Home Cigar 101

Shipping overseas help...and pelican cases

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
I am gathering a rather large bomb for the troops, thanks to the BORK's around here, and am curious what you guys think the best method to ship would be. I was thinking tupperware with cedar planks seasoned for a couple days would be ideal, with pillows, gel jars, drymistat tubes inside. Also, the guys have a pelican case and I was wondering if that is safe for them to store smokes in? They look just like herfador's... Let me know, I am curious. Can the DCCC chime in? Or possibly Steve2010 if you have used one?

Comments

• Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    catfishbluezz:
    I am gathering a rather large bomb for the troops, thanks to the BORK's around here, and am curious what you guys think the best method to ship would be. I was thinking tupperware with cedar planks seasoned for a couple days would be ideal, with pillows, gel jars, drymistat tubes inside. Also, the guys have a pelican case and I was wondering if that is safe for them to store smokes in? They look just like herfador's... Let me know, I am curious. Can the DCCC chime in? Or possibly Steve2010 if you have used one?

Shipping in Tupperware is safe, just make sure there's not too much room for them to get tossed around.
    Cedar strips are a nice touch, but not really necessary.
    Shipping to most APOs can take anywhere from 7-14 days, so a humi-pillow is a nice touch. The bigger problem with shipping this time of year is the temperature. Temps can top out at 125, which can play havoc with cigars.
    The Pelican cases are OK to store cigars in. I have a 40 ct, and when I take the foam out, I can fit 60 or so in there.
    Don't ship with UPS, FEDEX, or DHL. All of the APOs are serviced by USPS, and I pretty sure the other three don't have service in Afghanistan.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I get cigars from CCOM and from the States sometimes and even just a bag and a humi-pack works great, even when the mail takes its sweet-@ss time getting over here, the cigars keep pretty welll. +1 on the not using private carriers, not that I have anything against them, but you will have to pay a sh!tload of taxes if you use them (the person receiving the cigars).
    Light 'em up.
  • seagarloverseagarlover Posts: 437
    Well, I know from my own travels the Pelican case is the best. I shipped 4 boxes and 3 bundles in a large Pelican case when I was sent to Cambodia last year, they had arrived two weeks prior to my arrival and I can tell you they were as fresh as the day I purchased, and they lasted 3 months. They would hace lasted even longer, but I smoked them all. Here is a picture of the same size case I used. It is Water proof, Crush proof,. Pelican has adds that show trucks driving over these cases. they are true. So I say use a pelican case, hope this helped Photobucket
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I am thinking tupperware is best with packing peanuts to secure the tupperware in the box. I will be sending off next week, good times.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I am a regular DPO user. All you need to do is pack it well with bubble wrap or something like that. Just ensure you put enough humi pouch. This mailing system controlled by our own people and local authority do not even touch them. However, no one can control the weather. They takes 3-8 business days to the destination. One of best mailing system with excellent security and tracking system.
    catfishbluezz:
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I just ordered a Victor Sinclair sampler from CCom and am having them shipped to me in A-stan. I also bought a cheap humi to put them in. My question is this.....will they be packed well enough throught the shipping process to last the two week travel and the couple of days it will take me to season the humi? There is no other good alternative to find a good cigar in this country.
    marineatbn03:
    I just ordered a Victor Sinclair sampler from CCom and am having them shipped to me in A-stan. I also bought a cheap humi to put them in. My question is this.....will they be packed well enough throught the shipping process to last the two week travel and the couple of days it will take me to season the humi? There is no other good alternative to find a good cigar in this country.
    CCom ships with humi pillows, so the only thing you have to worry about is temperature.
    Steve2010, Thanks, fortunately the temps aren't that bad just yet, so there is still hope....
    No prob. Kuwait is starting to warm up. 100+ by the end of the week. Which is why I order most of my smokes between Sep-Mar...although today's deal forced me to pick up some Anejos.
    I think we are 70-80 during the day and 50's at night still, but it won't be long before we hit those temps.
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Are you still going to send out some cigars. I have a ton of singles and would love to send them to you for the troops. If you have yet to send them out let me know and I'll send you these to send with yours.
    I have an order on the way to me, but I will be more than happy to distribute anything anyone wants to give to the troops. I have a couple of big bases in my area with a large Army unit and some SOF units from different branches. We are pretty remote out here so they do not get the mainstream "care packages" some of the other areas get. James