Home Cigar 101

Humidity questions

cmartincmartin Posts: 130
After thinking about what you guys have said on my post diesel D7 i got to thinking about the humidity in my humi. I have a desktop 50ct humi. I have a small xikar gel jar and a small tube with beads in it. I have the jar and tube at different ends of the humi. I have my hygrometer at the center and it reads 68%. It is recently calibrated. Had a Rocky Patel do the same thing today. Not as bad as the diesel but not as even as the other cigars out of the same humi. I just seasoned my new coolidor and have som extra KL. should I empty the gel jar and fill it with the KL or could I just had a bad stick? I had a Gurkha yesterday while mowing the grass with no issue. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Digital hygro?
  • cmartincmartin Posts: 130
    Sorry. Yes it is digital.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Boveda Packs ... easiest thing in the world to use ...
  • When'd you get the cigar, and how long was it resting before you smoked it? A lot of retailers ship cigars a little on the wet side, which is why it's good to give them a little rest before smoking.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    cmartin:
    After thinking about what you guys have said on my post diesel D7 i got to thinking about the humidity in my humi. I have a desktop 50ct humi. I have a small xikar gel jar and a small tube with beads in it. I have the jar and tube at different ends of the humi. I have my hygrometer at the center and it reads 68%. It is recently calibrated. Had a Rocky Patel do the same thing today. Not as bad as the diesel but not as even as the other cigars out of the same humi. I just seasoned my new coolidor and have som extra KL. should I empty the gel jar and fill it with the KL or could I just had a bad stick? I had a Gurkha yesterday while mowing the grass with no issue. Any advice is appreciated.
    I can't speak about the beads due to never using them but I will talk about the jar's. If when you fill it with distilled water or Xikar solution and the gels swell's up there good I've had mine way longer than the manufactuter recommends they last a long time I think Xikar recommends there solution but I don't beleive it's neccassary. Depending on what you needs are you can put on or take off the lid with holes in it that comes with them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i think the beads are great. i used them for years. i switched to the Xikar gel about a year ago. this winter i had a bit more difficult time keeping the RH up. the thing is, a Low RH wont hurt the burn, just the flavor.
    im sticking with the gel, but i will still promote the beads.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you calibrate your hygrometer ?
    Ya. It's calibrated. I just got it about 2 weeks ago. I think I just had to let the smokes rest a little longer. Still might switch out the gel for the kitty litter in my 50ct. Not sure yet.
    I give up. I opened up my cooler this am and it jumped up To 77%.I'm done messing with that kitty litter. I'm going to order some beads today. I think I'll get te 65% bc of the high humidity here in Florida. Is that a good idea? Just gotta decide on which ones. The heartfelt beads are a lot more expensive.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    cmartin:
    I give up. I opened up my cooler this am and it jumped up To 77%.I'm done messing with that kitty litter. I'm going to order some beads today. I think I'll get te 65% bc of the high humidity here in Florida. Is that a good idea? Just gotta decide on which ones. The heartfelt beads are a lot more expensive.
    The brand of beads you buy does not make a difference, they are the same. When they get to you DO NOT charge them, just place them into your humi. and leave them to soak up the excess moisture. In a day or two you will be golden.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    not sure how that works. my KL is sittin pretty. let me know if it makes a difference.
    Krieger:
    not sure how that works. my KL is sittin pretty. let me know if it makes a difference.
    This has been discussed here before. The kitty litter seems like it may work in certain environments. However if you live in an area where there is very high humidity or where the humidity swings a great deal then the kitty litter can't do the job. These beads are designed to both take in and give off humidity within the range they are trained for. It is this ability that the beads have that the kitty litter just can't duplicate. If you live in an area where the kitty litter will work for you year round... consider yourself lucky.
    laker1963:
    Krieger:
    This has been discussed here before. The kitty litter seems like it may work in certain environments. However if you live in an area where there is very high humidity or where the humidity swings a great deal then the kitty litter can't do the job. These beads are designed to both take in and give off humidity within the range they are trained for. It is this ability that the beads have that the kitty litter just can't duplicate. If you live in an area where the kitty litter will work for you year round... consider yourself lucky.
    I live 15 minutes away from him, as do the other guys I have given kitty litter to. None have said anything about humidity spikes, so Im thinking his cooler just seals hella tight. My beads keep my cooler at 65-67 year round, and my main humidor at 69-70 with a PG jar in there as well, or a much nicer 67% without it. They definitely absorb and release humidity... that's the whole point of them, is to absorb, but by nature of the material they are made of, release as well. I always see much more stable RH with just KL than I do with KL and PG in the same area... the PG just keep releasing humidity 24/7 and eventually it always creeps higher. That's just my experiences over the last year or more now.
    Well, if it is his seal, the results may be similar with the beads. I leave the drain *** of my cooler open all the time and I am in and out of it so much that air exchange is NOT a problem. Have to wait and see if he has any better luck with the beads.
    I'm starting to think the seal on my cooler is crazy tight. I took out the litter and only left in the gel. I left it open for a couple hours to air out some. The gel is 70%. Now it's at 73% and holding. I ordered a couple cedar trays hopefully it'll even it out. I couldn't find the conservagel beads. Might order the heartfelt of the trays don't work.
    laker1963:
    Well, if it is his seal, the results may be similar with the beads. I leave the drain *** of my cooler open all the time and I am in and out of it so much that air exchange is NOT a problem. Have to wait and see if he has any better luck with the beads.
    I leave my seal open as well. Mine seals really tight, but I have over a pound of KL in my huge cooler, so it stays consistent.