Home Ratings & Reviews

New AJ Fresh Rolled

Hello all, This is about as amateur as amateur gets for a "review" if you want to call it that. I just got some of the new AJ fresh rolled. I was a fan of the old version, and like many of you, I shared feedback with the CCOM folks about a thicker wrapper. AJ delivered with this new version. I got a bundle of the robustos and am very pleased. There was a sticker on the bundle with 1/08/12 on it, so these sticks have a couple months' age on them I assume. The flavor isn't as smooth as a LHC original, but smoothness isn't what I'm looking for in a fresh rolled. I'm a fan of the Perdomo fresh rolled as well - there's the same funky-ness (for lack of a better word) that fresh rolled cigars have in the flavor profile, but it's very enjoyable to my palate. I don't get the same sour/fermented smell off the wrapper as I do with a LHC original - again, something very enjoyable to my palate. Construction is spot on, no prominent veins or soft spots. Cap cut off cleanly with my Xikar cutter. Good draw, good feel in the hand, all around another fine job by AJ. This is a solid smoke for $2 and change. I could smoke one on the deck with some bourbon or while fishing, would be equally enjoyable.

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Nice review, bro. I've had one of the "old" version and have a mazo of 20 Coronas of the new ones due in tomorrow. I really liked the first one I had and can't wait to try the next run. I'm like you, there's something about the funk of a freshly rolled cigar that brightens my day, just like the smell, feel and taste of a perfectly aged Camacho or Tatuaje. Enjoy your time here in the forum and welcome!
  • Thanks for the kind words. Still cutting my teeth on these forums!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    AugustWest:
    Hello all, This is about as amateur as amateur gets for a "review" if you want to call it that. I just got some of the new AJ fresh rolled. I was a fan of the old version, and like many of you, I shared feedback with the CCOM folks about a thicker wrapper. AJ delivered with this new version. I got a bundle of the robustos and am very pleased. There was a sticker on the bundle with 1/08/12 on it, so these sticks have a couple months' age on them I assume. The flavor isn't as smooth as a LHC original, but smoothness isn't what I'm looking for in a fresh rolled. I'm a fan of the Perdomo fresh rolled as well - there's the same funky-ness (for lack of a better word) that fresh rolled cigars have in the flavor profile, but it's very enjoyable to my palate. I don't get the same sour/fermented smell off the wrapper as I do with a LHC original - again, something very enjoyable to my palate. Construction is spot on, no prominent veins or soft spots. Cap cut off cleanly with my Xikar cutter. Good draw, good feel in the hand, all around another fine job by AJ. This is a solid smoke for $2 and change. I could smoke one on the deck with some bourbon or while fishing, would be equally enjoyable.
    Dude, one of your first posts on the forum and you review a cigar? You got guts. You'll do fine here. Welcome.
    OK, I've devoured two of my shipment since I got them this morning and I have to say that I'm stoked. Smoother than the previous run, but still have that fresh cigar skunkiness to them that makes them so enjoyable. Maybe you like it, maybe you don't, I do. Both have had a nice, semi-firm draw with lots of fresh tobacco flavor and just a hint of spice and leather floating in the background. Much smoke was released from said teeny Corona sized stick, much to my liking and enjoyment.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I guess I didn't realize that they were changing up these sticks. I had two in the corona size and I loved them. I have one in the robusto size that I might just keep a while longer and have it with one fo the new ones once I can get my hands on a couple. Thanks for the review!!

Rob
    Bobbo2009:
    I guess I didn't realize that they were changing up these sticks. I had two in the corona size and I loved them. I have one in the robusto size that I might just keep a while longer and have it with one fo the new ones once I can get my hands on a couple. Thanks for the review!!

Rob

PM me your info and I'll arrange for a few to make their way North.
  • Thanks brother! I feel welcome. This is a great community.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Smoking my fist one...I like it so far.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I smoke a lot of these. Its' my yard gar. Cheap too.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I can see that. Good flavor, not very complex with tons of smoke. and 20 for like 40 bucks? Yes please!