Home Cigar 101
Options

Torp Trouble

I usually smoke parejos but in some of the recent samplers I've purchased there have been several torpedoes. Out of about half of the sticks I have had draw problems. My humidity stays steady at 70. Is this a pretty standard issue with torps? I wind up cutting them as far as I can with out trashing the cigar. I even cut my cigar and then tried to use the punch. Any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Torpedos are my least favorite vitola (well, besides nubs and gordos) specifically because of this. I've had far more draw issuse with torps than all others combined. I'm not sure you can do anything if it's packed, pinched or rolled too tight. You can roll it in your fingers, stab down the cut with a long, skinny poker or try a V-cut, which I've had some success with.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Torpedos are my least favorite vitola (well, besides nubs and gordos) specifically because of this. I've had far more draw issuse with torps than all others combined. I'm not sure you can do anything if it's packed, pinched or rolled too tight. You can roll it in your fingers, stab down the cut with a long, skinny poker or try a V-cut, which I've had some success with.

What he said.... I almost always have a problem with torps so I use my poker on 'em. I think the problem comes because the torcedores sorta roll & twist that end of the stick in order to get it to taper down into a point. That's my guess, anyway. But the poker is my answer.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    You could always light the tapered end and smoke out of the foot. Just sayin'
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I dont think ive had many draw issues out of torps at all. Just cut a quarter inch off, draw through, if it needs more, wet the wrapper with your tongue or something and cut a tiny sliver more off... I love me some torps. Wonder if its because I tend to smoke my stogie at 67-68% humidity?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I have not really experienced any more trouble out of torps than anything else . Just make sure you have a proper cut .
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Never really had any trouble with torps, either. I just make a cut, try the draw and proceed from there. If it continues to be tight, then I whip out my trusty poker. Problem solved. Any torps you don't want, Ace, I'll gladly take them off your hands. Heck, I'll even come get them. We can hang out, have a smoke and catch up. Ain't that far for me...
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Probably not the answer you want and some people are gonna howl that Im wrong, but here's my answer...

Aging, aging, aging.

I used to have a lot of trouble with draw on torpedos as well, to the point I stopped buying them. Of course, that didnt keep people around here from bombing me with them occasionally. I put the date on every stick I get... one day I was rummaging around the humi for something to spark up and found a torpedo. Figured eh, what the he11 - its got nearly a year on it and I like the brand, lets see what difference some time makes.

The difference was night and day. Which of course started The Great Sniper Torpedo Aging Experiment. Seems like six months or more, the draw is usually fine. Much less than that, the draw frustrates the **** outta me like they used to.

My .02, Chive On!!! :-)

• Options
    415415 Posts: 951
    just out of curiosity, what brand is it that you are having trouble with? i only ask becaues ive only had one torpedo with draw problems
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    bigharpoon:
    Agreed... I try to never buy torps.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    interesting... i have not had issues with them. maybe next time i have one ill show a close-up pic of where i cut and how much i take off. that may or may not solve any issues you all may be having, but at least that info will be out there.
  • Options
    acewoodsonacewoodson Posts: 191
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Dave, please give me your addy as I'd like to send a few your way not to give you stuff I don't want but to bless you back for the good smokes you've passed my way. We need to get together again. I had a blast with you and Daniel in Lexington.
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    I'm with Kuzi on this one, although they are not my favorite vitola, mostly because they lend to larger ring gauges, I haven't had much trouble with them at all. I have had only one that I can remember give me the ever dreaded "tar-ball" but I believe that to be my fault, not the cigar's as, I stored it at too high of a humidity. The caps on most torps require a bit of a deeper cut than normal, just to get a good draw though. I have tried the V on a torp, and while it was a weird fish-lip looking experience, it worked great.
  • Options
    acewoodsonacewoodson Posts: 191
    The issue has been pretty random and may have been due to keeping them at 72% I have come down to keeping them between 68-70 so I will see if this works.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bringing down your RH will also lower your risk of mold.

bonus.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I will have to try aging the torps i have to see if it will help them. Also, on the lower Rh, i think it makes for a much better smoke... then again it could just be the placebo effect of thinking its better.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to cut torps with a slight angle to it. That seems to open it up a little.