Home Cigar 101

Cut-end cigars

JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
I stopped by the B&M on my way home from grocery shopping and I saw these little Irish Cigarillos sitting by the pipe tobacco. I grabbed one of each of the blends just to try them out. I noticed, though, that they are already cut. Is this a good sign of a dry cured product or is it just that they are open for convenience? they were also unwrapped, if this helps.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I would say there is a good chance they are dry cured.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably so
  • JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    Fond out from the guy at the B & M that they are, indeed, dry cured. Haven't had them yet, though. Another question along the same lines is this. Does dry cured automatically mean machine made or do they dry cure hand rolled cigars sometimes? The fillers are a mix of long and short which is what makes me ask.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Generally speaking, dry-cured cigars are machine made. Now there may well be some exceptions, but I wouldn't expect too many as they're typically cheap and would therefor necessitate economic production methods.
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    I think almost all "mini" cigarillo sizes (21-27rg) are manufactured with open ends. Likewise, most are machine-made dry cured and manufactured in Europe.

Sure it's for the convenience.

Likewise most in the "mini" size range are not individually cello-wrapped. That they are celloed is something I don't like about Don Lino Habanitos.

I was surprised the other day to see on a packet of Davidoff cigarillos, a little 'tell-tale' on the inner paper of the packet saying "Light this end".