Home Ratings & Reviews

AKA Respect - 4.5 x 52 "Anchors Away" ~ An Amateur's Point Of View

Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
If you’ve never heard of AKA Cigars, the AKA stands for American Kick Ass. Jay Lundy and his crew developed the RESPECT blends as a tribute to the different branches of the Armed Forces. I can definitely respect the premise behind these cigars.

I’ve chosen the 4.5 x 52 robusto named “Anchors Away”. Now, after serving 24 years as a mud-churning, fire-breathing Cavalryman on the M1 series tanks, I will begrudgingly give a nod to the Navy, and here's why:

We were in Baghdad in 2005-06 patrolling in up-armored HMMWVs and while started taking small arms and RPG-7 fire from a house.

We took up positions and returned fire and the Fire Support Officer that was with us said “Hey, there’s a flight of two FA-18s on station, want to use them?”

Well, that’s a really stupid question. Hell yeah, bring the heat!

So he called in a 2000 pound JDAM strike. Problem solved.

Going through the rubble we were able to count 8 insurgents and a lot of weaponry.

The Navy, while not really saving our bacon, definitely ended the engagement quickly. If you’ve never seen a JDAM strike, it’s pretty impressive:

JDAM Strike

On to the cigar. Removing it from the cello reveals an almost vein-free Ecuadorian-Habano wrapper. The binder is Honduran Corojo and the filler is Dominican Corojo Ligero. The smell is straight from the barnyard. Leathery and lots of black pepper.

I used a V-cutter for no other reason than it’s what I grabbed. The wrapper is thick and glistens in the sunlight.

I pride myself on being able to handle full bodied smokes, but the RESPECT took me by surprise. Right off the bat, the flavors and strength were apparent. Damp earth, oak, and a dusting of cocoa were swarming my palate and just the right amount of pepper hitting at just the right times.

If you’ve never been to Basic Training or Boot Camp, watch the beginning of Full Metal Jacket. This cigar is the equivalent of R. Lee Ermey at his Drill Instructor best.

The RESPECT’s flavors and strengths are in-your-face with no quarter asked and none given.

The draw has just the slightest hint of resistance producing thick, creamy smoke. The burn was near perfect, not requiring any touchups.

There’s nothing subtle about this cigar. The strength tops out at full and the flavor profile is a kaleidoscope of awesomeness that matches the strength every step of the way.

It’s not a strong cigar for strength’s sake. It’s well balanced and supremely complex, with no two draws being the same.

If you’re looking for a boring cigar, look somewhere else.

If I had to describe this cigar in military terms, it would be: The SEAL raid on Bin-Laden. Powerful, complex, and executed with precision.

The folks at American Kick Ass sought to provide a fitting tribute to the military: Mission Accomplished.

Comments

• Really enjoyed the story and the review! It was written very well. Thank you
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice review. I want one now
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Awesome review plus story! I really need to pick up a couple of these and try them.

Rob
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Best line in that video: "It's not shrapnel. It's debris, @sshole!"

Steve, nice review. I've never tried AKA, but it's definitely on my list. Thank you for your service to our nation, and stay safe over there in Afghanistan.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Sweet Review Steve, and great backstory.

Thanks for posting brother.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Great story, great review and great cigar. The video brought back some memories, I was an F/A-18 Plane Captain at VFA-125, NAS Lemoore. Many thanks for your service.
  • TIGERFANTIGERFAN Posts: 21
    Great review as always Steve, sounds like the perfect morning smoke to get my day off to a good start. Sounds like I better eat something first. Another cigar to add to my list.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Thanks for the support guys. Chip, you'd better get the Denny's Grand Slam first.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Nice review. I agree the Navy and AF does have some great ordinance they can drop!

I'm curious, you say this is a strong cigar but not boring, thus has flavor. Have you had the Tat t110 or the tat Barclay rex? If so would this cigar be along those lines, if you have had those cigars that is.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Nice review. I agree the Navy and AF does have some great ordinance they can drop!

I'm curious, you say this is a strong cigar but not boring, thus has flavor. Have you had the Tat t110 or the tat Barclay rex? If so would this cigar be along those lines, if you have had those cigars that is.

Have not had either, but yes, the flavor profile is really nice. As strong and complex as anything I've smoked. Rich and thick smoke with a nice lingering finish.

****Edit***It's somewhat similar to the Tat Fausto, but just a tad richer.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great read and great cigar, Jay is an amazing owner and business man and it is VERY well represented in this cigar.... way to go Steve, you nailed it brother!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    You da man Steve, stay safe over there bud and keep smokin the good stuff!
    Thanks, Shaun!
    Thanks to the DCCC and AKA Cigars, these and the Hybrids were a HUGE success at our recent herf!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amateur? That puts some pro reviews to shame. That was a great review!!! Thanks!
    Only heard of them. Have not actually seen one. Seems they are a regional cigar, but making headway. Will definitely be one to keep an eye out for.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I was really impressed with this blend I tried it in the toro vitola which I think is the "Guard". Excellent stick!!
    0patience:
    Amateur? That puts some pro reviews to shame. That was a great review!!! Thanks!
    Only heard of them. Have not actually seen one. Seems they are a regional cigar, but making headway. Will definitely be one to keep an eye out for.
    Thanks. I never sit down thinking "I'm going to do a review". With me, the cigar writes its own review if it feels like it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    That was fvcking awesome. It's 6:55am here and I had to restrain myself from grabbing a cigar; I don't smoke in the morning. Great review but more importantly, Thanks for your service. Please keep the reviews coming. If you need some smokes to review let me know. I will be happy to ship you some sticks.
    @James. Thanks for your support and kind words! I'm good on sticks, but if you're feeling generous, check the DCCC (Dead Camel Cigar Club) thread. Ryan is always looking for donations to send to the deployed military.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Have one in the Humi, and after the Tat Fausto line I know it will definitely have to be on a full stomach then. Thanks for the review.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Steve2010:
    @James. Thanks for your support and kind words! I'm good on sticks, but if you're feeling generous, check the DCCC (Dead Camel Cigar Club) thread. Ryan is always looking for donations to send to the deployed military.
    I actually sent a box to Ryan in GA. about 8 days ago for the DCCC.
    james40:
    Steve2010:
    I actually sent a box to Ryan in GA. about 8 days ago for the DCCC.
    That's why BoTL are the best guys around! Thanks for supporting the Troops!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I'm scared of this cigar after that review lol
    After letting the remaining cigars rest for a few months, I decided to revisit it this morning.

Glad I did.

The flavor profile remained basically the same, but the flavors were much richer.

The "in your face-ness" smoothed out.

The strength was still there, but was eminently more refined.

• BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Glad to hear it. Have a couple resting going on a couple of months now so I am glad I waited a bit.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great review, stay safe and will always keep the troops fully stocked