Home Cigar 101

For those with cooler-dors

Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
Thanks to a combination of the beard and the sprint sale i've had to bust out the cooler-dor(Damn You CCOM!). Problem is the humidity is way high. I put in a boveda 69 packet and RH is 73, took it out and aired it out for 20 minutes and put in a very small gel jar, 4 hours later RH is back to 72. Calibrated the digital hygro twice to rule that out and compared it to the one inmy regular humi and its dead on. Thoughts...

Comments

• taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    What size coolerador? And what all do you have in it? # of sticks, boxes, etc.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hey Vinny. That's the one downside of a cooler, they seal so damn tight that RH spikes. My suggestion is to use 65% beads. I have a pound of beads in two half pound sacks and I don't need to charge them but every six months or so.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    j0z3r:
    Hey Vinny. That's the one downside of a cooler, they seal so damn tight that RH spikes. My suggestion is to use 65% beads. I have a pound of beads in two half pound sacks and I don't need to charge them but every six months or so.
    +1/ I would suggest putting them in dry, in order to let them absorb some of the excess humidity. Hope this helps, keep us posted!

• MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    If temp is down should be fine!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
    The Sniper:
    j0z3r:
    +1/ I would suggest putting them in dry, in order to let them absorb some of the excess humidity. Hope this helps, keep us posted!

Good point, I forgot to mention that.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    j0z3r:

+2

I use 65 in mines and it stays at 68-69.

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    RCY Cigars:
    The Sniper:
    j0z3r:

+2

I use 65 in mines and it stays at 68-69.

+3
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    It's just a smaller 10qt cooler, cigars only, no boxes and only a few small pieces of cedar. I have about 40 ish cigars in it now but that number will be going up shortly....damn you ccom...damn you... I was hoping to hear a gel or boveda fix but guess im going to have to go buy beads, oh well not having to worry about it in the long run will be worth it. Thanks guys!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Vinny...you know if you need some wood....
    Hehe, Dustin has wood for you Vinny.

Huh-huh he said wood.

j0z3r:
    Hehe, Dustin has wood for you Vinny.

Huh-huh he said wood.

actually if they were smoking cigars that would be me and dustin in my garage !
    I don't doubt it for a second Vinny. The question is, which one are you?
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    It's just a smaller 10qt cooler, cigars only, no boxes and only a few small pieces of cedar. I have about 40 ish cigars in it now but that number will be going up shortly....damn you ccom...damn you... I was hoping to hear a gel or boveda fix but guess im going to have to go buy beads, oh well not having to worry about it in the long run will be worth it. Thanks guys!
    In any event Id reccomend adding more cedar,,with it be boxes, humi trays,, something,, and remember not to use american cedar..spanish cedar only..
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    The Kid:
    Jetmech_63:
    In any event Id reccomend adding more cedar,,with it be boxes, humi trays,, something,, and remember not to use american cedar..spanish cedar only..
    x2, it really helps regulate humidity, just one box in my old 16 qt (using a gel jar) helped keep it at 67-68% where it had been running up to 72-73% without it.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Jetmech_63:

How many Boveda Packs you have in there Vinny ? I have one about the same size and use 3 Boveda 69's . One piece of spanish cedar about the length of the cooler and mine stays spot on . Me be thinkin if you only have one in there thats the problem .
    Only have one but no cedar, I'm busting up some cigar boxes at the moment and will line it tonight, we'll see :)
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Jetmech_63:
    Only have one but no cedar, I'm busting up some cigar boxes at the moment and will line it tonight, we'll see :)

The cedar will help . I have 48 cigars in mine right now . I think you should use 2-3 Boveda Pack though , like I said , I have 3 in mine and it stays spot on at 68-69 . Good luck with it .
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Hey Vinny, PM you addy to me and I'll send you out 1/2 lb 65% beads. That should be plenty.