Home Ratings & Reviews

Review: MoW Puro Authentico Maduro

Man O' War Puro Authentico
Wrapper: Maduro
Vitola: There can be only one! Aye! (5 x 42 Corona)
Smoking time: No idea. Too busy enjoying the smoke.
Beverage: Diet Dr Pepper
Snack: Almond Joy
Pants: Indubitably
Pre-light the stick looks good. Dark wrapper that is only slightly darker than the habano version.
Plenty of veins, but you can't really see them unless you put the stick up to your eyeballs because of the color of the wrapper.
Not much of a pre-light aroma except an uncharacteristic slight hay scent. I use a guillotine to BARELY clip the pigtail and it comes away like it was meant to be with a perfectly sized opening for the draw. I lightly toast the foot with a single flame torch and then light away before all the shaggy foot is gone...
The initial few puffs give off a zesty, roasty-sweet note and the draw is nice but firm with just the right amount of resistance.
I'm surprised at the amount of smoke production for such a small cigar so soon after starting the smoke. (yeah bro's, you like that alliteration?)
After smoking perhaps a half-inch of the stick there is a very nice spiciness at the tip of the tongue and the aroma is dark and smells of oak. After another half-inch I'm still impressed with the smoke production and the spiciness has moved to the back of the mouth and throat.
It's a difficult stick to NOT smoke quickly because it's a nice mix of dry, light sweetness and spiciness. The finish is long but toasty.
The mascara of the burn line is impressive. After the first full inch I peg the body as medium and the strength north of medium.
After enjoying the cigar to about the halfway point most of the spiciness has gone away and been replaced with a darker - but potent - oak and hickory flavor with the everpresent tinge of sweetness. The aroma of the cigar is very woodsy and the smell is reminiscent of the hickory sticks my stepdad uses to smoke a brisket or ribs.
The last third of the stick is fuller in body and medium-full in strength and the flavors are much more potent and rich. The sweetness is no longer a light and dry sweetness but a much broader and deeper sweetness that marries well with the oak and and hickory flavors. The finish is much longer and more satisfying in the final minutes of the stick.
Bonus: In the very last third of the stick I decided to eat a miniature Almond Joy to get some sugar in me and was astonished at the wonderful contrast between the coconut flavors and milk chocolate sweetness and the dark, woodsy spicy-sweetness of the stick. I just about tossed my cookies at the awesome things happening in my mouth. That is all.

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    A most awesome review, brother. I haven't tried the Maduro yet, but I've got quite a few of the Habano resting in the humi. I shall have to procur said tiny cigar and enjoy it, forthwith!!
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Dude, loved the review.

keep em coming.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Nice review, I'm in the middle of trying to find the best ride home/ quick smoke cigar and I bought a box of these can't wait to try them out
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    best way to sum it up: Mouthgasm?
  • acewoodsonacewoodson Posts: 191
    I have some on the way and can't wait to try em. Thanks for the review.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the awesome review!! I love the MOW PA and I can't wait to get my hands on a maduro. Reading your review made my mouth water. Great job.

Rob
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow....mine arrive, one box of each =]
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    drpepperdude, that was a very nice review. Thank you.

"...I'm surprised at the amount of smoke production for such a small cigar so soon after starting the smoke...." I've enjoyed a number of AJ's coronas (I pick up his All Star Corona selection frequently) and am always surprised by the sheer volume of smoke these produce. Top quality construction, that's for sure.

What do you think are the differences between the maduro and the "regular" MOW PA?
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice review brother. Diet Dr. pepper is my fav paring drink with cigars.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR