Home General Discussion

custom cooler

bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
I've been using a cooler for a while now and I love it BIG TIME. I had all my cigars in old cigar boxes crammed in like a tetris game until I finally ran out of room. After extensive searching I finally found some affordable Spanish cedar to make my custom trays. They are now complete and acclimating to their new environment, check it out:

custom trays

Three trays of 100% Spanish cedar. All the same size only the dividers are different. Each is 3" tall overall by 16" wide by 11" deep.

Bottom tray:

custom trays

The middle bin is for humi beads, the sides can fit cigars up to 6 3/4" and the back can take churchills end to end or three sets of robustos. Plenty of airflow below the tray, it doesn't sit on the bottom of the cooler.

Middle tray:

custom trays

The side bins (with cigars laid sideways) can take cigars up to 6" and the middle bin is for long bastuds like 'A', lancero, etc. or two sets of robustos.

Top tray:

custom trays

Just like the bottom tray. Middle is more beads and a hygro. Sides are up to 6 3/4" and back is 16" end to end.

This was a super fun project for me. My cooler is small, a 33 qt. Coleman Stackable, so it filled up fast with cigar boxes. These trays should give me a lot more capacity in my humble, little cooler. It was a labor of love, it took several hours to do but now I'm psyched.

Comments

• rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    Nice work bro...those look great!
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That looks incredible - very impressive man! How did you secure everything together? Glue, brads etc? And how about the dividers - are they fixed?

Now you need to post some pics of the sucker loaded up!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Glue only, the sides are only 3/16" thick. The dividers are glued in place so I spent a LOT of time getting the dimensions to maximize the space available. The floor slats are rabbited in 1/4" up from the bottom. Some are glued, some have glue tabs on the underside.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! I'm impressed!
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Very, very, very nice man! Love the finished look :D Need some pictures with them "filled".
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    Looks great.....How much do you want for it.............
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Very nice!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant Big!!!! Way to go, I'd love to do the same for my small cooler (48qt) would you mind PM'ing me info so I can pick your brain? Thanks!!!!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Brilliant. I love it.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Wow. Awesome work. I'm jealous.
    Thanks everyone!

greg2648:
    The wood was cheap, I only used about 2 1/3 board feet, but the labor...
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very clean. Nice.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Thanks everyone!

greg2648:
    The wood was cheap, I only used about 2 1/3 board feet, but the labor...
    Thanks for the PM, back to you!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • adamsajadamsaj Posts: 2
    wow, those look great! where did you find the spanish cedar?
    adamsaj:
    wow, those look great! where did you find the spanish cedar?
    A hardwoods dealer within driving distance from my house (about an hour each way). I bought rough sawn and milled everything myself in my shop.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Those trays RAWK, brother! I did construction jobs and restoration with my Dad for around 10 yrs and I really miss having a woodworking shop. +1000!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent job!
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Nice work Bigharpoon, I'm tempted to try. If not, I'll give someone a call :)....

• kingdavid5kingdavid5 Posts: 293
    How can I order one PM will be sent
    kingdavid5:
    How can I order one PM will be sent
    Back at 'cha.

If anyone else is interested in custom trays drop me a pm and I'll do my best to help you out any way I can.
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    Some of the best looking trays and set=up that I have ever witnessed. Very cool. Kind of jealous.......
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Looks awesome harpoon! They say timing is everything... :-D

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo bigharpoon,

Those trays are friggin sweet!!!! I'm envious of your trays & woodworking skills. Sounds like you planned it out real nicely too and that you're definitely maximizing your storage space.
    Great job & those look much better than a majority of the pre-made trays available online. Just started using empty cigar boxes for my coolidor but if I ever get around to adding trays, I'll certainly get in touch with you.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely amazing! You could make a good little side income making those!