought myself one!! I had a guillotine cutter, but can't seem to find it. Not that I'd looking for it though. Once I got the scissors, I haven't looked back! The scoring of the cap and peeling it off is how I have come to do it as well. Works like a charm every time!
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    asianbiker8:

Good concept, poor execution. It doesn't cut cleanly.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I love my Xikar multi tool, it has a lot of cigar friendly features. I use to cut my cigar bleed my lighterm and poke the end of the cigar, and I use the small screw dirver to change the flint in my lighter. Also on sticks that clog up its perfect to cut the end. The only drawback of this cutter is if you smoke larger ring gauges due to only cutting 54ring gauge. I know that X series teardrop say the same but I cut a 6x60 last night with mine. I def recomend the xikar multi tool I just recomend getting it a friend in the X series too.
    Steve2010:
    asianbiker8:

Good concept, poor execution. It doesn't cut cleanly.
    Good to know, thanks!
    What are other scissors that people are using besides the Xikar mtx? I saw montecristo scissors that looked pretty cool. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004P4OE9A/ref=aw_d_iv_home-garden?is=l