Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Rock N Roll hall of fame

The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
I recently read that Axl Rose is snubbing his induction into the Rock n Roll hall of fame with Guns and Roses.. I guess he's still pretty bitter and refusing to go on stage with the previous bandmates.. IMO Im surprised the band is even being inducted. I dont know what the criteria is, but it seems to be where they let everyone in these days.. Not gonna say Guns and Roses wernt good but Rock n Roll hall of fame good,, Hmmm idk thats a stretch for me.

Comments

• Options
    It does seem very odd to allow them in, when band's with such impact like KISS and Judas Priest are not in.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    There is no dOubt that GnR should be in the hall o fame. Bands like Priest, Rush , and KISS should have been in a million years ago. Madonna's induction pisses me of because now ya know Bieber will be in one day lol
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait. Madonna is in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, but music changing bands, like Kiss, Rush and Priest are not?? That makes absolutely no sense at all.
    I don't follow music too much, but who do they have deciding who gets in? Barbara Walters??
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    She was inducted in 2008. That's pretty much when I lost all respect for the HOF
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    IMO rock n roll is dead - not much young blood in that genere anymore.
  • Options
    Auto tune has **** music all up.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    The Foo Fighters latest album was produced using analog equipment in Dave Grohl's garage. That said, his garage looks nothing like my garage, but he actually went out and made an amazing album specifically without the use of any digital effects. So there is at least one band out there still doing it right.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Direwolf:
    The Foo Fighters latest album was produced using analog equipment in Dave Grohl's garage. That said, his garage looks nothing like my garage, but he actually went out and made an amazing album specifically without the use of any digital effects. So there is at least one band out there still doing it right.
    Just because it is analog, does not mean it is not mixed and mastered digitally which is most likely what they did. The studio I work for does that, but analog sounds 100 times better...and people are starting to realize that's the difference in many of today's recordings. I agree....Autotune has destroyed the artform. Solo'ing Marley, Wonder, and Mercury's vocal tracks....those guys woudl not make it today and autotune would destory their personality.
  • Options
    The RRHOF is a joke....honestly, it's kind of like the grammy's. And for the guys saying R&R is dead, there are plenty of great bands out there still keeping it alive, they just don;t have any $$$ behind them. Guys like the Black Keys have restored my faith in the business though.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    The RRHOF is a joke....honestly, it's kind of like the grammy's. And for the guys saying R&R is dead, there are plenty of great bands out there still keeping it alive, they just don;t have any $$$ behind them. Guys like the Black Keys have restored my faith in the business though.
    True that. There are some great bands out there and if they could get some money behind them things could change. I like music with some spine to it.I love seeing bands live and knowing that they are actually performing the music and not lip synchin to a track so they can do some really fancy dance moves.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And what music did Madonna do that was rock?
    I thought she was "Pop"? Guess my interpretation of what is rock and the RRHOF's is two different things.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    The Kid:
    I recently read that Axl Rose is snubbing his induction into the Rock n Roll hall of fame with Guns and Roses.. I guess he's still pretty bitter and refusing to go on stage with the previous bandmates.. IMO Im surprised the band is even being inducted. I dont know what the criteria is, but it seems to be where they let everyone in these days.. Not gonna say Guns and Roses wernt good but Rock n Roll hall of fame good,, Hmmm idk thats a stretch for me.
    Don't make me take you to school on some GnR Rudy... lol. It hurts my soul that you can question their legitimacy to the HOF.

They deserve to be in a legit HOF, not the joke that has become the current Rock N Roll HOF.
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    On my last trip to Sydney i met Slash... he has to be the only reason they were elected. Anyone who is that incoherent and still somehow functions deserves something.... maybe hes just lucky to be alive. Dude was out of it. Think ozzy osbourne`esk
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Even you can't deny that GnR defined rock during the "Metal" days along with Pre-Sell-Out-Die-in-a-****-fire Metallica, and Megadeth! I really hope Slash accepts on behalf of the band as a huge F*** You to William (Axl) Rose
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    catfishbluezz:
    SleevePlz:
    Direwolf:
    Just because it is analog, does not mean it is not mixed and mastered digitally which is most likely what they did. The studio I work for does that, but analog sounds 100 times better...and people are starting to realize that's the difference in many of today's recordings. I agree....Autotune has destroyed the artform. Solo'ing Marley, Wonder, and Mercury's vocal tracks....those guys woudl not make it today and autotune would destory their personality.
    Idk about Mercury he still has one of the widest vocal ranges out there
    Wonder and Marley on the other hand... meh I never thought they could sing.

Also I don't think it's the tools, it's the lack of creative artists.
    Seriously an analog (insert popular radio rock band here) would still be just as sh*tty.

• Options
    BigT06:
    The Kid:
    Don't make me take you to school on some GnR Rudy... lol. It hurts my soul that you can question their legitimacy to the HOF.

They deserve to be in a legit HOF, not the joke that has become the current Rock N Roll HOF.
    Take me to school,, Hah... They got what two albums?? ...Appetite for Destruction and Lies,,,lol,, Ok use your illusion 1 wasnt too bad either,,..Lets see other bands of that era,, WHitesnake, Motley Crue, Van Halen, U2, Deep Purple, Scorpions, Def Leppard, ZZ Top, Ozzy ,, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Damn Yankees, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Rush... Axl Rose couldn't hold their sweat towel. Oh and lets not forget Ronnie James Dio,
  • Options
    Preach it Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I know rock and roll. Madonna is not rock and roll. I think there is a spot for GandR. IMO. They need to slow down and end new inductees, because rock and roll is long over. There will be good musicions, playing good back-beat rhythms. But rock and roll will always be defined by the era. Like jazz, it ended with the death of Myles Davis. JMO.
  • Options
    They may as well induct Ratt and Cinderella while theyre at it..
    But I digress,,, This wasnt so much about whether or not G n R deserves to be in the HOF. theres many a band that probably doesnt deserve to be inducted.. The thread was more about Axl Rose being a dh and refusing to accept the award and still holding a grudge against his bandmates..
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The Kid:
    They may as well induct Ratt and Cinderella while theyre at it..
    But I digress,,, This wasnt so much about whether or not G n R deserves to be in the HOF. theres many a band that probably doesnt deserve to be inducted.. The thread was more about Axl Rose being a dh and refusing to accept the award and still holding a grudge against his bandmates..
    Oh, he's a dh for sure.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Dake away all of his Assholishness and there is still one good reason to keep Axl out of the Hall of Fame:

Chinese Democracy

induct the rest of GnR, i mean LA Guns.
  • Options
    20 years of waiting for that pile of CRAP!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Congrats to Guns & Roses heres my 3 favorite G n R songs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbUC-UaAxE
  • Options
    The Kid:
    BigT06:
    The Kid:

Take me to school,, Hah... They got what two albums?? ...Appetite for Destruction and Lies,,,lol,, Ok use your illusion 1 wasnt too bad either,,..Lets see other bands of that era,, WHitesnake, Motley Crue, Van Halen, U2, Deep Purple, Scorpions, Def Leppard, ZZ Top, Ozzy ,, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Damn Yankees, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Rush... Axl Rose couldn't hold their sweat towel. Oh and lets not forget Ronnie James Dio,
    Rudy, clearly you are not ready for my schooling if you think that all of the bands listed were from the same time as GnR. Just because they were still playing music doesn't mean they were from the same time. You mentioned some truly great bands in that list. Some of them, however, made me laugh.

I will respect your opinion that there are better frontmen than Axl Rose (and I will agree with you on that). But his contributions to the band were unquestionable, and collectively, they are one of the most influential and most talented bands of any era. Including the many eras that you sight as theirs, according to your list of other bands from their era. lol
  • Options
    LOL,,, Yes I did equate to other bands that may not have come out in 1987 but were producing music in that time frame, obviously I left out some like ACDC Lynyrd Skynyrd Rolling Stones and the like because they started much earlier, But Many of the bands I suggested were extremely active and produced alot of their music in that timeframe,, Now if were only talking bands that came out in the late 80's the list will obviously get shorter,, SO do we say within 3 years plus or minus,, whats the criteria??? GNR are talented,, I agree with that,, One of the better bands that debuted in the late 80's ...OK....Most talented and influential bands of "any" era,,I wholeheartedly disagree with that,, But I do conceed and say that if the HOF is inducting bands like Beastie boys and Red Hot Chilli peppers then GNR should be in there as well,, As I said before I would equate GNR to bands like Poison, Skid Row, Ratt, Cinderella Slaughter, Mr Big and the like..

20 top rock songs of 1987,,(not my list)

Jan 1987 1 1 1 1 Livin' On A Prayer Bon Jovi
    Apr 1987 18 9 1 2 Jammin' Me Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
    Mar 1987 1 1 1 3 With Or Without You U2
    Feb 1987 5 5 1 4 Midnight Blue Lou Gramm
    Jun 1987 23 26 1 5 Give To Live Sammy Hagar
    Jul 1987 9 4 1 6 Touch Of Grey Grateful Dead
    Nov 1987 1 7 On The Turning Away Pink Floyd
    May 1987 1 1 1 8 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For U2
    Sep 1987 1 9 Learning To Fly Pink Floyd
    Oct 1987 30 29 1 10 Love Will Find A Way Yes
    Feb 1987 1 11 I'm No Angel The Gregg Allman Band
    Nov 1987 9 8 1 12 Tunnel Of Love Bruce Springsteen
    Dec 1987 6 3 1 13 Say You Will Foreigner
    Jan 1987 14 7 1 14 I Wanna Go Back Eddie Money
    Aug 1987 14 8 1 15 Dude (Looks Like A Lady) Aerosmith
    May 1987 1 1 1 16 Shakedown Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
    Aug 1987 9 8 1 17 Paper In Fire John Cougar Mellencamp
    Jun 1987 1 1 1 18 Alone Heart
    Jul 1987 1 19 Good Times INXS And Jimmy Barnes
    Jan 1987 8 2 1 20 Big Time Peter Gabriel

20 top rock songs of 1988,,(not my list)

Jun 1988 1 1 1 1 Roll With It Steve Winwood
    Nov 1988 28 1 2 Orange Crush R.E.M.
    Feb 1988 1 3 Heaven Knows Robert Plant
    Dec 1988 14 18 1 4 Angel Of Harlem U2
    Jan 1988 6 7 1 5 Just Like Paradise David Lee Roth
    May 1988 1 6 Black And Blue Van Halen
    Jul 1988 2 1 1 7 Simply Irresistible Robert Palmer
    Feb 1988 3 1 1 8 Angel Aerosmith
    Feb 1988 2 1 2 9 Devil Inside INXS
    Jun 1988 30 18 2 10 I Know You're Out There Somewhere The Moody Blues
    Oct 1988 3 4 1 11 Desire U2
    Jul 1988 5 3 1 12 When It's Love Van Halen
    Aug 1988 13 11 1 13 Finish What Ya Started Van Halen
    Mar 1988 25 1 14 Tall Cool One Robert Plant
    Jun 1988 5 8 1 15 The Valley Road Bruce Hornsby And The Range
    Aug 1988 1 16 Hate To Lose Your Lovin' Little Feat
    Apr 1988 1 17 Only A Memory The Smithereens
    May 1988 2 18 After Midnight LIVE Eric Clapton
    Dec 1988 1 19 When Love Comes To Town U2 With B.B. King
    Apr 1988 3 2 2 20 New Sensation INXS
  • Options
    When talking about bands that are from the same era, I would limit that list to bands going through the same start up period as each other. That way there is a direct comparison to what market demand was, what the band had to do to "make it" and what impact the band had on music.

When talking about the talent of the band, break them down and look at their talent individually. Each instrument. Then look at them collectively as a band, how they play together, how they write together, how much longevity their music has, etc.

based on those paramiters, GnR can hang with any band.

how bout this, rather than argue about GnR's legitimacy, tell me who, in the same era is a better band? I will listen to your suggestions, and you do me a favor. Watch a simple documentary about GnR, hell, watch the Behind The Music. If you fell like they are not a worthy or influential band after doing some back research, I will respect your opinion. So that's my schooling... issuing you homework. lol
  • Options
    BigT06:
    When talking about bands that are from the same era, I would limit that list to bands going through the same start up period as each other. That way there is a direct comparison to what market demand was, what the band had to do to "make it" and what impact the band had on music.

When talking about the talent of the band, break them down and look at their talent individually. Each instrument. Then look at them collectively as a band, how they play together, how they write together, how much longevity their music has, etc.

how bout this, rather than argue about GnR's legitimacy, tell me who, in the same era is a better band? I will listen to your suggestions, and you do me a favor. Watch a simple documentary about GnR, hell, watch the Behind The Music. If you fell like they are not a worthy or influential band after doing some back research, I will respect your opinion. So that's my schooling... issuing you homework. lol
    Ok based on Talent are you saying GnR can hang with bands like Led Zeppelin, The Who, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cream, Rush, & Aerosmith to name a few??? Cmon...I wanna hear you say it..lol
  • Options
    The Kid:
    BigT06:

Ok based on Talent are you saying GnR can hang with bands like Led Zeppelin, The Who, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cream, Rush, & Aerosmith to name a few??? Cmon...I wanna hear you say it..lol
    yes...
  • Options
    The Kid:
    BigT06:

As a former professional musician (guitar player and singer) I can assure you, that yes, the musicians in GnR can play their respective instruments at the very highest level. If you wanna look at the top 1/4 of 1% of players in the world and say that if Slash isn't as good as Clapton, then I can't be right, then this isn't a point I have any desire of discussing further. I can go back and forth with you about who is the greatest guitar player that ever lived, the best bassist, drummer, etc... but that isn't even the point. The point was, GnR are an extremely talented band that deserve to be in the HOF based on their merit. Not based on the fact that the HOF has made poor selections in the past.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    The Kid:
    BigT06:

NO. I don't think Lynyrd belongs in that grouping, eiither. Personally, I really believe Rock is Dead, I guess Neil was wrong. IMO it lived between the Buddy Holly era until U2, but it is no more.