Home General Discussion

insurance

Someone has posted in the past about life insurance and the blood test. How long do you need to refrain from smoking to show no signs from your blood test?

Anyone know?

Comments

• ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    I think the cost difference between smoker and not smoker is small enough that it wouldn't pay to have the possibility losing your coverage if they found...
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    What's the frequency that determines non-smoker vs smoker? One stogie a week? One a day? One a month?
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    When my wife and I setup our life insurance policy one question was "are you a smoker" and then they asked "have you consumed or used any tobacco products in the last 4 years" answering yes to either question qualified you for smoker's rates according to my agent.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    brc81:
    When my wife and I setup our life insurance policy one question was "are you a smoker" and then they asked "have you consumed or used any tobacco products in the last 4 years" answering yes to either question qualified you for smoker's rates according to my agent.
    One smoke in FOUR YEARS means you're a smoker?!?! Unbelievable.
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    I said the same thing. His response was that their justification was that cigarette smokers that have quit are likely to start smoking again within 4 years of quitting.
  • niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    jlzimmerman:
    brc81:
    One smoke in FOUR YEARS means you're a smoker?!?! Unbelievable.
    My company just recently made us sign on a paper if you smoked or not. But the fine print said that pipes and cigars are not consider to be a smoker. I loved it, or else my premium would have gone up by $45.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    That's the way it oughtta work. Classifying pipe/cigar smokers the same as cigarette smokers and making them pay the same premiums is nothing but free money for the insurance companies.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    blood test? I had a urine test.
    about a week should be good.

my insurance has me listed as an occasional cigar smoker. this listing did not affect my premium one bit.
  • sdipsdip Posts: 406
    meant urine.