Home Cigar 101

Humidor at 62

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
I live in a northern MN.  In the winter I cannot keep my sticks at proper level in humidor so I store in plastic bags with water pillows at a consistent 72 which to me gives a bit of a tough draw..

Just re-seasoned the humidifer and tossed about 20 sticks that were in the bags in there and it has been a week and reads 62.....any issues here?

When I re-seasoned I had it at about 68 with a bowl of distilled water in it after I rubbed down the inside with distilled water the second time but now with the sticks in there and no bowl of distilled water it has dropped to 62.

I have the cheapo humidifcation device that came with it and also two water pillows in there...

Interested in feedback...thanks

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    You need beads or gel bro... Cheap humi=bad rh
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All depends on your tastes brother, to me, nothing wrong with a 62. I keep my cooler in the 62 - 65 range.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Its common that putting sticks in will drop it tempoarily down a fewrh points. If you want it a few points higher i suggest investing in 65 or 70 conservagel or heartfelt beads. And it may go up slowly on its own if you have some type of humidifying element in there. But most everyone will tell you if you want hassle free peace of mind humidification, go beads or gels.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    All depends on your tastes brother, to me, nothing wrong with a 62. I keep my cooler in the 62 - 65 range.
    +1
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ain't nothin' wrong with the big six-two. I have 65% beads but I like it if the RH drops to 62. My sticks burn quite well at that level......
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I routinely keep mine in the 62-65% range. In humid environs it helps with draw and combustion
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Boveda Packs will prob be the quickest easiest way to fix this if you feel it is a problem . Drop in and forget , change as directed . No need to worry with beads and misting and gels etc . DROP AND FORGET ... FOOL PROOF .
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    What is a good hygrometer to get I'm currently using the one that came in my humid? I'm hearing a lot if talk about the digital but when I salt tested mine is was right on the money. But for some reason I am into week 2 and still staying at 70% I open my humi fir a few hours and let it drop down then it shoots back up to 70. I haven't added my smokes yet cause I want a constant 65-68%... any suggestions out there?? And sorry for thread jumping....
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Add the sticks. That will prob make it drop a couple %. Never know for sure till you do... it's hard to pinpoint your RH until you have your humi and cigars how you intend to store them. If it drops or spikes, we will guide you through it.
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Add the sticks. That will prob make it drop a couple %. Never know for sure till you do... it's hard to pinpoint your RH until you have your humi and cigars how you intend to store them. If it drops or spikes, we will guide you through it.

Thanks.. ill try that and let u know.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    ZAP:
    I live in a northern MN.  In the winter I cannot keep my sticks at proper level in humidor so I store in plastic bags with water pillows at a consistent 72 which to me gives a bit of a tough draw..

Just re-seasoned the humidifer and tossed about 20 sticks that were in the bags in there and it has been a week and reads 62.....any issues here?

When I re-seasoned I had it at about 68 with a bowl of distilled water in it after I rubbed down the inside with distilled water the second time but now with the sticks in there and no bowl of distilled water it has dropped to 62.

I have the cheapo humidifcation device that came with it and also two water pillows in there...

Interested in feedback...thanks
    Minnesota, dry in the winter humid in the summer. Don't fret a 62% humidor. This will save you dryboxing time. ISOM cigars you long term at 65rh or so and smoke at 72rh. Give it a month and see if the outside humidity starts kicking up your humidor.