Home General Discussion

Question for the Florida BOTLs

In August i will be moving to Orlando For an internship with Disney that will last until January, i have spent a good deal of time in Fl over the last few years but this will be the first time i will have my Coolidor down there with me (previously just bought from a B&M and smoked that day) and one of the things that sticks out in my mind is that it is HUMID! Currently i am using a jar of gel for humidification purposes but i am worried that since it can't remove humidity from the air, only add to it, that i will have troubles with over humidification. My question to you is Should i invest in beads for my small (16 qt) coolidor? I will keep it in the closet, the apartment that i will be living in is relatively new (4-5 years old) and has central heat and air that will usually be kept at about 73-74*F. Then again if i invest in beads i might as well get a bigger cooler to have room, its nearly full as is... So that adds to the cost, i just need to figure it out now so i can start getting things in order

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the good news about plastic is that it will hold humidity in and out so much better than wood. this means that a small amout of beads will be more effective than it would be in a wood humidor. id buy some beads to give it a shot. if you get 65% you will do better than 70% as beads are slow at absorbing humidity. (slow is better than none)
    i hope that helps. good luck.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Thats what i was thinking, my current setup holds pretty evenly at 68%, it just hit me last night that it might happen while im down there and that would SUCK.

And while we are at it, any good b&ms there? of course none will get as much business as Ccom! but i'd like to support the local population a bit
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im not from there so i cant tell you but i know they exist. check out Little Havana. that area is SURE to have some. maybe even a factory or two that you can tour.
    that'd have to be a weekend trip, maybe ill have a roommate or two to join in and split the costs.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I can't say too much about the Orlando area B&M's but Disney has a incredible B&M of there own in what is called Downtown Disney/West Side area. Probally the nicest B&M I have been to If I recall right its called Sosa's cigar company. With Disney's overhead it would only make sense prices were good too.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    im not from there so i cant tell you but i know they exist. check out Little Havana. that area is SURE to have some. maybe even a factory or two that you can tour.
    Kuzi offering up some good info, as always.
    This article is a few years old but might be a good starting point for planning a trip - they have suggestions for cigars/food/drinks. LINK CLICKITY CLICK

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Gaetano7890:
    I can't say too much about the Orlando area B&M's but Disney has a incredible B&M of there own in what is called Downtown Disney/West Side area. Probally the nicest B&M I have been to If I recall right its called Sosa's cigar company. With Disney's overhead it would only make sense prices were good too.
    Sosa Family Cigar Co. was my main b&m in the past (worked at Disney Quest a few doors down), not as overly expensive as Cigarz at Universal but the prices were still high. $9 for a Playboy by Don Diego in the robusto size and that was one of their cheaper smokes
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Corona cigar in Orlando is the best there. It is in downtown Orlando by the Amway center if I am not mistaken.
    jgibv:
    kuzi16:
    This article is a few years old but might be a good starting point for planning a trip - they have suggestions for cigars/food/drinks. LINK CLICKITY CLICK
    Thanks for that link, i might have to make it there for The weekend after my birthday.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    taythegibs:
    jgibv:
    kuzi16:
    Thanks for that link, i might have to make it there for The weekend after my birthday.
    I'll be at Disney end of Sept.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    Corona cigar in Orlando is the best there. It is in downtown Orlando by the Amway center if I am not mistaken.
    There are 3 Corona's in Orlando. One on Sand Lake Rd. is the best and biggest, then others downtown and in Heathrow. Best selection of any B&M you will EVER go to. Prices for beer suck, but its still a good place. Sosa and Cigarz are more tourist and "saturday night" fun.....but for good smokes anytime, Corona is the only place to be. If your ever in Winter Park they have a great b&m there also, Cigars on the Ave.
    Direwolf:
    taythegibs:
    jgibv:
    kuzi16:
    I'll be at Disney end of Sept.
    you might run into me, i will be working at an as of yet undecided attraction.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Tay, as to you humidity question. I grew up, and still live in, south Louisiana. When my father and grandfathers bought a box of cigars, they would just toss it on a table. Never used a humidor. The climate here, and similarly in Orlando, is general quite humid. We never have a problem of cigars drying out. My biggest problem is when I light a cigar and the humidity is 80% outside. The cigar actually swells while smoking. Bring your humidor and throw your sticks in it. They'll survive. At most, put a hydro tube or a few beads. Oh, and learn to love sweat.