Home Cigar 101

re- seasoning a dried up humidor ?

kos22uskos22us Posts: 47
i have a dried up humidor i would like to get back in use, i've had a plastic tub of distilled water in it for a few days now and the RH level of course is slowly rising, i plan to use the boveda 65% humi packs in this humidor and have it between 65-68, currently the RH is up to 58% so at what level should i swap out tub and put in the humi packs ? right at 65 or ... ? anything helps thanks Jack, PA

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What size humidor? Are you reading off analog or digital?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Make sure you're using a calibrated digital hygrometer, get it to the point where it holds at 70% solid, then replace the dish with Boveda packs.
  • kos22uskos22us Posts: 47
    danielzreyes:
    humidor is advertised as i think 150 0r 175 count but more like 75 to 100 sticks, using a xikar digital hygro, i calibrated it before i started with both the salt test and the boveda calibrating kit
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i would get it above 75% before you bring it back down to the 65% that you want it
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did this myself with a small twenty count from my Pops years ago, used the Boveda Seasoning Packet and it was PERFECT.... never had an issue with it once after the Boveda Seasoning packet...now I maintain it with 70% Boveda Packs.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kos22us:
    danielzreyes:
    humidor is advertised as i think 150 0r 175 count but more like 75 to 100 sticks, using a xikar digital hygro, i calibrated it before i started with both the salt test and the boveda calibrating kit
    58 is a bit low. Wait till its 70+ then you can swap it out.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR