Home General Discussion

HELP! I need help choosing a cigar for my girlfriend

So, my girlfriend wants to try smoking with me sometime and she asked me to pick out a cigar that I think she will like. While we definitely like the same sort of flavors, I dont think she could handle a medium or full bodied cigar. I don't know if I've ever smoked a mild cigar before, so it's new territory for me. Price really isn't too much of an issue - I want her to really enjoy herself. So do you have any recommendations of a mild cigar with a creamy texture, and notes of sweet chocolate and citrus?

Thanks BOTLs

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Just get it over with and give her a Punisher. Stick out tongue [:P]
  • My fiance likes connecticuts. MOW Virtue, Oliva CT, Rocky Patel CT, R&J Vintage. I'd recommend going the connecticut route because a good CT has plenty of creamy flavor and it should (hopefully) not lead to any vomiting.
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    I know my girl friend likes alot of Drew estate natural line and any of their coffee infused ones. The root is one both of you would probably enjoy or any of the java ones.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    oldsoulrevival:
    So, my girlfriend wants to try smoking with me sometime and she asked me to pick out a cigar that I think she will like. While we definitely like the same sort of flavors, I dont think she could handle a medium or full bodied cigar. I don't know if I've ever smoked a mild cigar before, so it's new territory for me. Price really isn't too much of an issue - I want her to really enjoy herself. So do you have any recommendations of a mild cigar with a creamy texture, and notes of sweet chocolate and citrus?

Thanks BOTLs
    An Ashton or a MOW Virtue. Don't know about the San Lotano Connie,'cause I haven't had one, but it might be one to consider.
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I just feel like the MOW Virtue is a LONG smoke... although I guess she could toss it whenever she is done with it
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Gurkha turk or a ashton heritage. both are mild yet creamy.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Have they brought the virtue out in corona yet?
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I agree with the MOW Virtue and Ashton, but I may add 5 Vegas Gold and even Gran Habano Vintage 2002, I know GHV is a bit stronger on the list but the wrapper is rather mild.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Ccom purple label is probably the creamiest cigar I've ever smoked. Something Fuente might be nice, too. Fairly mild, little to no pepper, usually a nice stone fruit kinda sweetness. Yum!
  • Gurkha Park Avenue is about as mild as you can get, and its easy on the wallet
    bigharpoon:
    Ccom purple label is probably the creamiest cigar I've ever smoked. Something Fuente might be nice, too. Fairly mild, little to no pepper, usually a nice stone fruit kinda sweetness. Yum!
    i need to grab the sample of the ccom blends. Every time i read someones comments on them my mouth waters.
    oldsoulrevival:
    I just feel like the MOW Virtue is a LONG smoke... although I guess she could toss it whenever she is done with it
    You can get the Virtue in a corona, same size as the MOW PA, in fact, I've got one I'd be happy to send if you think she'd like it.
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    JDH:
    oldsoulrevival:
    You can get the Virtue in a corona, same size as the MOW PA, in fact, I've got one I'd be happy to send if you think she'd like it.
    That's very tempting - what is the flavor profile of the virtue? I know she LOVES (and I mean LOVES chocolate) so something that has lots of chocolate flavors would be good, however, I want to stay away from infused blends because I want to see if I can get her into true tobacco blends.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    oldsoulrevival:
    JDH:
    oldsoulrevival:
    That's very tempting - what is the flavor profile of the virtue? I know she LOVES (and I mean LOVES chocolate) so something that has lots of chocolate flavors would be good, however, I want to stay away from infused blends because I want to see if I can get her into true tobacco blends.
    You know a Mild chocolaty blend that is dark, but mild-med is Macanudo Maduro Vintage 1997, it is not a connie, but it may fit her flavor profile.
    oldsoulrevival:
    JDH:
    oldsoulrevival:
    Here's a review of the MOW, the Virtue, and the Ruination. I like his reviews, and tend to agree with him pretty much all of the time. I have all of these in a corona, btw. PM if interested.

http://www.cigarinspector.com/man-o-war-flight

• deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    ShotgunJohn:
    oldsoulrevival:
    JDH:
    oldsoulrevival:
    You know a Mild chocolaty blend that is dark, but mild-med is Macanudo Maduro Vintage 1997, it is not a connie, but it may fit her flavor profile.
    +1
    JDH:
    oldsoulrevival:
    JDH:
    oldsoulrevival:
    Here's a review of the MOW, the Virtue, and the Ruination. I like his reviews, and tend to agree with him pretty much all of the time. I have all of these in a corona, btw. PM if interested.

http://www.cigarinspector.com/man-o-war-flight

I've always thought the Padron '64 had a good deal of chocolate flavor...
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Davidoff thousand series, maybe a smaller viola like the 2000 to get her started. $15 of creamy heaven goodness!
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    +1
    OchoZacho:
    Davidoff thousand series, maybe a smaller viola like the 2000 to get her started. $15 of creamy heaven goodness!
  • JudoJudo Posts: 9
    Hey BOTLs, If money isn't an issue buy a 5pk of Padron 3000 natural. Betcha She'll like it and You will too! I Cigar.com as of yesterday had some available.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    ShotgunJohn:
    oldsoulrevival:
    JDH:
    oldsoulrevival:
    excellent sugestion,, great stick
  • chrisd56chrisd56 Posts: 77
    Try a Tabak dulce, very light and sweet. Womed i know like the Acid line. The Java and Java mint are def. sweet too. The Tabak dulce is probably the lightest.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    It doesn't have the chocolate, but I enjoy the Perdomo CTs such as Lot 23 or Champagne.
  • Katt68Katt68 Posts: 124
    I would suggest the Java Mint. I tried this last week and it was GREAT! and Being a SoTL I think she will like it!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Montecristo Media Noche - sweet and spicey combined with toasty - she may like it . I know you said you wanted to stay away from infused but the Drew Estate Java from what you say she likes would be hard to beat IMHO . It still has a nice smooth tocaccoey (word?) taste as well as the cocoa and java flavors .
    gmill880:
    Montecristo Media Noche - sweet and spicey combined with toasty - she may like it . I know you said you wanted to stay away from infused but the Drew Estate Java from what you say she likes would be hard to beat IMHO . It still has a nice smooth tocaccoey (word?) taste as well as the cocoa and java flavors .
    +1 on the media noche. It is my personal favorite , it also the first cigar my gf smoked and she loves them too ( im luckey if i get to smoke any of it). She gets a little nic sick from it though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    OchoZacho:
    my wife actually likes the gran cru a little more.
  • oilburneroilburner Posts: 91
    Personally, I'd lean toward a lighter maduro, the previously mentioned macanudo 97' may be a good choice. Is the 5v A too strong? I also like the fonseca 5-50 for people who are newer to smoking. I get a bready and toasty flavor from it with some gingerbread notes later on.

Despite my fonseca recommendation, I'm always surprised when people push Connecticuts as starter smokes. They almost chased me away from cigars when I was getting started. To me they have a harsh bite that is quite a turn off, especially when they're fresh.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    oilburner:
    Personally, I'd lean toward a lighter maduro, the previously mentioned macanudo 97' may be a good choice. Is the 5v A too strong? I also like the fonseca 5-50 for people who are newer to smoking. I get a bready and toasty flavor from it with some gingerbread notes later on. Despite my fonseca recommendation, I'm always surprised when people push Connecticuts as starter smokes. They almost chased me away from cigars when I was getting started. To me they have a harsh bite that is quite a turn off, especially when they're fresh.
    you may be subconsciously be smoking them too fast. they tend to be lighter in body, mouth feel and often times flavor. some of those combinations make for a "unsatisfying" puff like you did not puff at all.
    so you puff a little faster to make up for it.
    this heats up the cigar giving you the harsh bite you are talking about.

... just a theory.
  • oilburneroilburner Posts: 91
    Certainly could be possible. I'm really sensitive to the ammonia in "sick" cigars as well, so the combination of smoking too fast and underaged cigars might have been the combo that did that.