Home Cigar 101

Question about humidors with drawers

mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am a complete newb (pridefully) and my father in law gave me a 200 count humidor.  Needless to say it is definitely on the empty side, but my question is about the seal.  I have seasoned it and the humidity is holding at 73.  My question is, without a lid to hear the "whoosh", how do I know if there is a good seal? Also, should I even care if my digital hygrometer stays consistent at 73.  Thanks to any info.

Dr M

Comments

• doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I did the flashlight test on mine: put a flashlight in your humi and completely darken the room. If you see light leaking through then you need to fix the seal. For mine I used some thin adhesive backed felt to put on the top of the drawer fronts. Worked like a charm.

As for your humi staying at 73 I would advise against itas you are in mold territory at extended time. I find also I get burn issues that high. my humi fluctuates between 65 &68 normally, though now and again it spikes at 70. Hope that helps!
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Thanks doromath, I will try that with a flashlight tonight! I read somewhere that an open seal can lead to high readings. I took the foam thing out and im holding steady at 71 now. Cigars are safe from what Ive heard!!!
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    It's a good thing you have a digital hygrometer as well. When you get a chance and if you have not already I would calibrate both hygrometers by doing the salt test. It's a fairly simple thing to do and the instructions can be found on google. Personally I would never trust a analog, the digital may be a few points off which could be why it's reading high. Also most solid wood humidors will have a good seal, some just will not but it's the glass tops you really have to be careful of. Hope this helps.
    Thanks Smokindaddy, I will do the salt test today. My humi has a glass top and 3 drawers. Hopefully, it is stabalized now and will stay within optimum range
    Smokindaddy is steering you true with doing the salt test. Never trust an uncalibrated hygrometer.

Also, you mentioned taking the foam out - what are you using for humidification? What you're using, and how you're using it can cause just as much variation as the seal.
    doromath:
    Smokindaddy is steering you true with doing the salt test. Never trust an uncalibrated hygrometer.

Also, you mentioned taking the foam out - what are you using for humidification? What you're using, and how you're using it can cause just as much variation as the seal.
    Well currently the foam/distilled water is all I have, I need to get some beads, but has to wait a bit due to the "quite large" (atleast in my opinion) order I made to ccom on Monday. Wish I wouldve thought to throw some beads in there but now gotta wait til next month.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your humi the Napoleon ll?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    Good choice on the beads. I run beads and two Drymistat tubes in both my humis. The Drymistats were my starting humidifiers and they didn't work bad at all. Now I use them to help keep the beads moist over time (some guys here use a small dish of distilled water near the beads for the same purpose). The tubes are good at putting out humidity, but you can't beat the beads for taking it out.
    danielzreyes:
    Had no ideas, as this was a gift, however I did look it up and it appears to be the exact same. Do you know anything about these?
    doromath:
    Good choice on the beads. I run beads and two Drymistat tubes in both my humis. The Drymistats were my starting humidifiers and they didn't work bad at all. Now I use them to help keep the beads moist over time (some guys here use a small dish of distilled water near the beads for the same purpose). The tubes are good at putting out humidity, but you can't beat the beads for taking it out.
    Thanks for all the help, right now I am staying at 68degrees and 71rh consistently, so hopefully I should be ok for a month or so until I can get some beads.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    danielzreyes:
    Had no ideas, as this was a gift, however I did look it up and it appears to be the exact same. Do you know anything about these?
    This was one of my first humis and Im still currently using it. (Around 100-110 sticks in it)The seal on those drawers are terrible. It will fail the dollar bill test in every which way. However, it still holds the RH like a champ. I use 2 gel jars in the top drawer and I'm good to go. 65-68%
    Get rid of the foam and definitely have a digi hygro. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    danielzreyes:
    mmccartneydc:
    danielzreyes:
    This was one of my first humis and Im still currently using it. (Around 100-110 sticks in it)The seal on those drawers are terrible. It will fail the dollar bill test in every which way. However, it still holds the RH like a champ. I use 2 gel jars in the top drawer and I'm good to go. 65-68%
    Get rid of the foam and definitely have a digi hygro. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Awesome info, thanks again Daniel.