Home Cigar 101

Size limitations?

havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
I've observed that nondiscriminating buyers (generally younger guys who know very little about quality) often reach for the longest cigar they can find. Makes sense, because it seems like a better value. My question is: if size sells, why don't cigar makers come up with 14 inch, or 16 inch options. Impossible to store without breaking? Impossible to ship? Impossible to make? I'd love to have a 16 incher for golf or cards.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    They can be made, but I think huge cigars like that would turn away more people than they would attract. I'd never buy a cigar over 9 inches myself, and even those are rarities for me. Here's one really long cigar though:

Puros Indios Chief
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    The fuente Opus X A size is 9.2 inches, and i think thats plenty long enough for most connoisseurs.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    j0z3r:
    They can be made, but I think huge cigars like that would turn away more people than they would attract. I'd never buy a cigar over 9 inches myself, and even those are rarities for me. Here's one really long cigar though:

Puros Indios Chief
    Wow
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    j0z3r:

Puros Indios Chief
    I saw a couple of guys smoke one about that size. Their names were Cheech and Chong. It was full flavored and delivered a ton of smoke. It looked like they really enjoyed it.
    bwcarter54:
    j0z3r:

Puros Indios Chief
    I saw a couple of guys smoke one about that size. Their names were Cheech and Chong. It was full flavored and delivered a ton of smoke. It looked like they really enjoyed it.
    Haha. My dad was telling me about a Cheech and Chong album he had when he was younger, said it came with a rolling paper the size of the record sleeve. You just don't see that kind of stuff these days.
  • j0z3r:
    bwcarter54:
    j0z3r:

Puros Indios Chief
    Haha. My dad was telling me about a Cheech and Chong album he had when he was younger, said it came with a rolling paper the size of the record sleeve. You just don't see that kind of stuff these days.
    My dad had the same cheech and chong record. The record case was a huge rolling paper package. One side was the record and the other had a HUGE rolling paper in it! Well the week I discovered this I invited a 3 friends over and we... well, it took a lot of "green filler" to roll that bad boy. pops was pissed...
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    How the heck would you smoke that thing? 2 hands, a stand, pay a midget to hold it up for you?
  • LOL!!! It was huge! about 18" long and around 2.5 inches wide!! Prolly a 300 ring guage lol! 2 hands was the ticket! We all prety much passed out about 1/4 way through. I know I have some pictures somewhere. I wish I would have thought of the midget at the time but I was young and foolish...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    AF also makes a Hemmingway thats in the neighborhood of 10-12 inches. thats too much cigar. I dont wanna sit there for 3 hours with almost the same flavor profile. id get bored.

i thought that you were gunna say the younger folk reach for the larger ring gauge cigar. i think its because they burn cooler and therefore taste better to the impatient younger smoker.
    kuzi16:
    AF also makes a Hemmingway thats in the neighborhood of 10-12 inches. thats too much cigar. I dont wanna sit there for 3 hours with almost the same flavor profile. id get bored.
    The Masterpiece, and it's like 9 x 52. It doesn't smoke quite as long as you'd think given how big it is. I may have smoked a bit quicker than my usual pace on the one I had since it lasted around 90 minutes (I know, that sounds awfully short) but I just don't see it lasting much longer than 2 hours, it just burned really fast. The Masterpiece does add an interesting dynamic to the Hemingway, not sure I could put it into words, but it is definitely different from the smaller sizes.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    The Masterpiece, and it's like 9 x 52. It doesn't smoke quite as long as you'd think given how big it is. I may have smoked a bit quicker than my usual pace on the one I had since it lasted around 90 minutes (I know, that sounds awfully short) but I just don't see it lasting much longer than 2 hours, it just burned really fast. The Masterpiece does add an interesting dynamic to the Hemingway, not sure I could put it into words, but it is definitely different from the smaller sizes.
    9 X 52 and its only 90 mins? I'd like to see how they are constructed, just to see if it has something to do with under filling or something. That just sounds too short for something that long.
    I think it could have gone for 2 hours, but I just don't think it would have gone much longer, I hadn't increased my smoking speed that much. It is odd though, given its size and all.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive had an 8 inch cigar last almost two and a half hours. 9 would be way to long for me. I smoke slow. ive had robustos last an hour and a half.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I smoke fairly slow most of the time too. An average robusto lasts me around 1 hour 15 min. I could smoke something around the 8 inch range, but anything more than that and I might get tired of it.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I had the Masterpiece, and it lasted over 2 hrs. I was battling a cracked wrapper near the foot at the foot, and smoked it pretty fast until I got past that point. Seems like 2-2.5 hrs would be normal for that one. That much cigar had me ready for a nap by the time it was finished, so I had a nice siesta. It ended up being the perfect cigar to stay outside playing some lasso golf on a beautiful day. What Kuzi said about becoming bored with it, though, is certainly valid if I were sitting still for that amount of time trying to pay attention to nothing but the flavor.
  • SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    The largest cigar that I smoke from time to time is the Gloria de Cubana Charlemagne and that's enough. Anything more simply overwhelms my pallette for one sitting.
    kuzi16:
    ive had an 8 inch cigar last almost two and a half hours. 9 would be way to long for me. I smoke slow. ive had robustos last an hour and a half.
    That's what I'm trying to say though, I wasn't smoking particularly fast, just the cigar seemed to burn faster than usual. I usually take between 70-90 minutes for a robusto, up to 2 hours for a churchill, 90 minutes minimum for a toro. I'm not a super slow smoker, but I'm also not a huff and puff kinda smoker either. So, I don't know, something was out of the norm.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I like the Masterpiece, and j0z3r's right that it adds besides size to the smaller Hemingways, but I hardly ever smoke one.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have one more Masterpiece Maduro. I remember, the first one I had had a litle chunk missing near the foot and it still smoked ok. Took a long time to smoke though. Even though it is a 52 ring, it was a tight draw. I'm not sure if I have any regular hemingway masterpieces. I don't normally smoke something that large but I was experimenting and not really paying attention to the size. If I had been aware of how big it really was, I would have gone with something smaller.
  • A friend of mine smokes a churchill all the way to the nub while I just about pass the halfway point on a robusto. he's a power smoker
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    7.5 is the longest I'd smoke. I don't like things longer than 6.5 or maybe 7... man that sounds bad...
    phobicsquirrel:
    7.5 is the longest I'd smoke. I don't like things longer than 6.5 or maybe 7... man that sounds bad...
    **** envy? It's ok, I don't like anything longer than a rothschild. :D
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    LOL! Is this why Urby is such a big (little?) fan of the Camacho 1962 Perfecto?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    hey you'd be surprise on what 7 inches can do... =p

on a side note, I really don't know how someone could smoke a, oh say Opus X "A". that thing is f'in huge..
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    dutyje:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    LOL! Is this why Urby is such a big (little?) fan of the Camacho 1962 Perfecto?
    Yep. Some of us are daintier than others.
    phobicsquirrel:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    hey you'd be surprise on what 7 inches can do... =p

on a side note, I really don't know how someone could smoke a, oh say Opus X "A". that thing is f'in huge..
    Well, let me ask you this: have you ever tried smoking a cigar that is 9 inches long? Yeah it takes some time and devotion, but it also gives a different experience and can be the ultimate in relaxation...with a 9 inch cigar, you don't have much of a choice but to relax. Remember Green Eggs and Ham? "Try them, try them, you will see." :)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    'Yo Joe...Three a day joe knows all about relaxing. I just can't sit still that long and I hate the relight bitterness, it would be a waste to me. Robusto/Toro.. that seems to be the size I smoke most often, so all my " larger sizes " get some serious age on them.
    Yeah, I guess I can see that. If you can't sit still for that long, then it wouldn't work...me?, I have no problem sitting on my ass for a few hours at a time...I'm on my feet enough that sitting down for an extended period is a blessing.