Home Ratings & Reviews

So, the Padilla Artemis...thoughts?

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bit on the daily deal, and I'm wondering if anyone has formed opinions of this yet. I'm still questioning the Padilla decision to drop some of their (IMO) better cigars, is this one a worthy replacement? Improvement?
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I enjoyed the Artemis, though it doesn't remind me of a Padilla cigar, to me it's more reminiscent of a Perdomo cigar. Good cigar though if you ask me.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds good, I have enjoyed probably every Perdomo cigar I ever smoked, while Padilla has only been about eighty percent.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    I have been wondering about this one too, although I have yet to find a perdomo I really enjoy...maybe this one isn't for me but it doesn't hurt to try.
  • I enjoyed it too. It's very much a medium body/medium strength cigar. I'm going to try different vitolas when the opportunity arises. I noticed ccom seems to be exclusively pushing the double torps for some reason.

drpepperdude:
    I enjoyed it too. It's very much a medium body/medium strength cigar. I'm going to try different vitolas when the opportunity arises. I noticed ccom seems to be exclusively pushing the double torps for some reason.

Yeah, I kind of noticed that, too. Is that what you had? Medium body/strength might be good in this size.

• Just got done smoking my first one and enjoyed it. Solid medium body and nice earthy leather taste with a slight sweetness. Enjoyed it enough that I may even consider a box purchase.
  • I've smoked two of these, both the double perfecto. To me, this is a pretty good but unmemorable cigar. Nice, solid tobacco flavor, and it looks amazing, but there was no Wow-factor for me. I'd smoke it again if I ran into one, but I won't be buying any more.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Decent enough cigar but Dominus was better IMO
    So, I had to try one right off the truck. The presentation is gorgeous, nice heft, smooth burnished appearance to the wrapper, the wide band feels nice between the fingers. Clipped both ends, pre-light draw is nice and easy. Lit it up, the first few minutes the flavor reminded me of the Achilles, or maybe the Hybrid, two so-so cigars in my opinion. A few minutes in and the flavor gets a little more interesting, but definetely lacks the earthy full spice of the Dominus. Had to chase it with the lighter a bit.

All in all, I'd say "Medium" describes it best. Sort of, medium everything. Flavor, strength, everything medium. I'm not disappointed with the purchase, and perhaps some resting time will improve the flavors, but it'll not replace the Padilla Habano, 1968, or even the 1948 in my opinion. Kind of takes one back to the question: "What were they thinking?" Of course, maybe it wasn't supposed to replace them, but if not, then what will?

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Amos Umwhat:
    So, I had to try one right off the truck. The presentation is gorgeous, nice heft, smooth burnished appearance to the wrapper, the wide band feels nice between the fingers. Clipped both ends, pre-light draw is nice and easy. Lit it up, the first few minutes the flavor reminded me of the Achilles, or maybe the Hybrid, two so-so cigars in my opinion. A few minutes in and the flavor gets a little more interesting, but definetely lacks the earthy full spice of the Dominus. Had to chase it with the lighter a bit.

All in all, I'd say "Medium" describes it best. Sort of, medium everything. Flavor, strength, everything medium. I'm not disappointed with the purchase, and perhaps some resting time will improve the flavors, but it'll not replace the Padilla Habano, 1968, or even the 1948 in my opinion. Kind of takes one back to the question: "What were they thinking?" Of course, maybe it wasn't supposed to replace them, but if not, then what will?
    I know exactly what you mean Steve. I really like Padilla sticks, but some of the decisions being made in that company regarding the elimination of some of the older lines has me baffled. The one compnay where I actually enjoyed some of their bargain sticks as much or more then some of the flagship lines.
  • laker1963:
    I know exactly what you mean Steve. I really like Padilla sticks, but some of the decisions being made in that company regarding the elimination of some of the older lines has me baffled. The one compnay where I actually enjoyed some of their bargain sticks as much or more then some of the flagship lines.

I agree. I'm really going to miss the 1968 and the Padilla habano. New brands such as the Artemis, La Terraza and Hybrid don't seem to be impressing anyone.

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I had my first one tonight. It was ok. Nothing to write home about.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    laker1963:
    Amos Umwhat:

Yeah ... what Laker said .
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Smoking the box press robust now. Most of what's been said is right on. Nice solid medium profile. Some toast, leather, and a bit of creamy sweetness here and there. Solid stick, but not something I'd pay msrp for.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    laker1963:
    I really like Padilla sticks, but some of the decisions being made in that company regarding the elimination of some of the older lines has me baffled.
    Which lines are they eliminating? May need to do some stocking up...

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    laker1963:
    I really like Padilla sticks, but some of the decisions being made in that company regarding the elimination of some of the older lines has me baffled.

Well not the Obsidian so rest easy on that one Glen, your babies will be safe and sound for a good long time to come. They are/already have discontinued the Habano, 1948 and 1968. The 68 is a bummer, that's a great smoke. I'm down to my last 7 or 8.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    bigharpoon:
    The Sniper:
    laker1963:

Well not the Obsidian so rest easy on that one Glen, your babies will be safe and sound for a good long time to come. They are/already have discontinued the Habano, 1948 and 1968. The 68 is a bummer, that's a great smoke. I'm down to my last 7 or 8.
    LOL Thats funny G! Im not sure how they justify killing off any of the three you mentioned, as they are all far superior to the Obsidian they are NOT getting rid of! But like several posts above this said, Padilla doesnt seem to be thinking clearly in its decision making lately.

Let me jump into coolidorasaurus when I get home tonight, think I can probably kick you some 68's on a trade or something. Let me see what Ive got and we can hash it out then if you're interested. Will pm you tonight. :-)

Amos Umwhat:

These are growing on me. It still lacks a certain spice and richness that the other Padilla's mentioned have, but the perfect draw, the feel in ones hand, the refinement of the flavor profile make it a worthwhile cigar for me.

• I originally thought this was a just a really good cigar. Nothing outstanding, but a very good medium smoke, to be enjoyed between those times when I can sit in deep contimplation with one of those "WOW" cigars. The other night I decided to knock it up a notch so I poured me a glass of 14 year old scotch and grabbed this beauty to smoke along with my libation of choice. The taste and character changed significantly. The smoke seemed to take on a more creamy temperament and permeated with wonderful flavors that immediatly demanded my utmost attention. Before, I always felt that pairing a drink with a cigar was just a matter of preference with one not really affecting or intruding upon the enjoyment of the other. This cigar gives me a whole new outlook on the possibilities I may have been missing. Needless to say, I now have many of these cigars in my humi and a few bottles of scotch for those wonderful times I want to leave the world behind and climb into my thoughts. I enjoy many of the cigars from Padilla, but none have provided as much enjoyment as this combination of the Padilla Artemis with a good scotch. Good smoke my friend.
    My wife bought me a bottle of Glenfiddich, the 12 yr old (cheapest, but still one of my favorites) and I pulled out an Artemis. Scotch is definetely the companion to this cigar! Thanks for the tip, Troutman.

Bit on the E-Mail deal, pretty good in my opinion, wish I could buy more, but the budget-lady wouldn't be so easy to live with.

• asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    I got this deal as well. Had to bite, its a good deal money wise,and also a very good stick in my opinion.
    Amos Umwhat:
    Amos Umwhat:

These are growing on me. It still lacks a certain spice and richness that the other Padilla's mentioned have, but the perfect draw, the feel in ones hand, the refinement of the flavor profile make it a worthwhile cigar for me.
    Had one of these again the other night. I'm finding that it's becoming richer with age, less one-dimensional