Home Cigar 101

Novice

I am a novice to cigar smoking. What is a good cigar for beginners? Do I need to purchase a humidor? How long can a cigar stay fresh without being in a humidor?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Welcome. A good cigar to start with, I'd say look into the 5 Vegas Gold or Classic, also the Cigar.com house blends are pretty good and easy on the wallet, the Cuban blend is my favorite. You don't absolutely have to buy a humidor, but it is recommended. You can get by with a large tupperware type container, something that seals tightly to keep moisture in. You really won't want to keep a cigar outside of a humidor (or some tight sealed container) for too long, a day is too long to leave a cigar out unless it is in a bag, even then you won't want to leave a cigar in a bag for too long without humidification.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Welcome. A good cigar to start with, I'd say look into the 5 Vegas Gold or Classic, also the Cigar.com house blends are pretty good and easy on the wallet, the Cuban blend is my favorite. You don't absolutely have to buy a humidor, but it is recommended. You can get by with a large tupperware type container, something that seals tightly to keep moisture in. You really won't want to keep a cigar outside of a humidor (or some tight sealed container) for too long, a day is too long to leave a cigar out unless it is in a bag, even then you won't want to leave a cigar in a bag for too long without humidification.
    couldn't have said it better myself! +1!
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    SlickRS:

I am a novice to cigar smoking. What is a good cigar for beginners? Do I need to purchase a humidor? How long can a cigar stay fresh without being in a humidor?

-A mild cigar. I suggest these (in order of preference with respect to price as well): 5 Vegas Gold, Cusano M1, Ashton Classic, Cigar.com house labels purple or blue, Cusano18 Double Connecticut, Rocky Patel Connecticut, Romeo&Julietta Reserva Real

-Yes, you need a humidor, a 40-50ish count one. You wont regret this.

-Thats a complicated question, it depends on if you have it in a tupperware container with humidity packs, or even just keep it in the ziploc with humidity packs that cigar.com sends the order in. If you keep it with some form of humidification...probably a few weeks at least. If you're referring to just out in the open....degredation after 1 hour, unsmokable after 1 day (at least in my climate).
    Oh darn it to hell...jozer outposted me by like 3 seconds. Come on! And we said the exact same thing...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Vidarien:
    Oh darn it to hell...jozer outposted me by like 3 seconds. Come on! And we said the exact same thing...
    (>_<)
  • SlickRSSlickRS Posts: 44
    Thanks for all your help.Wish me luck.
    Thanks for all your help. Wish me luck.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vidarien:

yes you will regret this.

... go bigger

WAY bigger.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Vidarien:

... go bigger

WAY bigger.
    I'll second this one! Most people start out with a small humidor thinking that will be more than enough for now... but you soon realize that your stock pile of smokes grows rapidly and all the sudden your humidor is full but you are constantly finding new smokes that you want.

I would suggest about a 150 ct humi. That will get you started.
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    I started with a small shoebox sized tupperware container, then bought a 50-75ct humidor, and then bought a medium sized cooler to turn into a coolerdor that will hold about 500 sticks. This happened in a period of about 3 months. Needless to say, but if you find that you enjoy cigars, skip the middle and just pick up a large humidor 300+ or build a coolerdor for cheap. It'll save you the hassle in the long run.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Vidarien:

As Nelson Muntz would say..."HA ha"

"Long ashes my friends."

• I agree w/ what they say about the humi. I've been smoking for about 3 months and started w/ a 50 count, after finding ccom that filled fast w/ their daily deals and chk out offers; not to mention the trips to the B&M shops around here. Now I am definately in the market for a bigger humi.
    Thanks for your help. Wish me luck.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    SlickRS:
    Thanks for your help. Wish me luck.
    ummmm. Good Luck ! x 3
    PuroFreak:
    kuzi16:
    Vidarien:

... go bigger

WAY bigger.
    I'll second this one! Most people start out with a small humidor thinking that will be more than enough for now... but you soon realize that your stock pile of smokes grows rapidly and all the sudden your humidor is full but you are constantly finding new smokes that you want.

I would suggest about a 150 ct humi. That will get you started.
    I'm going to go with save yourself a bother and get a 300 count. I can send you some info on a great place to get one. A 300 count may fit max 175 smokes though it depends on what you have in there. My dome has about 90 or so. Maybe more but I have some large ring gauges in it.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with all of the above as I made the mistake that most do. Started out with a 10-15 count, thinking "ah, I only smoke once in a while. This will be plenty of room." Few months later it was the small one and a 25 count. Then the 25 and a 150. Then the 25, 150 and a 130. Now it's a 25, 150, 130 and a 50 count.

As much as a cabinet would make more sense, I already have all those up and running. Plus, I like having one for long term aging, one for shorter aging, one for smokes to share and everyday smokes and one for overstock.

I think I need a new humi....
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Rob1110:
    I have to agree with all of the above as I made the mistake that most do. Started out with a 10-15 count, thinking "ah, I only smoke once in a while. This will be plenty of room." Few months later it was the small one and a 25 count. Then the 25 and a 150. Then the 25, 150 and a 130. Now it's a 25, 150, 130 and a 50 count.

As much as a cabinet would make more sense, I already have all those up and running. Plus, I like having one for long term aging, one for shorter aging, one for smokes to share and everyday smokes and one for overstock.

I think I need a new humi....
    Quit playing games! You need a walk-in.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    haha. Don't we all? Funny a few guys I work with have suggested the same thing.
    well, you could always send me a few of those humis to lessen the strain your having. of course I'd expect them to be full....
    I knew i was going to take flak about the 50 count humidor...but i went ahead and said it anyway. I just figured since he was JUST beginning that he could always upgrade later on if he enjoys the hobby.