Home Cigar 101

5-packs, 10-packs.....wrapped in cello?

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
I know this may have been asked before - but I couldn't find it.
Are the 5-packs, or 10-packs, wrapped in cello, or plastic?
thanks

Comments

• y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    The 5-packs I've received are wrapped in cello, and then bound in plastic.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to assume you're not being particular about materials, but rather you're asking if they'll be OK if you leave them in the binding, figuring that cello will breathe and allow transfer of moisture while plastic will not? I don't know the answer to that either, I just figured the clarification might get you your answer...

And if I had to guess I'd say they'll be ok, just because I think they're stored like that in a lot of warehouses, they don't wrap them up right before shipping out or anything. But I could definitely be guessing wrong.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    I'm going to assume you're not being particular about materials, but rather you're asking if they'll be OK if you leave them in the binding, figuring that cello will breathe and allow transfer of moisture while plastic will not? I don't know the answer to that either, I just figured the clarification might get you your answer...

And if I had to guess I'd say they'll be ok, just because I think they're stored like that in a lot of warehouses, they don't wrap them up right before shipping out or anything. But I could definitely be guessing wrong.
    Thanks for clarifying my crappy question Ken.
    Yes, I'm wondering. I know the individual cigar is wrapped in cello, but what about the 5-pack wrapper? Is it cello? How long has it been wrapped like that? Was the cigar at a good RH before it went into that 5-Pack, and on and on......many questions......but they all boil down to this simple question:

When you get a 5-Pack - should you open it and put the individual sticks in your humi, or leave it in the 5-pack wrapper, which may not be a "breathable" barrier?
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    The plastic around 5/10 packs is not sealed airtight, therefore it is not necessary to remove it before putting in the humi. However, I think that if you plan on burning a stick ROTT ( for me that would be less than 2 weeks) that is wrapped in plastic, it might be better to unwrap it before storing to let it get acclimatized to your preferred RH faster.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    im interested to know this too, i researched it a bit and called a place i ordered from that sent me a 5 pack wrapped in the plastic and from what i found it SEEMS like its ok but im really not sure either way (i currently have 3 5-packs in my coolidor like this...)

Edit: seems like a good answer right above me, ill open the foot at least on mine.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    Ken Light:

Thanks for clarifying my crappy question Ken.
    Yes, I'm wondering. I know the individual cigar is wrapped in cello, but what about the 5-pack wrapper? Is it cello? How long has it been wrapped like that? Was the cigar at a good RH before it went into that 5-Pack, and on and on......many questions......but they all boil down to this simple question:

When you get a 5-Pack - should you open it and put the individual sticks in your humi, or leave it in the 5-pack wrapper, which may not be a "breathable" barrier?
    I put them in the humidor the way they come. Mazo and bundle alike and I have never had a problem. Again, another personal preference answer. In fact, I have a couple of bundled 5 packs that look like the outer "wrapping" is starting to brown too.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    The plastic around 5/10 packs is not sealed airtight, therefore it is not necessary to remove it before putting in the humi. However, I think that if you plan on burning a stick ROTT ( for me that would be less than 2 weeks) that is wrapped in plastic, it might be better to unwrap it before storing to let it get acclimatized to your preferred RH faster.
    Thanks allsmokedup!
    Man it sure seems like those things are airtight - some of them are tough to open - but it makes much more sense for them to be not airtight.