Home Non Cigar Related

concealed weapon permit

jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
does a class c felony 20 years ago disqualify you from being able to obtain a concealed weapon permit?

Comments

• Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Depends on the state you are on in. I think here in GA you would be ok. But each state has its own laws.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    Here in Florida you would be screwed, I think. I think any felony, regardless of when it happened, disqualifies you. Not 100% sure though. Which reminds me, I have to renew mine soon.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    washington state?

i bet youd be screwed. Im fairly sure you couldnt in Ohio.

im thinking of getting mine.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    In TX you are out. Any felony charge ever and you can't get you CHL.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Any felony conviction will disqualify you from owning a gun...however, if you were under the age of 18, chances are that your record would have been sealed and different rules would apply.

"Long ashes my friends."

• SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    According to Washington state law, having a felony of any kind disqualifies you from obtaining a CCW.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    jihiggs:
    does a class c felony 20 years ago disqualify you from being able to obtain a concealed weapon permit?
    Out of curiosity, what types of crimes constitute "class c?"
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    jihiggs:
    A broad range of offenses fall under Class C Felony.. Bribery, Forgery, Escape from Custody, Interference with a burial, public Indecency, Some computer crimes, abuse, misrepresentation, arson, some robbery charges, some sex crimes, manslaughter ( second degree) , trespassing, 5th DUI, conspiracy, embezzelment, assualt of a police officer, inciting a riot, recieving stolen property, ballot tampering, stalking, battery, unlawfully practice of medicine, and something as simple as failure to return rented property. There are lots more but that gives you an idea that it could be anything..
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Luko:
    jihiggs:
    A broad range of offenses fall under Class C Felony.. Bribery, Forgery, Escape from Custody, Interference with a burial, public Indecency, Some computer crimes, abuse, misrepresentation, arson, some robbery charges, some sex crimes, manslaughter ( second degree) , trespassing, 5th DUI, conspiracy, imbezzelment, assualt of a police officer, inciting a riot, recieving stolen property, ballot tampering, stalking, battery, unlawfully practice of medicine, and something as simple as failure to return rented property. There are lots more but that gives you an idea that it could be anything..
    Interesting...so should someone found guilty of assaulting a police officer be allowed to carry a concealed weapon? How about someone who rents a big screen TV for the Super Bowl and fails to return it?
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Wait, if his bio says your 29 and it happened 20 years ago, then that makes him 9 years old. My money is he ran naked through a department store and that incited a riot. And he stuck his tongue out at the arresting officer which constituted assault.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    In TX you are out. Any felony charge ever and you can't get you CHL.
    You're out in CO too
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Luko:
    jihiggs:
    A broad range of offenses fall under Class C Felony.. Bribery, Forgery, Escape from Custody, Interference with a burial, public Indecency, Some computer crimes, abuse, misrepresentation, arson, some robbery charges, some sex crimes, manslaughter ( second degree) , trespassing, 5th DUI, conspiracy, imbezzelment, assualt of a police officer, inciting a riot, recieving stolen property, ballot tampering, stalking, battery, unlawfully practice of medicine, and something as simple as failure to return rented property. There are lots more but that gives you an idea that it could be anything..
    smoking a cigar....
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    kaspera79:

What the hell am I supposed to do on weekends then?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Class X felonies are far more interesting !
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Class X felonies are far more interesting !
    ? Do tell.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    it is not I that commited the felony 20 years ago (when I was 9), it was a question I needed answered to expalin my suspision about somthing some one told me, wink wink hush hush kinda thing.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    a great resource for questions of this kind: http://www.handgunlaw.us/
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Also packing.org is an awesome website and uber informative. I've had a CA CCW(which was a beeeeyatch to get) for a little over a year now. Here is is up to the County Sherriff as to wheter or not you have "good cause" to have one. Effin CA!!! So subjective. I got mine when we had a Very Pro Gun Sherrif in office, being military also helped a lot.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    now if there was a weapon that was about shotgun size that could push out a neutron pulse or even a small mini nuke I'd be over that...
    Jet, packing.org has been gone for a long time. The link I posted was started by two of the guys who used to be at packing. Also some good state specific forums at opencarry.org.
    I got mine in CO about 2 years ago and it is the same as in CA in that the individual county sheriffs get to make the decision. Now the difference is that in CO, they have to have a reason NOT to give you one. If you've been through the class and apply, they have to have show why you shouldn't get one like previous criminal activity, mental disability or something like that. And it also helped me by being military too. I didn't have to take the class. I just had to give them a copy of my most recent pistol qualification.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm actually considering getting my carry permit simply for one reason. There is a 5 day waiting period on buying a handgun and even with a peace officer license you still have to wait, but if you have a CHL you don't... That has never made any sense to me that a cop has to wait while they conduct a background check, but a CHL holder doesn't.
    Virginia is a "shall-issue" state, so if you're not a prohibited person you're good to go. We also have state-level preemption, so no localities can enact any regulations more stringent than those at the state level.
    We are also an open carry state, which requires no permit at all, and is how I usually roll.

I also have permits from Utah and New Hampshire; combined with my Virginia permit, and considering the reciprocity with other states, I'm legal to CC in about 35 states.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    PuroFreak:
    I'm actually considering getting my carry permit simply for one reason. There is a 5 day waiting period on buying a handgun and even with a peace officer license you still have to wait, but if you have a CHL you don't... That has never made any sense to me that a cop has to wait while they conduct a background check, but a CHL holder doesn't.
    That is pretty odd, only thing I could think of is CHL holder's being put through a fairly rigorous background check just to get the license, and they just assume that is good enough.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    Jet, packing.org has been gone for a long time. The link I posted was started by two of the guys who used to be at packing. Also some good state specific forums at opencarry.org.

Well sumbeeitch, guess it is gone. That was my favorte site when i was doing research for mine. Sorry bout that. Your link has awesome info on it.
  • SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    AZ. is also a "Shall issue" state. I'm just waitin' for mine to arrive in the mail.
    zoom6zoom:
    Virginia is a "shall-issue" state,
    Thats the terminology I was trying to think of. That is what CO is too.