Home Ratings & Reviews

DPG Blue Label vs 601 Blue

Being a fan of maddies I bought about ten of each of these sticks last year (both Toro) and have been sitting on them for about a year. Both have good reputations and in my opinion are both solid smokes worthy of trying if you are a maddie fan like me. Both had zero lighting or burn problems and were very pleasurable to smoke. The flavors were different though. I found the DPG Blue to be good but not outstanding. The 601 though I thought was just a notch or two better. The flavors were medium but just almost buttery on the tongue. I noticed the difference right from the start. For me the choice was clear.

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    The DPG blue is a habano wrapper. If you were looking for a maduro profile, that may be why you were a bit disappointed...?

Personally I think the DPG blue is a fantastic smoke, and always have 10-20 on hand.

but different strokes for different folks... that's the beauty of the game.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    BigT06 is correct. Try the DPG again but not expecting a maduro profile and see what you think then. It's one of my all-time favorites. The 601 Blue is a good maduro and the best in the entire 601 line-up in my opinion but the DPG Blue is just fantastic.

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Give the blue some rest...I've only had a couple and been able to compare ROTT an aged through trades. The blue is excellent and a very different cigar from the 601 blue.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    DPG Blue Label > 601 Blue.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wouldnt compare these two cigars. they are both very different animals with very different wrappers binders and fillers. to me the only thing they have in common is that they are cigars made by the same guy and use the word "blue" in the name.

its like comparing the MoW puro authentico to the LHC core. same guy, very different cigar.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Yes no question these are two different animals. In theory you can't really compare them as the same thing bc they for sure aren't. I was just going on taste alone. Therefore one could conclude that I just prefer one taste profile in general over something a bit more zippy like the habano. I smoked another DPG Blue last night and it was good. Maybe bc I had a sh*tty day and needed a stogie with some backbone.