Home General Discussion

Cohiba Cigar

I just bought a Cohiba Cigar @ my local cigar shope....the label looks identical to those of Cuba with the exception that it does not say "habana" it says REPUBLICA DOMINICANA...i have yet to see one online or a picture of one. Has anyone had one like the one i purchased?? I puzzled

Comments

• robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219

I have one of those, it has a black band and a red dot, I think that's pretty standard, but I am not sure, Robert

"Happiness is a long ash".

• I have had those....(black band w/red dot)...but the one i bought is the black and gold band just like the cuban made cigars....but underneath the COHIBA lettering it says REPUBLICA DOMINICANA....i have never seen a label like that before....then again im new to cigar smoking (less than 5 months).
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Ask your B&M why they are selling counterfeit cigars and ask for a refund of whatever you payed for it. Im serious. I can understand B&M's attempting to sell under the table cubans that they think are real....but any cigar vendor worth his salt KNOWS that cohiba dominicans are red dot cohibas...THEY DO NOT MAKE BLACK AND GOLD DOMINICAN COHIBAS. Those caps werent meant for you, they were meant for your local shop trying to play one on you. I understand local shops are under hard times with local taxes, SCHIP, and better internet wholesale offers and im happy to stop by my own now and then to buy a few...but...attempting to dump knockoffs on unsuspecting smokers annoys the hell out of me.
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Vidarien:
    Ask your B&M why they are selling counterfeit cigars and ask for a refund of whatever you payed for it. Im serious. I can understand B&M's attempting to sell under the table cubans that they think are real....but any cigar vendor worth his salt KNOWS that cohiba dominicans are red dot cohibas...THEY DO NOT MAKE BLACK AND GOLD DOMINICAN COHIBAS. Those caps werent meant for you, they were meant for your local shop trying to play one on you. I understand local shops are under hard times with local taxes, SCHIP, and better internet wholesale offers and im happy to stop by my own now and then to buy a few...but...attempting to dump knockoffs on unsuspecting smokers annoys the hell out of me.
    None of them said anything about being sold to them as a Cuban... ??? I'm not sure where you got that from...

What you have is a red dot cohiba... It's a legit brand, but not affiliated with the cuban cohiba... And yes, some of their sticks do have black lettering with a tannish/yellowish (though not nearly as yellow as a real cohiba)... In truth they really don't look anything like a legit isom...

They are a decent smoke, but not one of my favorites... and CERTAINLY nothing like a legit cohiba...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    they arent bad smokes even though they arent cuban. many people swear by them actually.
    rusirius:
    Vidarien:
    None of them said anything about being sold to them as a Cuban... ??? I'm not sure where you got that from...

What you have is a red dot cohiba... It's a legit brand, but not affiliated with the cuban cohiba... And yes, some of their sticks do have black lettering with a tannish/yellowish (though not nearly as yellow as a real cohiba)... In truth they really don't look anything like a legit isom...

They are a decent smoke, but not one of my favorites... and CERTAINLY nothing like a legit cohiba...
    Oh rus..i was referring to understanding that i could see how a B&M could make the error IF it were a cuban, but in his case..its dominican...and im pretty darn sure that all dominican produced cohibas are red dot cohiba bands. I was also pretty darn sure that any black and gold dominican labeled cohiba (such as the one he mentioned he purchased) was a total knockoff because i wasnt aware of the dominican cohiba using those colors ever, and I had been fairly sure they never did. In fact, i think CA wrote an article about just this sort of thing exactly. I wasnt aware some of their sticks ever used this banding though, as you said. Interesting.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I find it funny that a lot of the advice for finding knock-off Cubans says to look at the band and make sure it says "Habana"... like what's shown here

I mean... if someone is going to go to the trouble to print their own counterfeit band, wouldn't you expect them to, at the very least, put the right words on it? If it says "Republica Dominicana" on it, can it even really be considered a counterfeit Cuban?

Again.. same thing here

I mean, it's nice to think that counterfeiters are just a bunch of complete morons. But even if you've exhaustively studied the band on your cigar, the only way to REALLY know it's an authentic Cuban would be to purchase it from one of the authorized retailers of Cuban cigars, and then smoke it. I mean, if we're banking on low-quality reproductions in bands as being our clue to the authenticity of a cigar, perhaps we could learn a thing or two from the people who have been identifying counterfeit currency. It seems that if somebody wanted to take the extra few hours, and spend the extra couple grand, they'd get a perfect reproduction on the band.
  • i found the answer...it took awhile but i now know the story behind the COHIBA-Republica Dominicana cigar...i found this......Dominican Domestic: But there's more: the copyright to the name "Cohiba" in the Dominican Republic for sale only in the Dominican is held by an unrelated operation! These may not be sold in (or to) the United States, but you can freely import them for personal use from the Republic. However, these are generally regarded as the worst of the bunch, so you'll probably want to steer clear. Identification: Otherwise identical to the Cuban Cohiba label, except that "La Havana, Cuba" is replaced with "Republica Dominicana".
    Makes sense to me.

I guess i shouldve clarified earlier...the legitimate non-cuban Cohiba company (General Cigar Company Inc.) doesnt use that wrapper ever, what you said is entirely possible and very believable. And as far as im concerned, your B&M still tried to scam you unless they were very upfront about what was going on. When people buy a non-cuban cohiba, they're expecting a General Cigar Company cohiba brand cigar, not gaming people around with a knockoff.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    AQUADGIO1200:
    i found the answer...it took awhile but i now know the story behind the COHIBA-Republica Dominicana cigar...i found this......Dominican Domestic: But there's more: the copyright to the name "Cohiba" in the Dominican Republic for sale only in the Dominican is held by an unrelated operation! These may not be sold in (or to) the United States, but you can freely import them for personal use from the Republic. However, these are generally regarded as the worst of the bunch, so you'll probably want to steer clear. Identification: Otherwise identical to the Cuban Cohiba label, except that "La Havana, Cuba" is replaced with "Republica Dominicana".
    fantastic.

thank you for lookin that up.
    Yeah...im familiar with it. A friend gave me one once because he had a few i guess, he knew they were knockoffs too. Thing about knockoffs is that they arent always terrible. This one wasnt either, just very bland, basic, and consistent. I mean, id compare it to a dominican primeros regionals, if you ever got one of those thrown into a sampler.