Home Cigar 101

humidity not keeping

I have a question about humidity. I have a fairly new humidor that has been seasoned, and I've purchased a good gel humidifier, but for some reason it will not keep the proper %. I'm wondering if there is something that I may be doing wrong, or a way to test if there's something wrong with the humidor itself. Now my house is a little drier than it should be, but I didn't think that would make that much of a difference.

Thanks

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Whiskey:
    I have a question about humidity. I have a fairly new humidor that has been seasoned, and I've purchased a good gel humidifier, but for some reason it will not keep the proper %. I'm wondering if there is something that I may be doing wrong, or a way to test if there's something wrong with the humidor itself. Now my house is a little drier than it should be, but I didn't think that would make that much of a difference. Thanks
    How is the seal? What are you using for humidification? Beads, Gel, something else? What type of hygrometer are you using? Is it calibrated? Lot's of questions eh? LMAO
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    If your not using a digital hygrometer, stop everything and get one......then go from there. Analog hygrometers look cool, but that is where they stop...they are junk!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    In my experience gel humidifiers just don't give off enough moisture to keep rh at a good level. Add on opening the humi alot, dry winter conditions, small leaks in the humi, etc. etc. and you're struggling. Get some beads, either heartfelt or conserva-gel, you'll be happy I promise.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    In my experience gel humidifiers just don't give off enough moisture to keep rh at a good level. Add on opening the humi alot, dry winter conditions, small leaks in the humi, etc. etc. and you're struggling. Get some beads, either heartfelt or conserva-gel, you'll be happy I promise.
    A big +1 to this!! I used beads in only my cooler and had gel in my three small humi's. I replaced the gel in one of the humi's with beads before winter and I have not had a problem with my RH. I just switched out my gel with beads in the other two humi's a couple of weeks ago and they are holding the RH much better then the gel ever did.

Beads are not that expensive. (Lucky me I had them from my cooler since I don't need it at the moment. Not enough sticks for me to need a cooler. Everything fits in my two 20 ct. humi's. The third humi is for a some infused sticks). I bought the conservagel beads. I don't remember the price off the top of my head though.

Rob
  • WhiskeyWhiskey Posts: 6
    Thanks everyone for your quick answers. I'll try to find some beads at the local smoke shop and give that a try. I thought I might have been doing something wrong, or there was an issue with my Humi. I didn't think it was that because there seems to be a good seal when closed, so I'll try the beads.

Thanks Again.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Whiskey:
    Thanks everyone for your quick answers. I'll try to find some beads at the local smoke shop and give that a try. I thought I might have been doing something wrong, or there was an issue with my Humi. I didn't think it was that because there seems to be a good seal when closed, so I'll try the beads. Thanks Again.
    Get the digital hygrometer first. Then you know what your RH really is. Then you can rest easy.