Home General Discussion
Options

Oh, Humidity... why must you leave me?

So....

I have a humidor.  It holds 25-50 cigars.  I've got about.... 35 to 40 in there right now.

For some reason, I can't get the humidity to get above 65%.  The reading on my digital hygrometer right now is 71.0F / 65%.  It's been tested using the salt method, so I know that it's accurate.

I am using 1x jar of Xikar-branded beads, and 1x tube of DryMistat beads as the humidity source.  I've seasoned the humidor maybe 3 times over the past 9 to 12 months.  The humidity will stay close to 70% after seasoning for a few weeks.  But after those few weeks, I cna't seem to keep the humidity up.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    how often do you recharge your humidification devices?

did your humidor pass the dollar bill test?

whats wrong with 65% RH?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

whats wrong with 65% RH?
    65 is good. I'm asking the same thing kuzi did...
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    I prefer 65-67% humidity for my cigars. Anything higher and I sometimes get burn issues.
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    I prefer mine at 65 personally, I think the cigar stays lit longer between puffs... ...Or I'm just crazy..
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Mine's at about 67%, but that's only because my stogies seemed to get a bit dry over the winter, so I bumped it up a bit. Otherwise, I keep it at 65.
  • Options
    kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    kuzi16:

whats wrong with 65% RH?

These 2 devices are new, so they are fully charged.  I  plan on recharging whenever the crystals shrink down to the "recharge" line on the bottle / tube.

What is the dollar bill test?

And I always thought that 65% was low... I thought the ideal was 70 / 70.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kent1146:
    kuzi16:

whats wrong with 65% RH?

These 2 devices are new, so they are fully charged.  I  plan on recharging whenever the crystals shrink down to the "recharge" line on the bottle / tube.

some would argue that. though it is whatever you feel your cigars smoke well at.
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    Im one that would argue that as well. Sometimes 70 causes some burn issues i dislike, 65% is healthy. But that said 67 is pleasant too.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kent1146:

the dollar bill test is a way of testing your humidor's seal. open the humidor and lay a dollar bill half in and half out and close the lid. if you cant close it or if you can close it and the dollar bill does not move, your seal is good. if it slides then it not good.

another test is the flashlight test. Place a lit flashlight in there and turn off all the lights. if you see any light coming out of the humidor the seal is bad.

i keep my humidor at 65% at all times. way better burns.
  • Options
    robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try this out on my humidore! My RH is about 65 to 70. Can't say I am having burn issues though other than not being able to smoke more than one at a time. lol!