Home General Discussion

The "trunkidor" is finished

ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
My buddy Gene finished lining the antique trunk I bought a few months ago. He used three layers of Spanish Cedar veneer and was kind enough to build a cedar tray. I'm going to order some Heartfelt beads and a new digital hygrometer, season this bad-boy up and hope to see it get to the point of being over-stocked.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It may not be everyone's cup o' tea, but I like it.

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Epic!!!
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The wood in that tray is beautiful. Where does the tray sit in the trunk? Nice job!
    bigharpoon:
    The wood in that tray is beautiful. Where does the tray sit in the trunk? Nice job!
    Thanks. The tray actually sits even with the top lip of the truck, but since the inside of the top is domed I shouldn't have any worries about crushing my smokes. I made out like a bandit on this. $35 for the trunk, $30 for the veneer, $10 for the food safe cement to secure the veneer, some smokes to cover labor and he threw in the tray for free.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Man thats nice , and your buddys a good friend sounds like . What is your guestimate on how many the " trunkidor " will hold ?
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Very cool!
    gmill880:
    Man thats nice , and your buddys a good friend sounds like . What is your guestimate on how many the " trunkidor " will hold ?

Thanks. He was a co-worker who had to retire after suffering a stroke while on the job. After 1-1/2 yrs of rehab, he's chilling in his shop doing woodwork and loving life. Best guesstimate on capacity is maybe 100-150 singles. The MOW PA box I plan to use for my beads will take up a bit of space in the bottom.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Sooo jealous right now. That thing is BEAUTIFUL!!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Toombes:
    gmill880:

Thanks. He was a co-worker who had to retire after suffering a stroke while on the job. After 1-1/2 yrs of rehab, he's chilling in his shop doing woodwork and loving life. Best guesstimate on capacity is maybe 100-150 singles. The MOW PA box I plan to use for my beads will take up a bit of space in the bottom.

Gotcha ... thats good . Glad your buddys doing well too . Thats a nice piece bro .
  • chrisd56chrisd56 Posts: 77
    More pictures!!!
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    chrisd56:
    More pictures!!!
    +1
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Very nice Daniel. Looks like a top notch job. How's the seal on the lid when it closes, and what's the estimated capacity? MORE PICS PLEASE!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    chrisd56:
    More pictures!!!
    +1
    we need some good pics of the outside, It looks nice!
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I'd like to see more too, that is very cool!
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Wow awesome, I can't wait to see it loaded.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! Definitely need more pics
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more loved and the more character something has the more I like it, I think you did AMAZING and that is really really special, way to go!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Thank ya, fellers! I'll post more pix tonight.
    In response to all of those wanting to see more pics of the "trunkidor", here ya go!

With the tray in it
    Photobucket

Front carving detail, sort of

Photobucket

Top detail, sorry it's upside down...

Photobucket

And, since some of you wanted to see it when it's full, this was all I could manage to fit in it today...

Photobucket

I'll post more after it's seasoned and I throw some sticks in it.
    By the way, Gene is taking orders if anyone is interested in a humidor. Not trying to step on cabinetmakers toes, because the Gryphon humidors rock!! PM me for info.
  • pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    D@mn it looks real nice
    Thanks. I've still got to order my beads and get it seasoned, then it's on!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang that thing looks huge! I lOve it!
    Rhamlin:
    Dang that thing looks huge! I lOve it!

Interior measures 25x8x10. Should hold at least 40, maybe more if I squeeze them in really tight.
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    Damn Bro that is so EPIC, and I have to give props for the beautifully aged and infused Peach Swisher...
    I'm gonna let it age for a few months, maybe a yr, then the peach and cedar will blend and produce something only describable as sublime...
  • acewoodsonacewoodson Posts: 191
    That's what I love about you bro. You are an overachiever.
    WOOT!! Only the best...
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is SCHWEET! Good stuff, dude.
    Nice looking "trunkidor" and I'm loving the detailed scene that's carved into the wood....very cool 1-of-a-kind humidor.

And I like how you're breaking it in with such a top-shelf, premium stick too. lol

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *