Home Ratings & Reviews

Partagas 160

rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
Back in 1995, to commemorate the 150 years of Partagas cigar, General cigar released the very limited Partagas 150 cigar. In my amateur opinion Partagas 150/160 are one of the best non-Cuban medium body cigars in the market. The strength is well balanced with tons of complex flavor. P150 was blended under the watch of Benjamin Menedez. After 10 years Daniel Nunez created Partagas 160. The best part of both P150/160 is the vintage Cameroon wrapper(CW). Only one German family produce the best quality CW in Cameroon which is also the most expensive wrapper in the market. Choosing the best CW is a difficult task because it is very thin and fragile. At the same time, the age is a factor but it is also important to pick the right leaf from the right height of the plant. The top leaves are thick and very difficult to use. The Cameroon plants are not very tall and few leaves are top quality. Experts say, only five or six leaves from one plant produces quality CW leaves. The wrapper of this cigar is from 1977 and blended with Dominican Piloto Cubano and Mexican San Andres filler tobacco. I am smoking a Partagas 160 this morning. Started with mild and smooth oaky note. Medium spicy kick with perfect sweetness. 1/3 mark doesn't have the wow factor but it starts releasing the complex flavor from 2/3 mark. The sweetness moved the flavor and aroma into raisin/prune fruity notes with more spicy kick. The smoke is very smooth and creamy at this stage. There is no harshness through the nose at all. This wonderful cigar is very easy to retrohale. Perfect way to enjoy a cigar's deep strength and complex flavor. The sweet, buttery, spicy flavor combined with very mild vanilla tone. The cigar boost with more spicy note at this stage. The spice tone is very enjoyable and complex with cinnamon, clove under notes. This is a perfect example of a complex, medium bodied cigar. The long finish is notable with balanced spiciness. My mouth is really enjoying the endless, complex tingly feeling. All I can say is- Perfect Smoke!!! Photobucket Photobucket

Comments

• ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Great review, and I love the background info as always. My local shop has a few of these in the robusto size going for about $21 each. I may need to pick one up for a special occasion.
  • stowggiestowggie Posts: 399
    I've never wanted to try a cigar so bad after reading areview as I do this one. It sounds awesome! Great review!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Oh Yeah , I definitly see a few of these on the horizon .
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great review. The 150 is my favorite Cameroon wrapped cigar. One of very few Cameroon cigars I've enjoyed. The flavor on this wrapper has aged and mellowed well over the years
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dennis. Both are good but I am still tilted towards the P150 over P160.
    dennisking:
    Thanks for the great review. The 150 is my favorite Cameroon wrapped cigar. One of very few Cameroon cigars I've enjoyed. The flavor on this wrapper has aged and mellowed well over the years