Home Cigar 101

Hawaii question

I live on Kauai up in the mountains.  Windows and doors always open and good air flow for the cigars.  Temperature range in summer is 71 to 83 degrees.  Not sure about humidity but probably 50-60%.  Winter temperature 63 to 78 degrees.  Humidity 60 to 70 %.  Today the humidity is 75%.

Just building my cigar inventory and was wondering if I should be concerned about the varibles in temperature and humidity.  So far my current supply seems not to suffer but have not had a long history sample to be sure.  I will have several thousand dollars invested in smokes and want to make sure I'm I not abusing my "sticks".  Most all box cigars with a few samplers.

Thanks in advance for you help/comments.

Alohafrog

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    if you are planning to invest thousands of dollar and planning to age your cigar then do not take the risk. I never been to Kauai so no idea about the temperature and the humidity. At least throw a two way Humipack(each pack for 25-30 cigars, last about 2-3 months) inside the cigar boxes just to make sure your cigars remain under favorable condition. I believe Humipack 69 would be sufficient.
    alohafrog:

I live on Kauai up in the mountains.  Windows and doors always open and good air flow for the cigars.  Temperature range in summer is 71 to 83 degrees.  Not sure about humidity but probably 50-60%.  Winter temperature 63 to 78 degrees.  Humidity 60 to 70 %.  Today the humidity is 75%.

Just building my cigar inventory and was wondering if I should be concerned about the varibles in temperature and humidity.  So far my current supply seems not to suffer but have not had a long history sample to be sure.  I will have several thousand dollars invested in smokes and want to make sure I'm I not abusing my "sticks".  Most all box cigars with a few samplers.

Thanks in advance for you help/comments.

Alohafrog

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    stability is good for cigars. though most of the time the weather there is ideal for cigars, the days/weeks that it is off and the changing weather from day to day will harm the aging process. just for consistency's sake, id keep them in a humidor
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I'd invest in a large winecooler or controlled temp/humidity system. If you're going to spend good money on cigars, you owe it to yourself to take good care of them!
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    I'd invest in a large winecooler or controlled temp/humidity system. If you're going to spend good money on cigars, you owe it to yourself to take good care of them!

+1
  • ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Aloha Frog. Welcome to the forums. I too live in Hawaii on the windward side of Oahu. The relative humidity ranges from about 65-90 percent with the average somewhere around 75 percent. My house is always open to the air as we do not have A/C. I have tried a couple of things from gel to Bovida packs, but both seemed to over humidify the cigars in this environment. My solution has been to buy a couple of Heartfelt cigar shaped tubes with the 65 pct beads. For a hundred count humidor I use two tubes. One for the 50 count or smaller. Just place the tubes in with the cigars where they have air flow. Do not humidify the tubes in any way. If I notice the humidity inching upward in the humidor I will pull out the tubes and run them under the wife's hairdryer. If you read about dry boxing in the forums, know that it really isn't an option for us as I have left a cheap cigar out for a month just to see how it would affect the smoke. Not much different from the cigar in the humidor. We are lucky in that our weather conditions closely mimic where the tobacco was grown and cured. (Fortunately not always as hot or humid.) For us the humidor keeps out the bugs and allows us to keep the cigars in a more stable environment for aging.