Home General Discussion

Robbed by my long time friends :(

I wouldnt normally post about this but im drunk so here goes. Had some of my best friends from years past visit for a while. Hadnt talked to them in 10 or so years due to them getting into hard drugs and such. Heard they cleaned up so gave em a chance opened my home took em in. All was going great, talkin old times havin a few drinks and enjoying cigars. Low and behold im missing all the money I have in the world 800$ supposed to last me till my financial aid kicks in from school. Kick em out broken hearted as they were brothers to me. Now the kicker, open my little 30 count tupperdor and ouch many cigars missing, that hurts after Id been happily sharing and enjoying what cigars I had. Moral of the story be carefull who you invite in your home and choose friends wisely. And dont get on ccom drunk cause youll probly spill your guts.

Comments

• Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Bastards. Hope Karma catches up with them. Take care, bro.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Take them to small claims court? Chances are with a drug history, you aren't the first guy these people robbed. I'm sorry to hear about this, gab. PM me your address. Maybe I can help you at least with the missing cigars.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a real drag brother. Had something like that happen Christmas Eve. Big party with the whole extended family over even invited my mom-n-laws boyfried's daughter and her beau over. Everything was going great till someone came and got me and let me know there was 500$ missing from a couple purses.
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    My friend, I hate to hear stuff like this. Furthermore, I'm restraining myself for saying how I really feel. The good thing about your situation is the stuff they took are all replaceable items. In saying that, you are fortunate. You have a PM incoming...

• Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    Dude that is complete bs, I'm sorry your going threw this like some of the guys have stated we can help replace some of that!!! Pm inc!!!
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    Bastards. Hope Karma catches up with them. Take care, bro.
    +1 What comes around goes around. I have had a few occasions like that too. I gave a friend from high school a chance a couple years ago. We were to meet out for dinner and then have drinks and catch up. Well, guess what, he didnt show. I was baffled bc he wasnt answering or returning my calls, etc. Come to find out, they had raided his house the afternoon we were supposed to meet up and he went to prison for a long, long time. I may have totally got lucky there!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Yeah dude, I am sorry. This is why I am very picky who I have over my house and what I let people see. Having been robbed already I'm always ready to kick someones ass for this ***.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Sorry to hear that bro
  • JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    My bro-in-law used to do junk like that, so I know the feeling. Like others, I'm holding back how I really feel about this sorta stuff.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Been there, done that, a few times.
    And it always sucks..............

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Take them to small claims court? Chances are with a drug history, you aren't the first guy these people robbed. I'm sorry to hear about this, gab. PM me your address. Maybe I can help you at least with the missing cigars.
    thats a waste of time and money. taking them to small claims court is useless when they have nothing to their names. yea the judge can make them pay, but if they don't have money to pay, what are they going to do...
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Sorry to hear about that bro, that really sucks!

I've let myself be taken advantage of ALOT in my younger years and learned some really tough but valuable lessons. One of this is I never GIVE anyone a chance, ever. They have to EARN it and I'm more than happy to tell them what earning it looks like to me.

It's unfortunate that those with the biggest hearts make the easiest targets to stab in the back. Stay strong bro, move on and learn from it what you can!
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Call the police!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm sorry to hear that and I've been in the same boat myself. In the long run, it's no big deal so try not to sweat it and beat yourself up for being a good guy. No matter what you believe in, they will eventually get what's coming to them.
    Just an observation here, as this thread kicked up some bad memories, and like a few before me, I'll refrain from saying what I really want to say.
    Being a young man in the 60s & 70s, I grew up in the "drug era", and thus, was able to, on a first hand basis, watch and experience the destruction caused by cocaine, heroin, dirty hallucinations, and of course alcohol.
    (I'm sure young people today see the same things, and more now with meth, etc. amongst their friends.)

I have had 14 friends, family members, and business associates, get taken down by drugs and/or alcohol. I could have easily added another 10 or so, but they were really more "acquaintances", so I left them out.
    Unfortunately, the "data" is quite ugly on the 14:
    Dead - 3
    MIA - (no one has heard from them in many years) - 2
    Lives ruined beyond repair (homeless addicts, in/out of jail, multiple failed rehabs, etc.) - 4
    On the edge (functioning alcoholics and/or drug users with jobs, still managing, but.....) - 3
    Fully recovered - (leading healthy/happy/productive lives) - 2

It gets me depressed sometimes, but has also resulted in my being somewhat jaded and unsympathetic...............its' the same old story over and over again...........and at some point you're kind of over it.

• KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    No good deed ever goes un-punished. People suck. Thats why I like dogs.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Wow, that really pisses me off. I learned the hard way that there are very few people in this world that are willing and able to be true friends. You know, the ones who support you with their left hand while they slap some sense into you with their right hand. LOL! I guess that may be one reason I hate facebook so much. All these people saying they want to be your friends. Hey, when the *** hits the fan, you know where they will be... nowhere to be found. And to think that some people are proud they have 400 'friends' on facebook. Some friends. I bet if you ever run into them again they will be all buddy, buddy with you. PM incoming...
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry to hear this bro, that is truly despicable and terrible! Anything I can do to help let me know, really!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I have always been one to have very few "friends" but many acquaintances for that very reason. In the day of people having 10,000 "friends" on facebook, I would be the "lonely loser" with only a few.

In my book, if you're my friend then I feel safe opening up any part of my life because I know you would not take advantage of the situation. If I don't deel that way about you... then you are an acquaintance and I tend to be much more closed with acquaintances.

Sorry to hear about your situation Gabe, people suck sometimes. Karma has a way of working things out, your ex friends will find that out, in time. Take the lesson from the situation and move on bro, cause after the way you treated them and the way they repaid your generosity... you don't want to spend any time thinking about the situation any longer then you have to.
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    doromath:
    Sorry to hear about that bro, that really sucks!

I've let myself be taken advantage of ALOT in my younger years and learned some really tough but valuable lessons. One of this is I never GIVE anyone a chance, ever. They have to EARN it and I'm more than happy to tell them what earning it looks like to me.

It's unfortunate that those with the biggest hearts make the easiest targets to stab in the back. Stay strong bro, move on and learn from it what you can!
    I'm the same way. I freely give everyone my respect until they lose it, but trust is earned. Sorry you got burned.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    It sucks about the money for sure. Just be sure in knowing you did the right thing, and that was to try and help someone. Don't let a couple asshats take that away from ya. Karma is a *** and they will get theirs.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    That's a **** situation brother. PM me your address ASAP.
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    "Call the police". "take them to court"

What, for a laugh?

First: " taking them to small claims court is useless when they have nothing to their names. yea the judge can make them pay, ..."

That they may have nothing means nothing here. A judge wouldn''t even consider this. There is no proof of any wrong doing by any one. "Some" friends came by - who is the OP accusing specifically of doing what when? Was it a conspiracy between all visitors?

I don't mean to kick a man when he is down, but what was all your money in the world - $800 - doing in a place where a casual visitor could find it and steal it? What the hell? $800 wouldn't be all the money in the world I have, but still I would take care of it - it's a lot of money to almost all of us.

Don't get drunk. Pay attention. Oh, and get a job while you're waiting for financial aid.

Sounds mean and ****, but you will be better off if you do all three.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    FNA:
    "Call the police". "take them to court" What, for a laugh? First: " taking them to small claims court is useless when they have nothing to their names. yea the judge can make them pay, ..." That they may have nothing means nothing here. A judge wouldn''t even consider this. There is no proof of any wrong doing by any one. "Some" friends came by - who is the OP accusing specifically of doing what when? Was it a conspiracy between all visitors? I don't mean to kick a man when he is down, but what was all your money in the world - $800 - doing in a place where a casual visitor could find it and steal it? What the hell? $800 wouldn't be all the money in the world I have, but still I would take care of it - it's a lot of money to almost all of us. Don't get drunk. Pay attention. Oh, and get a job while you're waiting for financial aid. Sounds mean and ****, but you will be better off if you do all three.
    Guess we know what FNA stands for.
    KCW:
    How about "Friendly, Nice Advice"!
    I feel badly for the OP, but, I'm in 100% agreement with FNA here.
    Gaberox brought this on himself, and I know he knows that - it doesn't make it any better or easier to accept.
    Still, getting together for drinks! with people who have had problems in the past is never a good idea, period.
    You have to learn this, like I did, the hard way.

I wasn't going to go here - but now I am, and it's why I posted my previous thread about getting to a point of being "over it" - I'm freaking over it!
    *"They stole $800" ----- consider yourself lucky....... try $40,000+ which almost killed my start-up company in the early 90s.....took over a year to recover from that.
    *"They stole some cigars" ----- I had my car stolen, and $5,000+ in computer equipment (got my car back - trashed)
    * "I had to kick them out"----- I had to get legal help when my friend and former business partner (the "$40,000 man" mentioned above - one of my best friends, no longer with us) reported me and my two business partners to the FBI for International Bank Fraud - completely false and utterly ridiculous accusations, but since we had offices in Zurich and Frankfurt, it took time and money to clear us of all that crap.
    I could go on.......

So now, I'm jaded. I suffer fools badly, and I have no patience for drug addicts/alcoholics, even if they are former "friends".
    I have plenty of friends. I have no desire to rekindle old friendships with people I know are in the grips of addiction, or too close to it. They make bad decisions too often, and it's a risk I will not put my family, or myself in, for that matter, ever again.

• MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    KCW:
    Gaberox brought this on himself, and I know he knows that - it doesn't make it any better or easier to accept.
    Still, getting together for drinks! with people who have had problems in the past is never a good idea, period.

I wasn't going to go here - but now I am, and it's why I posted my previous thread about getting to a point of being "over it" - I'm freaking over it!
    *"They stole $800" ----- consider yourself lucky....... try $40,000+ which almost killed my start-up company in the early 90s.....took over a year to recover from that.
    *"They stole some cigars" ----- I had my car stolen, and $5,000+ in computer equipment (got my car back - trashed)
    * "I had to kick them out"----- I had to get legal help when my friend and former business partner (the "$40,000 man" mentioned above - one of my best friends, no longer with us) reported me and my two business partners to the FBI for International Bank Fraud - completely false and utterly ridiculous accusations, but since we had offices in Zurich and Frankfurt, it took time and money to clear us of all that crap.
    I could go on.......

So now, I'm jaded. I suffer fools badly, and I have no patience for drug addicts/alcoholics, even if they are former "friends".
    I have plenty of friends. I have no desire to rekindle old friendships with people I know are in the grips of addiction, or too close to it. They make bad decisions too often, and it's a risk I will not put my family, or myself in, for that matter, ever again.

+1 well said

• gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Big thanks to everyone in this thread. Really put things in perspective from the support and kind words to the tough love its all good advice. Thats why I love this forum. Was stupid to have cash around. sadly I just split with my fiance and closed a shared account and hadnt got around to reopening the new one. Still my fault I know that. Also got laid off from my job a couple months ago which explains the low level of funds lol. Again thanks everyone!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    MTuccelli:
    KingoftheCove:
    KCW:

I could go on.......

+1 well said

+ 2

The one thing that I think people fail to realize or take into consideration when dealing with people who are/were former drug addicts , even if they are recovered , " They are NOT and NEVER will be the people/friends you knew before . THEY ARE NOT THE SAME PERSON ! Thats reality , just the way it is . There is always a demon within them that must be controlled and kept in check - The problem is you cant tell the difference in who is going to be able to do that versus who cant .

I'm going to use Pit Bulls as an example . ( I love all dogs including Pits and this is for demonstration purposes only because of their rep only ) Would you leave your child in a fenced in yard with a Pit Bull or any thing else that had a bad reputation , deserved or not , while you did something else that allowed said child to be unattended even for a couple of minutes ? I would not , because you know the possibilities and you must be responsible for your actions and safty for yourself and anything/one you care about .
    Disclaimer : Much love to the Pit Bull community , as I said I love all dogs and this is just an example - I think they get a bad rap sometimes but on the otherhand they have tore the shreds outta people before too .

Gaberox , very very very sorry to hear of this brother .
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    What a bunch of azzholes
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    gaberox:
    I wouldnt normally post about this but im drunk so here goes. Had some of my best friends from years past visit for a while. Hadnt talked to them in 10 or so years due to them getting into hard drugs and such. Heard they cleaned up so gave em a chance opened my home took em in. All was going great, talkin old times havin a few drinks and enjoying cigars. Low and behold im missing all the money I have in the world 800$ supposed to last me till my financial aid kicks in from school. Kick em out broken hearted as they were brothers to me. Now the kicker, open my little 30 count tupperdor and ouch many cigars missing, that hurts after Id been happily sharing and enjoying what cigars I had. Moral of the story be carefull who you invite in your home and choose friends wisely. And dont get on ccom drunk cause youll probly spill your guts.
    PM me your addy. Ill send after cfest.