Home General Discussion

Smoke time

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
Probably a dumb question but I'll ask it anyhow.

Why do some cigars take a lot longer to smoke than others of similar length?

Today I had a Gurkha Crest which burned for about 90 minutes.

I had a Nica Libre of similar size (perhaps a little smaller) that burned much quicker....30 minutes...

Both were good..the Crest was much better but I enjoyed the Nica more than I have in the past.

My guess is the tighter packed it is the longer it smokes?   My guess is the Nica is a cheaper smoke and not as well constructed?  Just musing....would love to hear thoughts...

Comments

• Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    My personal experience has led me to believe it could be a couple of things. The first is a tighter pack will take longer to smoke. I've had some, of the same cigar, that smoked 1+ hour and I've had one or two that barley lasted 30 minutes. Also, sometimes, I've noticed that if I really like the cigar that I used to have a tendency to smoke it quick and those that I didn't love I would take longer with.

I can say though that I have noticed loose packed sticks in both cheaper ones ($2-$3) and more expensive sticks ($8-$12). These are hand made so it can happen from time to time.

Rob
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Another factor would be the tobaccos the cigar is made from. Some tobaccos are going to burn slower than others and that will play a part. I'm thinking it's probably a combination of the looser pack and tobaccos involved that led to such a burn time disparity despite similar sizes.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Another factor would be the tobaccos the cigar is made from. Some tobaccos are going to burn slower than others and that will play a part. I'm thinking it's probably a combination of the looser pack and tobaccos involved that led to such a burn time disparity despite similar sizes.
    +1 rate of burn is something a blender has to contend with when working with a new blend, filler,binder wrapper,, all has to be in harmony,,ive read where the binder somehow plays a bigger role but i dont know for sure??,,excellent question
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Bobbo2009:
    Also, sometimes, I've noticed that if I really like the cigar that I used to have a tendency to smoke it quick and those that I didn't love I would take longer with.
    very interesting. wouldnt you want it to last longer so you would smoke slower?

have you ever smoked so fast that you changed it to the negative and didnt like it anymore?

some time you should try smoking that cigar you like a bit slower and see how well it does for you.