Home Ratings & Reviews

Liga Privada Feral Flying Pig~Amateur's Point Of View

It’s a fact of life that some things are automatically associated with others, for instance: Income-Taxes. Another is: Drew Estate-Infused cigars. Fortunately for the more traditional cigar smoker, DE is a wizard when it comes to more traditional blends. Case in point, the Liga Privada 9 and its associates the Flying Pig and the Dirty Rat. Another outstanding blend is the T52.
Released last year, the Liga Privada Feral Flying Pig is a hefty 5.4 x 60 smoke that is extremely heavy and solidly rolled. The Connecticut Broadleaf Viso wrapper has some small veins and is extremely oily. The binder is Brazilian and the filler is all Nicaraguan.

The pre-light sniff reveals leather, some sweet spice, and an almost subliminal aroma of rum. I’m not a fan of a lot of large ring gauge cigars just because it seems like some of the blenders made a fatty because it’s in vogue. This may be a 60 ring, but has the mouth-feel of a 54 due to its semi-double perfecto shape.
The initial flavors are damp, peaty earth and oak, with a dusting of pepper. The draw is impressive and lush, producing a huge volume of thick, creamy smoke.

Through the first half, the cigar is firmly in the medium bodied category, however it seemed like as soon as the first ash fell, that triggered an onslaught of flavor and power.

The initial flavors remained the same, joined by a chocolaty syrupy sweetness. As the sweetness appeared, the spiciness increased, especially through the nose. From the halfway point until the end, the Feral Pig unleashed a fury of power and strength and definitely shows you who the boss is.
The burn remained laser-straight from first light until the nub.
This is not just another Liga Privada, nor is it a larger Flying Pig. The Feral is its own cigar with a completely different blend that can hold its own against the best of the Nicaraguans, Hondurans, and Cubans.
Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but if you’re willing to plop down $15 for a ninety minute joy ride. The Feral Flying Pig is the cigar equivalent of Disneyland’s “E-ticket”.

Comments

• y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Nice review. Man, I gotta get me one of these.
  • Nice review, Steve... as always! This is on my short list to try. -Doc
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Doctor Cigaro:
    Nice review, Steve... as always! This is on my short list to try. -Doc

Thanks guys. Even though I left the Social site, i still like to share my experience
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    How long was this FFP rested? I picked up 2 that I plan on resting unless they aren't great with lots of time.
    scarlin:
    How long was this FFP rested? I picked up 2 that I plan on resting unless they aren't great with lots of time.

10 days. I hit it for 5 and plan on resting a few until I can secure more.
    Even with only 10 days, it has the potential of turning into something extra special with additional aging.

• big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Nice, I got a few of these in my humi and they keep calling my name every time I open it up
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Thanks for the review. I picked one up recently (with both hands LOL) and just put it in the humi. Man, this bad boy is so heavy, dark, and oily that figured it needed some time in the corner.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Great review! I gotta get my hands on one of these!
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    It will be hard to resist lighting one... Thanks for the great review with visual aids included!
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    sounds interesting. ill be burning one of these this weekend. might hit up the drew estate event in san jose
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    beatnic:
    Thanks for the review. I picked one up recently (with both hands LOL) and just put it in the humi. Man, this bad boy is so heavy, dark, and oily that figured it needed some time in the corner.
    It is a superb looking cigar. That dark oily wrapper is so pretty..Everytime I open my humi and see it..and all my LP9s..yum
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Still haven't tried this one, want too but can't find any. I liked the review, nice job.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    smoked one tonight. wasnt sure i was going to enjoy it do to ring gauge. but after the first few puffs i was hooked. smoked it down to about 1 1/2 inches.
    in the last third as the strenght really ramped up, the flavors seemed to mix and the cigar became so strong i kinda stoped enjoying it.

other than that it was a wonderful smoke and im glad i could get my hands on a few. will let the others rest for a bit befor smoking another

also the smoke production from this stick was unreal.
    might have had something to do with the wind where i was smoking outside, but ive never seen a cigar put off that much smoke
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    415:

might have had something to do with the wind where i was smoking outside, but ive never seen a cigar put off that much smoke
    In my experience all the LPs, especially the no.9s have insane smoke output, and have more resting smoke than any other cigars that I can think of. The Undercrowns are the same way.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    L40 is the only LP I have yet to try. T52 is so far my fav out of all of them.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • StrongStyleStrongStyle Posts: 221
    Got a box of the Ferals last month. I love them. My shop just got some T52's in. Cant wait to smoke those.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Great review ... gotta try one of those .
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I've had the No 9 and UnderCrown. Enjoy the hell out of both of them.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Direwolf:

Seems that I'm the only ba@%&*d here who hasn't tried these. No fear, though, I have an Undercrown napping in the cool darkness of my humidor that shall meet it's sweet demise in another month or so...
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    As most know. I love the Undercrown, No. 9, T52, and I absolutely love the feral pig. I buy or trade for them whenever I can. Now if someone can find me a No.9 flying pig I will be their friend for life.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    JHewey:
    Direwolf:
    As most know. I love the Undercrown, No. 9, T52, and I absolutely love the feral pig. I buy or trade for them whenever I can. Now if someone can find me a No.9 flying pig I will be their friend for life.
    After researching a bit...I found an epic B&M an hour north of me and it looked like they had Liga smokes. I'm curious after talking to about them after I smoke one to make a trip up there and see what they have. I'll keep my eyes peeled, I've never seen a Liga in any of the B&M's I've gone too, but I love digging adn prodding the shop guys for hidden gems.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    JHewey:
    Direwolf:
    After researching a bit...I found an epic B&M an hour north of me and it looked like they had Liga smokes. I'm curious after talking to about them after I smoke one to make a trip up there and see what they have. I'll keep my eyes peeled, I've never seen a Liga in any of the B&M's I've gone too, but I love digging adn prodding the shop guys for hidden gems.
    The odds of finding a No.9 flying pig are slim. But if you do.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    JHewey:
    catfishbluezz:
    JHewey:
    Direwolf:
    The odds of finding a No.9 flying pig are slim. But if you do.
    I was just looking at pics on their FB page...and it looks like there are 20-30 boxes. They claim to be the largest walk in humi in CA, I'll check it out for sure and let you know.
    Catfish, PM sent
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    415:

In my experience all the LPs, especially the no.9s have insane smoke output, and have more resting smoke than any other cigars that I can think of. The Undercrowns are the same way.
    totally had this happen to me. had a undercrown toro last night in my little garage and the insane amount of smoke bellowing everywhere kinda weirded / amazed me. at one point i would just look at the insane amount of smoke and paid less attention to the flavors haha. good thing my entire garage door was open.